Author Topic: Aqua-Vu AV Micro Plus Underwater Camera System w/ DVR  (Read 9130 times)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Has anyone purchase the NEW  Aqua-Vu AV Micro Plus Underwater Camera System w/ DVR? Looking for a review and some video before pulling the trigger?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Aqua-Vu AV Micro Plus Underwater Camera System w/ DVR
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2012, 11:07 AM »
Are these cameras any good?  I never had one but have a chance at getting an older model used for a decent price.

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2012, 11:27 AM »
I bought the new Aqua Vu micro Plus without the recording function. I don't need to record. At first glance out of the box this camera will be very nice for checking holes fast due to its compact size and light weight. I haven't had a change to try it out on the water yet. I am waiting till ice fishing season to try it out. A few things I like about the new model is that is now water resistant. I have a neopreme case for it now for extra protection. I haven't fully charged and drained the battery yet so I can't say how long the battery lasts. It should be around 5-6 hours though. I also have a solar charger for my cell phone that I can use for the camera so I should be able to get through a whole weekend without any trouble of running out of juice. The picture of the camera is pretty good but I haven't been able to try it in the water yet so I can't say how it looks in the water. It is easy to set the camera up to view straight down or sideways. Mine came with the fins and the wire to point the camera sideways. I used the fins since it should give the camera some extra stability. I am looking forward to trying the unit out on the ice to really put it to the test.

Offline reg01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2012, 10:35 PM »
Anyone have any reviews?  I'd like to pick one of these up if they are nice.   

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2012, 08:28 AM »
The only bad review I have heard about the aqua vu micro is managing the wire for the camera.

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2012, 08:54 AM »
I used the micro all last winter. It is very useful for quickly checking through your holes because of its size and ease of use. I never set up to fish with it only to locate pods of fish. The only issue I had with it was the spool that holds the camera cable. It cracked because I stored it in my pocket and I ended up replacing it right off with a mason tip up spool because it was more rugged. I think the camera is useful for a portable fisherman but not for someone who fishes by watching their baits in a shack.
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2013, 06:53 PM »
I just bought a Micro AV Plus camera.  Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I'll post results once I do use it (hopefully tomorrow)  :)

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2013, 06:16 PM »
What type of plug does the micro cam have. Can it be plugged into a tablet for a bigger screen ? Do tablets even have that video in/out option ?

Offline fishing4u2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2013, 06:09 PM »
I bought the non-DVR model last mid-ice. 

Picture is fine.  Holds a charge fine.  Weight/bulk is a dream compared to traditional cameras.  Cable is rather too fine and hence delicate, however.  My first one didn't hold up very long.  Apparently a micro nick in its jacket, that I never could find and seal, began to admit moisture, and that was a few trips later that!

I swapped the factory storage spool for a larger diameter (shallow rim, old line) spool.  Had to shorten the central stem of the new spool so that the factory fastener will hold it.  Wound the plug end on this spool first, allowing enough slack for this plug to reach its port, then wound on the remainder. 

Now instead of having loose and twisty cable laying around looking for trouble in a world of cleats and auger blades, I just unplug the camera cable and straightline the camera down to the bottom, plug 'er in and have a peak, unplug and reel back again... by turning the recessed spool frame with my forefinger.  Think baitcasting reel, with the cable always under tension, and no twists imparted.

No handling of wet cable... ever.  Well, maybe except if fishing shallow (less than 12 FOW), then its quick and easier to just hand wind that short length onto the fixed spool and not have to touch the plug at all.  What minor imparted twist there is, can be useful in that the little acorn of a camera will take in a turn or two at depth, which is after all the idea.  Retrieving these shorter lengths, I let the thin cable rub along my boot edge or leg, in order to shed most of its water, before appreciable wetness or ice reaches my winding fingers, keeps numbing of the sometimes bare digits tolerably down.

If it fits in your hand, it'll fit your pocket, but also fit through the auger hole!  So I also made a small EZ on/off stand for the monitor, a block of closed cell foam with dimensions that cannot fall through the ice.  Unit comes with a little safety leash (not a bad idea, if more mobile) but then I think a super short bungee figure eight-bound tether with a (non-scratch) finger ring (big enough to use with gloves on) attached, is perhaps going to be there when (not if) you'll be needing it.  For that matter, I am a big fumble-fingered fan of foam hole covers (with a slit leading to a central hole) in general.  Ounce of prevention...

Mounted in its stand, and so with both hands free, I can then use the unit like a larger model once settled over fish, or if in the shelter.  Otherwise its just used to make that peek at the habitat, and perhaps confirm if my spot only has some dink sniffer 'perch', which sonar may or may not discern clearly from larger, target or worthwhile specimens.

Last tips:  one can burn WAY too much fishing time messing with getting, and then maintaining camera orientation.  Viewing straight down is an OK approach, but in low light downsspotting an approaching fish is of course working against its natural camo, plus the screen is small, there can be glare, etc... 

Thus I prefer to replace the factory spring steel camera -holding wire with a more pliable wire, simply lose the plastic fin, and just bend my harness to achieve my desired viewing angle.  Best so far is looking UP & OUT at a 30-45 degree angle, and putting the camera a little bit below my lure's level. This way, fish and jig show up clearly against a lighter background in bold silhouette. 

Where any cable might take a roughly 90 degree angle from the surface of the ice down over the edge of the cavity, the slightest memory will cause the camera to spin some.  Better to avoid this entirely.  Again, a foam hole cover with a single radial slit cut outwards from a small central hole is the WTG. 

Just drop the cover into place, plop the acorn camera through, get it to the bottom, raise it to match your jig's known offset, and slip the cable into the foam slit.  If your jig isn't on screen, turning the cover no more than a single rotation will have it there pronto.

Btw, the common sense horizontal view is IMO the very last one to employ;  if you are close enough to spot a tiny jig, your field of view is't all that wide - not just horizontal (right and left), but in the vertical (up and down).  So you can end up in a catch-22 trying to get the horizontal perspective just right with the jig at center screen.  But viewed up or down at a slant (and hence from a greater distance), as you raise or lower the cable while giving it a slow twist, you are more apt to spot your bogie. 

This year I plan to drop my own fake 'fish' (a foot long pipe segment, painted in high contrast stripes) in some calm, open water to get a better idea of scale and distance of any target I may see while fishing.  It's deceptive otherwise. 

The main thing is to let the camera work for you, and not 'work you' so much that you aren't really actively fishing.  Remember, you can always just go to the pet store to watch fish.  To catch them requires we do some actual and effective fishing for as high a percentage of our day as possible.

Offline trackermike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2014, 01:40 PM »
From your description (thorough as it was) I couldn't quite picture how you mounted a different spool to the aqua-vu. Would you mind sharing a picture of your setup as the standard cable spool is driving me crazy. Takes way to long to get to depth and it's Very fragile as you mentioned. I do appreciate the description you gave.

Thanks, mike

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2014, 02:29 PM »
Really informative post Fishing 4U2-- I plan to purchase a micro soon as my older DT 60 is far too bulky & sreen hinges have broken. I've lost count of the time the screen has dropped and yanked wire terminals off. Also have gone thru 2 fish bodies on cam due to brittle fins and construction. Pretty poor durabilty for a $600 unit.
What I will miss are features such as depth & direction which greatly aid in locating jig in water column. I find these really vital features for a UW cam, more so than DVR recording. Cost on the micro is suspect as one can purchase more affordable LCD screens and cam heads today. Hopefully the top manufacturers will include such features above, "over-build" contruction and bring costs down.

That being said, I find UW cams as important as sonar, rods & reels. Def. have improved my fishing success and knowledge.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2016, 08:58 AM »
Warning, don't but it, seriously.

I've had one for 4 years now and used it maybe .5% of the time.  Why, because that flimsy camera cord is useless.  I'm not sure if it has something to do with the cold water here in Alberta, Canada....I seriously doubt it.  My fishing buddies have not bought this unit and commented on the thin cord.  They were right.   Too bad the quality has not improved.  I've sent it in 4 times and 3 separate times for camera cord repair.  No comment back on what they did everytime but it fails again on the very next use.   This last time I had it ready for the first trip.  Had it in down angle for maybe 10 minutes tops.  It cut out for the rest of the day.  Get it back home and after sitting for a few days works.  Useless.  Completely and utterly useless piece of flimsy junk.   I'm tired of paying shipping costs.  DO NOT BUY THIS CAMERA.

Offline Cantharellus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2016, 05:18 PM »
If you ever feel like disposing of it, send on down to me. I'll take care of it.  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.