Author Topic: Snap swivels  (Read 5323 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Snap swivels
« on: Oct 09, 2019, 06:32 AM »
Just watched an interesting video...seminar style... by a noted and successful Walleye ice fishing guide on Lake St. Clair in Michigan. Two points he made in particular were that he never clips the tag ends of his lines. He said that extra couple of inches of line makes no difference to the fish. And the other...he uses snap swivels for...obviously...quic k change of lures. He said unless your using lighter/smaller jigs or lures it doesn't affect the action of them to be of any significance. Thoughts and experiences?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Snap swivels
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2019, 06:41 AM »
 I’ve been using mustard classic snaps for my vertical and horizontal lures for as long as I can remember , I even use them on my buck tail jigs for open water and shore casting sticks
 And I seem to have pretty good luck
 The few lakes I fish plus Canada eyes aren’t to picky
  I don’t run snap swivels I run a leader with a barrel for the ice , JMO

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2019, 06:44 AM »
I’ve been using mustard classic snaps for my vertical and horizontal lures for as long as I can remember , I even use them on my buck tail jigs for open water and shore casting sticks
 And I seem to have pretty good luck
 The few lakes I fish plus Canada eyes aren’t to picky

Good to know :thumbsup:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2019, 07:37 PM »
I completely agree for open water plenty of walleye caught on crankbaits with a 6 inch steel leeder but I don't fish any baits large enough to be real comfortable with a snap swivel during ice season

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2019, 04:53 AM »
The tag end makes little to no difference to a fish, they most of the time do not care.  If it does not affect a lure's performance in a negative way, it's fine.

Typical lures of 1/4 oz or heavier do not rely on the snap swivel for motion nor are less performing with it. 

If finessing, this is where it sometimes makes a difference in lure performance.  That small weight and going into deeper waters past that 30 ft depth it begins to show some.  One thing is depth, water resistance from that distance.  Lightweight lures tends to have less response or one feels less from that.

There are times when I prefer to tie directly to my jig.  There are also times when I prefer to have that snap swivel that allows my jig to dance a little more than a direct tie.  It almost follows the same concept to thread a soft plastic lure onto the whole hook or just hook point the soft plastic through the head only.  It looks terrible when soft plastic is just hook point through the head only but if the fish wants it, I do it.  One can dance the jig head more and the soft plastic wiggles more lively.

Test try in a glass jar or aquarium fish tank...see the subtle differences.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.