Author Topic: Any launches still have open water?  (Read 1707 times)

Offline JWK3986

• IceShanty Rookie
Any launches still have open water?
« on: Dec 20, 2020, 03:35 PM »
Since we probably won't have full ice in a lot of places for a bit, especially with rain and 40+ Temps possible soon, I'm trying to get the yak out one more time, preferably on a walleye lake or catfish lake.

Any one that has been out spotting for ice that can help save me driving and guessing time to any launch spots still open?

Offline GerGa

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Any launches still have open water?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2020, 11:05 AM »
I wouldn't recommend taking a kayak out in water this cold.  You won't survive very long if you fall in..

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2020, 12:10 PM »
Dry Suit, life preserver, and caution.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline JWK3986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2020, 12:04 PM »
I wouldn't recommend taking a kayak out in water this cold.  You won't survive very long if you fall in..

I'm not too worried. I have a sit on top  stable enough to stand on and I'm over 200 lbs lol, and you should've seen the guy swimming at Lisicke Beach yesterday at Coventry Lake 😂

Offline JWK3986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2020, 12:08 PM »

👍 Always be prepared and cautious, imo, I take nothing for granted on the water/ice. Anything can happen and conditions can change fast sometimes. I raced a freak thunderstorm coming off Mashapaug late this summer. It was supposed to move  east north east into Mass but swelled out over the lake and it was literally like 5 minutes between incredible sunny weather and sudden 25 mph gusts and pelting rain and lightning 😬.

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2020, 07:03 AM »

Is that one more fish really gonna be worth your safety? If your asking yourself this question you should hold back from going. There’s a lot of people sitting around waiting for the ice to get hard my friend... take it easy for a moment... life’s a marathon
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2020, 03:29 PM »

Exactly, plenty of people kayak in cold water. I'm not really a fan of it but people do far crazier things on yaks.

Offline JWK3986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2020, 05:03 PM »
I was on Coventry today, it was great. Only caught a couple perch and let em go cuz they were skinny and shorter than what I'd harvest, but it's better than sitting at home any day. Since the temps aren't gonna be consistently low enough to get safe ice anytime soon either, I'll probably get another day out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.