Author Topic: Lanterns-Propane or duel fuel?  (Read 5399 times)

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lanterns-Propane or duel fuel?
« on: Dec 24, 2010, 12:06 AM »
Looking into getting a lantern. Just wonderin the pros and cons to the two different fuels. Coleman is the only good one i know of. does any other company make good lanterns? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Lanterns-Propane or duel fuel?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2010, 12:09 AM »
I use duel fuel lantern only becuase It's much easier for me to just bring the lantern all fueled up for one trip.  I don't like lugging two 1# tanks.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2010, 12:53 AM »
I have both. The dual fuel for 20 yrs. the LP for 3. I like the LP for the fact no need to pump it and with a splitter post off the 20# tank it puts the light up high.

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2010, 04:08 AM »
i have both i seem to use the propane alot more not becuse its better i'm just being lazy about refuling  ;D

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2010, 07:25 AM »
Think about getting a good LED lantern. No gas, just turn on a switch and the batteries last for ever.

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2010, 07:33 AM »
If duel fuel is white gas then go with propane. You won't have gas smell on your hands when handling bait and jigs plus the fuel lanterns quality aren't what they used to be. No changing carburators, oiling pumps spilling gas et al.

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2010, 07:35 AM »
Oh and no lighting matches in the wind.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2010, 07:38 AM »
White gas is my choice...  It burns hotter, brighter and longer on a tank of gas....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2010, 07:39 AM »
you are right if you want the heat.  But my choice is LED

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2010, 08:04 AM »
i get sick of picking up empty prop cans of the ice.so i like my white gas and daul fuel colemans.

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2010, 08:40 AM »
I use LP...and use the mac-coupler to refill 'em...saves a bundle in $$$

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2010, 10:43 AM »
I use LP...and use the mac-coupler to refill 'em...saves a bundle in $$$
x2

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2010, 12:32 PM »
ANother vote for dual fuel!  It's nice to have an option on fuel.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2010, 01:47 PM »
Wow these votes are pretty close. DF-4 VS. LP-5 so far. So on colemans website it says unleaded gasoline or their camp fuel. is their fuel white gas? Im leaning toward the gas cause i do want the heat. my buddy has one and it doesnt get REALLY cold here in IN so no heater just lantern usually. Warms up the Clam 2000 pretty nicely w/o buying a $100 little buddy heater. Rather have the $75 lantern, u can use it all year long too. Thanks guys!

Offline major257

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2010, 01:48 PM »
I have been using LP for 20 years. I had white gas growing up and it seemed brighter so last year I went to the Coleman outlet and the brightest they had was an LP lantern. It has a mantle that goes 3" from top to bottom and it really is the best lantern out there. I suggest you stay with Coleman and not go cheap for what ever you buy.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Coleman for over 40 years :o :o Price of coleman fuel is pretty high though. Looking for a good led   Steve

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2010, 02:47 PM »
Coleman for over 40 years :o :o Price of coleman fuel is pretty high though. Looking for a good led   Steve

In all due respect...alkaline batteries are even more expensive, and even though LED's are very energy efficient, the cold air will sock the batteries up quicker, and light output (in my opinion) does not compare to the LP. Although the LED lantern does have its place, I dont believe its ice fishing...but then again thats my two cents.  :whistle:

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2010, 05:40 PM »
the propane lanterns are cleaner and simpler,but the white gas lanterns seem to burn more effiecant...imo

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:19 PM »
The nice thing about dual fuel, if you run out of naphtha (white gas), you can run regular unleaded with no problems.

Offline T.W

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:26 PM »
I like the duel fuel. I also have an old coleman lantern my dad bought me in 1975. Still works like a champ. Any one use the led shelter lights yet?

Offline Reel Force

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2010, 07:19 PM »
A lantern for a Clam 2000 - Food for thought - small confined space - no low O2 shut off = take a nap,  might never wake up .... Safety first !!! Buddy heater on low - nice and toasty - led light - warmth will prolong battery life... me 2 cents. Want ya to be around for next year !!!
    "It's easier to ask for forgiveness, then ask for permission"

Offline country boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2010, 07:37 PM »
 regular Colman fuel is that  naphtha witch is a solvent or paint thinner and is it also called white gas?

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2010, 07:44 PM »
Coleman fuel = white gas = naphtha

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #23 on: Dec 24, 2010, 10:56 PM »
regular Colman fuel is that  naphtha witch is a solvent or paint thinner and is it also called white gas?

Whatever it is, it's too darned expensive! Naptha and Coleman fuel are around $11.00 a gallon these days which is highway robbery!  >:(

For cooking, I use refilled propane bottles or the long hose mostly with the adapter for Coleman stoves. But for when it gets real cold, It is also a dual-fuel stove. I hear unleaded plugs up the Coleman generators so I only used it once. Maybe a filter would help? More recently I bought a multi-fuel stove that can use 3 fuels. I got it for the kerosene ability. Cheaper than white gas, cleaner than unleaded, no generators plugging up, and will work in frigid temps unlike the propane problems I have been witness to.

But for light, I'm stuck with Coleman because I found an older model for $10 at a yard sale. I bought it to replace the propane one that was stolen when my camper disappeared...  :'(
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Tailchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 25, 2010, 04:34 AM »
Light only. If your looking for just a light . Coleman sells a red 110v. lantern that looks like a gas one.Charge overnite. It will last for many hours outside & months  stored inside. Great indoors for power failures, boat, & shanty fishing. No mantels, fuels, fumes or batt. to replace. Safety wise , It will not burn anything in a shanty. Cabela's on sale around 25.00. I keep it in my basement for emergency  & grab it for nite fishing, etc. A great unit, except no heat.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #25 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:20 AM »
My first twenty years I used the naptha burners. The next twenty (or more) years I used and stayed with propane. It's cleaner, less maintenance and just better for me. Both are very reliable.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:43 AM »
In all due respect...alkaline batteries are even more expensive, and even though LED's are very energy efficient, the cold air will sock the batteries up quicker, and light output (in my opinion) does not compare to the LP. Although the LED lantern does have its place, I dont believe its ice fishing...but then again thats my two cents.  :whistle:
I am looking for one with a built in battery. I have the coleman one and it works great. I use it alot in summer. I know batteries are pricey. I will always have several coleman lanterns and stoves around. Seem to be part of ice fishing and camping. I seem to break atleast 1 mantle a weekend on them. Still have many scars on my arms from touching the nut on top after turning off. I like the smaller compact newer ones. Found a newer single mantle at a yard sale for 3 bucks it is my favorite. I have a cl2 that has had nothing but regular gas burned from day one. Still works fine. Ruined one using newer unleaded gas with methanol in it. Rusted tank over winter.  Still like gas lanterns but don't like smell and problems that go with it.  Steve

Offline justfine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NOW THIS IS FUN!!!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:49 AM »
I like the dual fuel they are easy to maintain go Coleman have one that's from 1942 works great
HAPPINESS IS BLOOD ON THE ICE!!!!

Offline phil c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:54 AM »
I use a coleman propane single mantle. It works great for both heat and light. I just picked up one of those refuel adapters for 1 lb tanks so that should help costs. As far as low O2, I've never had an issue, I leeave a door on the tent open at the bottom, and am usually out of the tent at least once every 1/2 hr.

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 25, 2010, 08:58 AM »
Maybe it doesn't get cold where all of u are but I've NEVER had good luck gettin a cold propane lantern to burn right. I get aggravated if I have to build a fire to warm up the fuel I want to use. Dual Fuel!  :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.