Author Topic: help with jigging walleyes  (Read 2817 times)

Offline upsavr

• Team IceShanty Regular
help with jigging walleyes
« on: Jan 12, 2004, 11:41 PM »
where should i go to jig for walleyes?
so far i am trying off of the weed edge in about 12-15 feet with a #5 perch jigging rap  no luck  trying at sundown
any advice
how far off the bottom,  how much movement etc...
does anyone tip their raps?

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re:help with jigging walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2004, 10:08 AM »
Upsavr - On the lake that I fish walleyes we target primarily mid lake structure or drop offs. It varies where they can be on the drop offs. Sometimes they're cruising the bottom of the drop, sometimes they're on the top of the drop (hey, I'm a poet). Do you have a finder? If not I highly recommend purchasing one. It will let you know where the fish are. As far as where to fish in the water column goes, I usually fish 3 or 4 ft. off the bottom (especially with a jigging rap). I've found that the fish that want to bite will come up to the bait without hesitation. For the less agressive fish you might want to go to a jigging spoon such as a Kastmaster. I tip these with 1,2 and sometimes 3 minnows. Personally I don't tip the Rapalas. Hope this helps!      

grumpymoe

Re:help with jigging walleyes
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2004, 01:54 PM »
upsavr  sounds like you have an ideal spot for nailing eyes. i would try moving up over the weedbed and jigging just above the cover. even though i have a limited amount of rapalas, i still like my favorite live minnows hooked just behind the dorsal. i dont know how cold it is where you are, but if it gets below -10 or more, slow your action down to a twitch. i like to tightline alot for my fish, and so far this year, what has been working extremely well for me is a quick down snap from the rod tip. for some reason, its really triggers a strike and i think the reason is the fish think the minnow is heading downward to quick cover. just a theory thats producing for me. hope this helps- grumpymoe      do a post if you try this and it works for you.  :'( :'( :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.