Author Topic: Making the hole larger for big lakers  (Read 4688 times)

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Making the hole larger for big lakers
« on: Jan 23, 2016, 07:56 AM »
I had a problem getting a   the head of a large lakers  started up a 10 inch ice hole,because they would swim sideways because they are full of air.  I find drilling 2 or even 3 holes together in a straight line  helps a lot  .
Any one else do this ,or have any tricks .
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline Teamroper3684

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Making the hole larger for big lakers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2016, 09:27 AM »
That's prolly your best option but here in Colorado we can't do that max is 10", just gotta play them a little longer to get their head turned up the hole.
Makers should expel their air as they are brought up though, if you are bordering them up from deep to quick though won't give them time to do it, but they usually burp up the air as they are brought to the surface

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2016, 01:43 PM »
So whenever you want some company I will fly up there to fish with you. I can't imagine catching a laker that would require a 10" hole, let alone two 10"ers.  :o

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2016, 07:50 PM »
This last weekend I cut 3 holes . So much easier  to pull those monster lakers threw.  Whats really nice is you have a much bigger window to look down the hole and watch them  as you bring them up . Water is so clear you start seeming them at 20 ft down.
Cold Lake Alberta . Come on down
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2016, 07:45 AM »
When I am fishing were a trophy is possible, I bring my pick and after I cut the hole I chip of the bottom edge to make a funnel and then chip a small "ramp" to slide the fish out out on to the ice. This "ramp" has helped many times, as the hooks often come unbuttoned as you pull the fish from the hole... None of this takes long and you can get away with a smaller hole if you wanted...

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2016, 02:30 PM »
I always drill a double ten inch hole in my hardside I designed the hole for that purpose.  I take it one step farther and drill my holes at an angle one to allow my power head to fit down the hole and two so when I get one of those big fiesty burbots I can get them up.  I have had plenty of big lakers barely fit through a ten inch hole and several friends that couldnt get a fish through the hole at all.  I wish someone would develop a 12 inch auger or at least a screw that would fit my z71 power head.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2016, 06:01 PM »
I always drill a double ten inch hole in my hardside I designed the hole for that purpose.  I take it one step farther and drill my holes at an angle one to allow my power head to fit down the hole and two so when I get one of those big fiesty burbots I can get them up.  I have had plenty of big lakers barely fit through a ten inch hole and several friends that couldnt get a fish through the hole at all.  I wish someone would develop a 12 inch auger or at least a screw that would fit my z71 power head.

:whistle:

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2016, 06:59 PM »
I bet I could tow that rig with my snow machine.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2016, 07:57 PM »
I bet I could tow that rig with my snow machine.

Be tough to get it inside the shanty though.
 ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.