Author Topic: Portable shack LED light strips  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Portable shack LED light strips
« on: Oct 09, 2020, 10:17 AM »
I know this topic has been beaten to the ground a few times, but with advances in technology there seems to be a lot more options out there than there used to be. I rigged up my hub shack with a roll of the LED light strips a few years back, worked great until the leads tore off the strips. All in all just seems like a poor design for long-term use on the ice.

In doing some amazon/google searches I pretty much decided I was going to go with an LED bar in my 1 man flip shack with a USB plug in and use my drill batteries to power it via a $20 attachment to my batteries. But then I found some rechargeable LED light bars that don't need to be plugged in. Can anyone think of a reason these wouldn't work just as well as plug in ones? I can't see myself using them more than a few hours at a time so I would think they should last long enough to recharge between outings.

https://www.amazon.com/Litake-Lighting-Rechargeable-Anywhere-Wireless/dp/B07G2V4XL4/ref=sr_1_25?crid=3AP6IEL46OT8I&dchild=1&keywords=recharge+led+light+bar&qid=1602256036&sprefix=rechar+led+light+bar%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-25

Just trying to keep it as simple but effective as possible. Thoughts?
Da Pack!

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Portable shack LED light strips
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2020, 10:56 AM »
The lights you chose are 5 vdc.  Your batteries are 12 vdc.  So, your charging method won't work.  But, in looking at the lights, they have 220 lumens, and assuming you are fishing in a shack that is roughly 20 sqft, this gives you about 10 ft candles of light - that is a little on the dim side, but manageable.  You are fishing on the ice, so the white will help to reflect some light. 

If you don't mind taking these lights out of your shack to charge overnight, or after a use once home - these should work for you.  Just hang the lights with some hook-n-loop  material and they can be reinstalled once charged. 

You have two good methods listed for the lights, it all comes down to convenience of what you want to do.  Me - I have LED strung inside my hub and attached to the rods.  If a connector breaks, I just repair it. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2020, 07:02 PM »
these are what I use in all my houses and hubs. on the houses I cut them into the tubing and make them a permanent part of the house. in hubs I just slide them under the roof poles once the hub is set up.

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/light-stick.html#163=181

another option would be these.

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/flex-four-led-light-kit.html
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2020, 07:26 AM »
The lights you chose are 5 vdc.  Your batteries are 12 vdc.  So, your charging method won't work.  But, in looking at the lights, they have 220 lumens, and assuming you are fishing in a shack that is roughly 20 sqft, this gives you about 10 ft candles of light - that is a little on the dim side, but manageable.  You are fishing on the ice, so the white will help to reflect some light. 

If you don't mind taking these lights out of your shack to charge overnight, or after a use once home - these should work for you.  Just hang the lights with some hook-n-loop  material and they can be reinstalled once charged. 

You have two good methods listed for the lights, it all comes down to convenience of what you want to do.  Me - I have LED strung inside my hub and attached to the rods.  If a connector breaks, I just repair it.

I'm an amateur when it comes to electrical so thanks for the heads up there. My thoughts were to just charge it at home by either taking them out or getting a plug in long enough to charge. My end goal is to avoid having to bring along an extra battery and if I can avoid wires all together that's a big plus. One less thing to get tangled in.
Da Pack!

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2020, 08:48 AM »
I'm an amateur when it comes to electrical so thanks for the heads up there. My thoughts were to just charge it at home by either taking them out or getting a plug in long enough to charge. My end goal is to avoid having to bring along an extra battery and if I can avoid wires all together that's a big plus. One less thing to get tangled in.

If this is how you are going to set it up, then you have a system that will work.  Remember, its how you want to do it - there are a million ways to get light into the shack.  It sounds like you are only wanting light for short period, and the LED's won't consume very much power.  You will probably have a heater in the shack, so the lights will stay warm, and not let the cold degrade the battery. 

Give it a go and let us know what you find out!
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.