Author Topic: hummingbird 385ci ice  (Read 3574 times)

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
hummingbird 385ci ice
« on: Nov 13, 2013, 06:39 PM »
was in the market for a finder, looked at the topics on finders got alot of info. on others but didn't see a lot on the hummingbird385ci, any info would be great.
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: hummingbird 385ci ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2013, 07:57 PM »
I dont have the 385 but i do own the 345 portable (non gps version). Not sure what kind of info your looking for exactly, but I will say that I personally do not like using it for ice fishing. Tried it a few times and do not care for it as an ice unit. I do love it on my boat though, its a great unit. The ice version and the open water version are the same just different transducers.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2013, 08:45 PM »
I've used my 385ci for the last 3 years and couldn't be happier. Dual transducer;you can switch back and forth between them or use both together. It has an ice flasher option, but I use the graph. I can adjust to see the smallest jig and watch fish come into view and bite.
The gps allows me to walk to the same spot year after year without relying on landmarks. I have used both the navionics card and the lakemaster cards in it and recommend the lakemaster as it unlocks features otherwise hidden. You can adjust the depth offset for changes in water levels and highlight shallow water in red to avoid fishing unproductive water. Also you can highlight certain depths in green to scout for features similar to known productive water. Drop offs, flats, tight corners all can be revealed by highlighting. I find and mark spots in softwater season with my canoe or kayak or a friends boat then return to walk in in winter.
Lasts all day and most of a second on a charge, so I charge it every night. The ice unit comes with ice transducer; dual 20°/60° without the Temperature probe of the softwater version. A Sealed Lead Acid Battery all contained in a case with a sturdy handle and pockets for extras like flash lights, tools, tape measures and camera for the Tournament photos. Lastly it fits in a 5 gallon bucket if you need to haul it that way. They now have a 587ci Ice Combo with more screen space. I'd choose that one if I were getting it now.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2013, 11:36 PM »
I have the 345 & like it.
Thinking on upgrading to the new 386.
GPS plus more sonar power than the 345/385.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2013, 06:28 AM »

thanks for the report mjmeyer , I have a lowrance 67c and It's great but just found 345 for a good price  and picked 1 up

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2013, 07:37 AM »
if you guys know anyone after 345 ice (full package)
i have couple available (with warranty) brand new in package.  200.00 shipped

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:13 AM »
thanks guys for the info, that's what i was wondering, who has them and pros and cons.....and if someone has better units by all means chime in.
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2013, 10:04 AM »
if you guys know anyone after 345 ice (full package)
i have couple available (with warranty) brand new in package.  200.00 shipped

crap just ordered one last night , oh well got a good price but not that good , sucks to be me

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2013, 11:00 AM »
I just remembered this:http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/HumminbirdIndex.html
This guy has some instructional articles using the 597ci. Same unit just a larger screen. Even some ice fishing. I guess he has the 385ci, too. It's been so long, I forgot;
reviewing now!
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline RickC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2013, 05:31 PM »
Last year I converted my 798ci SI that was my primary ff on my boat to an ice machine. I absolutely love it as a flasher and use it more than my Ice 55 (which my son uses now). Very responsive and haven't had any interference issues from other flashers with it.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2013, 09:40 AM »
What's the advantage of the flasher screen over the graphical screens. I'm used to visualizing what's happening below me using a graph. I rely on the history to see the fish's activity. Is it a responsiveness issue ?

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2013, 10:43 AM »
What's the advantage of the flasher screen over the graphical screens. I'm used to visualizing what's happening below me using a graph. I rely on the history to see the fish's activity. Is it a responsiveness issue ?
I believe it's a personal preference thing more than anything else.
I also prefer the flasher screen.
Most Humminbirds have a Real Time Window on the right side. Works similar to a Showdown but in colour.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2013, 07:02 PM »
Definitely a personal preference. I prefer the graph with the real time window over the flasher screen when Im vertical jigging off the boat. Also a personal preference that I prefer my mechanical flasher on ice. The 345 gets the job done, but the mechanical flasher seems quicker to set up and make adjustments. If I could only have one unit though, Id probably have to go with an lcd unit. Dual purpose for ice and open water.

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2013, 10:28 AM »
I just remembered this:http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/HumminbirdIndex.html
This guy has some instructional articles using the 597ci. Same unit just a larger screen. Even some ice fishing. I guess he has the 385ci, too. It's been so long, I forgot;
reviewing now!
Mike

Thanks for the website.  I use my 788ci on the ice and this is a useful site to pick up some tips.
If you want a country run by religion....Move to Iran.

Offline iCaps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:26 AM »
I've used and loved PhenQ for the last 3 years and couldn't be happier. Dual transducer;you can switch back and forth between them or use both together. It has an ice flasher option, but I use the graph. I can adjust to see the smallest jig and watch fish come into view and bite.
The gps allows me to walk to the same spot year after year without relying on landmarks. I have used both the navionics card and the lakemaster cards in it and recommend the lakemaster as it unlocks features otherwise hidden. You can adjust the depth offset for changes in water levels and highlight shallow water in red to avoid fishing unproductive water. Also you can highlight certain depths in green to scout for features similar to known productive water. Drop offs, flats, tight corners all can be revealed by highlighting. I find and mark spots in softwater season with my canoe or kayak or a friends boat then return to walk in in winter.
Lasts all day and most of a second on a charge, so I charge it every night. The ice unit comes with ice transducer; dual 20°/60° without the Temperature probe of the softwater version. A Sealed Lead Acid Battery all contained in a case with a sturdy handle and pockets for extras like flash lights, tools, tape measures and camera for the Tournament photos. Lastly it fits in a 5 gallon bucket if you need to haul it that way. They now have a 587ci Ice Combo with more screen space. I'd choose that one if I were getting it now.

A pawn shop round the corner from me is selling a hummingbird 385.  I think the price is $250. As someone who has never used one of these devices before do you think this is a good first buy?

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2016, 02:47 PM »
I have a 345c and a 385ci and love these units.  I think the price is about right for a used unit especially if it has the ice transducer.  These units are also great for a kayak or otherwise independent fish finder.  I use mine year round.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.