The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Georgetown Lake  (Read 868 times)

Offline Midge4u2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Georgetown Lake
« on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:47 PM »
I really enjoy IF on GT. I was talking to a local and said that they would never eat any fish out of the lake. Saying that when mining was big in the area, mining waste was put into the lake... I've eaten fish in GT lake.. has anyone ever heard of this?

Offline iceotter88

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release in bacon grease.
Re: Georgetown Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:38 AM »
The entire lake is surrounded by several old mining districts. The majority of those operations quit running by the mid-19th century. Although waste was never dumped directly in the lake waste water did make it's way into the lake through adjacent drainages. There is an advisory icon in the current regulations regarding consumption of fish from that lake. Many people do eat fish from the lake.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2018, 10:33 AM »
Montana FWP maintains a fish consumption advisory list and there are a lot of water bodies where consumption should be limited and they even list size restrictions as large predator fish will have higher levels of mercury etc.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline mountainjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:04 AM »
I have been smoking and pressure canning the koke's and a few bows out of Georgetown. The fat separates when pressure canned and can be poured off once it's time to eat. I've herd the heavy metals collect in the fat so hopefully this leaves the meat a little less toxic. I mix it with mayo or cream cheese and it is delicious! I also let the big trout go, only wack the smaller ones and salmon.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Significant amount of heavy metals also accumulate in muscle tissue...

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:55 AM »
The Montana fish consumption guidelines, which are available at http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiqsq-H_tLYAhVCzWMKHeuYCiEQFggpMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffwp.mt.gov%2FfwpDoc.html%3Fid%3D28187&usg=AOvVaw1injDd45O-vQBizJwkktNT, say that kokanee up to 14 inches and brook trout up to 18 inches are safe to eat.  In my experience, you don't need to worry about catching kokanee bigger than 14 inches in Georgetown Lake.  So, chow down.

The fish you particularly need to worry about are big fish which eat other fish, such as pike, lake trout, and walleye, because they concentrate toxins from the fish which they eat, and they tend to live a long time.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2018, 12:11 PM »
That pike guideline is really interesting...

Offline icefishmissoula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2018, 12:59 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.