Author Topic: Ice Fishing is the New Zen Hobby!!! We are now "Hipsters"  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Ice Fishing is the New Zen Hobby!!! We are now "Hipsters"
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2019, 07:55 AM »
Sheesh! Leave it to the citidiots...  ::)
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2019, 07:56 AM »
Great, thanks to the New York compost, our ice will be flooded with screen zombie quasi communist litterbugs. “There goes the neighborhood”!  >:(
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2019, 08:01 AM »
Yes, I do find it my zen time. But don’t worry, most of them city slickers will do it once or twice to say they did it and are part of the “fad”. I don’t imagine many wanting to stay out for long lol. Or just give a wave and smile with a mouth full of waxies or spikes  ;D

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2019, 08:03 AM »
I live just over the border from Orange County NY in Sullivan. Some great ice fishing in the reservoirs there that are all a part of the NY City water supply. I don't go that direction because there is usually a 10 degree temp difference from my higher altitude county to the Orange county area. We get good ice before they do but some of their lakes do hold nice trout.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2019, 08:07 AM »
screen zombie quasi communist litterbugs.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I'll take 'em out fishing. -26F slogging through knee high snow with 4 inches of slush underneath. That'll last about one trip and instead of "zen" we'll all be labelled "crazy". I'm good with that.  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2019, 08:23 AM »
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I'll take 'em out fishing. -26F slogging through knee high snow with 4 inches of slush underneath. That'll last about one trip and instead of "zen" we'll all be labelled "crazy". I'm good with that.  ;)2

LOL, It need not be that cold if you take them out when the winds are running around 30 MPH and they are chasing false flags all day long. When you do take them out just be sure to bring their Mommy's with them to clean up afterwards.

Gam

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2019, 08:26 AM »
On one hand......

What goes around,comes around....I'm not surprised by this article.  Hopefully it will run a swift course and fade. "Deliverance" exposed the country to paddle sports, and Duck Dynasty caused a spike in "green horns" chasing waterfowl, but "A River Runs Through It" took the cake.  The number of folks taking up fly fishing at the time veritably churned the local streams into a froth. All quickly ran their courses.

On the other hand....

Take a look at the age demographics of those buying hunting, fishing, and trapping licenses in your state and then
compare those numbers with the data from 20 years ago. The reality is we need young enthusiastic blood to replace those that "age out" or pass on. Yes we will have to endure those who follow the fad, but, then again they may
provide us with some amusement and new "They did WHAT?" stories. Tell them your secret spots? NEVER. Tip them on why a spud bar is necessary? Probably in the best interest of the sport. 

Especially with ice fishing, you can bet that the weather will winnow out all but the most dedicated and yes, there needs to be a next generation if the sport is to survive.

OK, I'll go back to my bucket, schooley, and purple moon jigs...

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2019, 08:58 AM »
“Do you want me to go get the skimmer?” I asked. “Nah,” he said. “I live for this.”

While I love to ice fish, I wouldn't say " I live for this", sticking my hand in ice water. But I would say I was too stupid to bring the skimmer or too lazy to go fetch it, you would be closer to the truth.
"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2019, 09:24 AM »
“Do you want me to go get the skimmer?” I asked. “Nah,” he said. “I live for this.”

While I love to ice fish, I wouldn't say " I live for this", sticking my hand in ice water. But I would say I was too stupid to bring the skimmer or too lazy to go fetch it, you would be closer to the truth.
I usually clear my holes with the auger, so the only skimming I need is if the holes freeze over and I’m ok just pulling those pieces out by hand. I personally like ice fishing more than open water ;D

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2019, 09:25 AM »
Only one guy in photo wearing safety spikes.  Falling in could be a final Zen experience Grass Hopper.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2019, 09:27 AM »
That's why I don't catch as many fish as others...I don't have a RADAR! LOL I got a chuckle out of that  ;D  I don't mind the press for ice fishing.  It shows my family and friends who think I'm an ice junkie that ice fishing isn't that abnormal, and articles like this may get them to finally take up my offers to join me in the experience.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2019, 09:27 AM »
WARNING!!!!

This website is now being flooded with new members from the New York area.

They are reading and rereading every post.....

We are now victims of our own ingenuity.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2019, 10:03 AM »
Only one guy in photo wearing safety spikes.  Falling in could be a final Zen experience Grass Hopper.

I learned that lesson Monday when I fell and broke my elbow. My cleats were in the sled.
Just read that some guy on Oneida broke his leg this am.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2019, 12:21 PM »
Kind of bizarre how the author was explaining the various ice fishing terms we all know from fishing for so many years. I guess looking back to the days with top end of a pole, a sounder and a bobber the sport has gotten fancy enough to be come a fad!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2019, 12:42 PM »
That just means there should be some good deals on used gear soon lol.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2019, 04:24 PM »
I learned that lesson Monday when I fell and broke my elbow. My cleats were in the sled.
Just read that some guy on Oneida broke his leg this am.

Sorry to hear you got hurt from falling but a buddy falling taught me a lesson I will never forget. The new ice augers we use these days have razor sharp blades. My buddy took one of those feet above his head flops on the ice and landed right on his uncovered Lazer auger end. 137 stitches and a very bad day for sure with the ambulance and EMTs all working to get him to the ER ASAP. Either cover the damn thing or drill it in half way but NEVER, EVER just lay it on the ice uncovered or hanging off your ATV, Snowmobile where you or a pal could get seriously injured. I also see it all the time where guys leave their jig rods hanging out of buckets or sleds with the hooks dangling and and blowing in the breeze. Not cool and so far I have just seen clothes get caught but it takes all of 2 seconds to secure the hook out of harms way. Those of us who have had hooks sunk in past the barbs usually become real smart just a bit late but they probably never do it again. 50 years ago I had a mishap while removing a deep hook from a rather large pickerel. I hate those fish to this day because he sliced my thumb wide open and I needed to get stitched up. I ended up with a real nasty infection and almost lost my thumb from it but after about 3 months and many doctor visits I was able to heal. They make some cool gadgets called needle nose pliars and hook removers these days so you can avoid the suffering I went through. If you are going to teach others about ice fishing then teach them safety first before they ever get a line in the water.
I have no issues with new fisherman/woman joining us on the ice but every one of us have seen the low life garbage and stupid stuff they do if not properly taught some safety and manners. I am actually a pretty friendly guy out fishing but I do mostly avoid meeting others out on the ice just so I don't have to be a teacher or safety officer out there. On my way in I usually have to clean up after the idiots so I always bring an extra trash bag and it is not worth the trouble of confronting the creeps. I guess a 1 pound gas cylinder weighs less than half when it is empty but is just too heavy to drag back in.

Gam

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2019, 04:44 PM »
That’s what sucks about this year , they haven’t went enough to realize it isn’t MAGIC . Usually by now there all on the couch and the real fisherman are just getting after it harder

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2019, 08:50 PM »
Actually read the article this time. “Fish finding radar unit” is making my eye twitch lol.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2019, 09:24 PM »
Actually read the article this time. “Fish finding radar unit” is making my eye twitch lol.

2X

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2019, 11:23 PM »
Where can I find a hemp made flip over?
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #21 on: Feb 18, 2019, 03:23 AM »
Wait till he discovers the ice volcano gods...when they deem sacrifice.  ;)
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 18, 2019, 05:35 AM »
Millennials will go out on the ice and get hurt then will try and ban ice fishing
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 18, 2019, 05:48 AM »
Millennials will go out on the ice and get hurt then will try and ban ice fishing

That is already the case here in many of our reservoirs. The access points are posted "UNSAFE ICE" at the whim of some authority who claims they drilled a hole and if not 6 inches they close the lake.

Gam

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:38 AM »

lol..

Boomers/Xers driving their shiny expensive trucks to the bottom of the lake because "i've been doin this here for 28 years and aint NO BODY know this lake better than me!!" causing over-regulation but blaming it on the 20 year olds who are just now getting on the ice.. Ive never had an issue with younger peers on the ice. Its the know-it all old guys and dudes who think they own the lakes because "they put their time in".

No "hipster city millennials" are going on the ice, dont worry. To get on the ice you need to leave your comfort zone, the ice doesnt have a "safe space". There is an outdoors "reawakening" amongst young men in this country and I dont think it benefits anyone to talk down on it. You want another generation of sheltered men?

Strange that you have "take a kid fishing" in your signature but have an issue with young guys on the lake   ::)
Team Comfy Skunks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.