Author Topic: Power Baits  (Read 3880 times)

Ice Gido

Power Baits
« on: Jan 09, 2004, 10:55 PM »
I just picked up some Berkley Power Naturals (worms and maggots) and was hoping they would be a good substitute for worms and other live things. Is anyone successfully using power baits, power naturals or similar products on a regular basis?   How are you fishing and rigging them (under a bobber, on a jig, etc.)?  Any recommendations?

Ice Gido

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Re:Power Baits
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2004, 05:41 PM »
I use power bait (turbo dough) as back-up for trout. Have not used power naturals.

BCSmits

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2004, 07:36 PM »
Haven't had much luck with the maggot imitations but biggest trout I've caught this year, an 18", was on a flouro jig with a bit of "Gulp" imitation worm.

Ice Gido

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2004, 10:29 PM »
Haven't had much luck with the maggot imitations but biggest trout I've caught this year, an 18", was on a flouro jig with a bit of "Gulp" imitation worm.

Hi BCSmits.  I picked up a 15" rainbow last weekend on a Power Natural Maggot.  Fishing was nil, so I tried out the Maggot and hooked our only fish of the day.  My partner was using roe and I had been using roe on a jig, then I switched to the Maggot on the jig.  I don't know if it was the Maggot or the action of the jig that worked.

You mentioned using a part of a Gulp Worm.  How much worm are you using with your jig - just enough to give a taste or enough to provide some "worm" action?

BCSmits

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2004, 01:06 PM »
Hey Ice Gido, was pinching off about 1 cm. from the worm, just to give em a taste.  Wanted to keep it small so as not to spook them.  Seemed to work better for the bigger trout.

Ice Gido

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2004, 11:06 PM »
Thanks for the info BCSmits.  Makes sense, we normally find that less bait is better.  Next time I'm on the Ice I will give that a try.  It may be a while as right now we are in a bit of a draught, the weather has warmed up and the ice is the pits - need a boat not an auger.  The weatherman said we are supposed to be getting some colder weather this coming week.   We're keeping our fingers crossed and hoping. I will keep you posted

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2004, 10:36 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I was in Edmonton yesterday and bought some GULP immitation worms. Thought they would be good as look like a big blood worm.
Hope your getting that cold weather you wanted Ice Gido. When I arrived home in Prince George this evening it is -33C.

Ice Gido

« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2004, 09:28 PM »
Hey Terrygonefishing nice to have you back.  It's a balmy -14C with a windchill of -30C here in Terrace. This cold weather is a blessing, now we will have some water to walk on. Looking forward to going out, probably won't be till the weekend though.  BCSmits idea sounds good, intend on trying it next time I'm out.  I'm hoping it works because it will make an easy bait for the grandkids.

Any word yet on fishing tournaments at West Lake?

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2004, 12:21 AM »
Yea they are not having one this year. Apparently the old fellows don't want to run it anymore as too much work and the young fellows are lazy. They wanted me to run it but am very busy this year so no free time as back and forth between Edmonton and here. Man it was cold in Edmonton a few days ago. Somewhere around -50C with the windchill. Good luck.
Terry

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.