Author Topic: How much longer?  (Read 2504 times)

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
How much longer?
« on: Feb 23, 2020, 03:37 PM »
Talking in-state, specifically the NW corner.

Getting off West Hill on Saturday was bad (floating planks).

I hate to say it, but it seems like we're getting close.  :tipup:

Offline bob fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How much longer?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2020, 04:04 PM »
I think we’re done. Was on Highland lake yesterday. Walked on from the ramp at 6 am came back at 1pm to 2 foot of open water and broken ice.
There were people out on Winchester today on 6 inches. But the forecast for the coming week is not good of ice.

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2020, 04:20 PM »
My wife saw on Facebook that people went through at both Burr Pond and Mt Tom today. Hope they are OK. Ice rots quick on days like today.

Offline androux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2020, 04:23 PM »
Fished the southern cove of Burr Pond, in the main lake there was an ice rescue, from what I heard in the parking lot, 4 people went in the water, dive teams and a lifestar helicopter was dispatched.
A smart person would watch the few that ventured to the ice sheet, the daring would follow in their boot prints, but the pioneers would already be heading to where they belong.

Offline androux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2020, 04:29 PM »
From what I got from the EMT's there, and the conjecture of the parking lot, was that guys went in, and guys tried to help them, and went in, and the full ice emergency team was there, torrington and winsted FD, and they said non life threatening.
A smart person would watch the few that ventured to the ice sheet, the daring would follow in their boot prints, but the pioneers would already be heading to where they belong.

Offline androux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2020, 04:36 PM »
All my buddy and could say, coming off on ice, is I hope that everyone is okay.

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2020, 06:24 AM »
It’s all over for me in ct. time to switch gears and put away the tilts. I would not trust the ice in ct after today.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline BDailey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2020, 11:00 AM »
“How much longer?”  Not much longer.   Was on Bantam Sunday at first light, spudded my way with my group on solid 4” 4.5” ice first thing. By 12:30 the sun and mild temps were taking a toll on it. It got sketchy and 2” on top turned into soft slush with maybe 2” of decent stuff underneath. We packed it in by mid afternoon and really had to watch where we traveled to get back. Throw bag ready and all.

I honestly can believe we were the only guys out who had Ice pics, throw bag ad spud bars actively checking the quality of ice. Didn’t see one other group with any safety equipment, even asked guys who were next to us if they had safety gear. All’s I got for a response was a blank stare and a “uh nah”

It one thing to be out on late season ice, with proper safety equipment but it’s another to go out blind and unprepared.

Be safe if you do go out.

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
“A spudbar is your best friend.”

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2020, 05:19 PM »
Definitely gotta have your safety equipment. I bought my dad out on Saturday and he was nervous at first just because of the weather we've had. Showed him how to use the spud bar and we checked every hour or so once it started warming up. Takes the worries away when it takes 5 whacks to get through
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2020, 11:54 AM »
i havent ice fished in CT this whole season due to sketchy ice, ive been heading north and they have issues with ice up there.

Its bad, always bring safety equipment and a spud bar. I know, crazy to think of using a spud in February but thats where we are at. If your solo, please let someone know where you are and what time to be expecting you home. Expect the best but prepare for the worst, have a plan, know what to do if you fall thru.

No fish is worth it
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2020, 12:17 PM »
Everyone talks about safety and what there bringing but no life jacket the most important part you can only hold on for so long

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2020, 12:30 PM »
Bershires still has 13''-14'' as of last Sunday.

Offline te-pe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2020, 03:05 PM »
hey yall..we gotta take the season for what it's worth. Only 2 good real cold snaps too lock things up and no snow for a easy drag.Got out just about every weekend so this is it for me this year and cant complain.Good times every time with the boys.Time to pack it all up.....

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2020, 11:34 AM »
Everyone talks about safety and what there bringing but no life jacket the most important part you can only hold on for so long

Does float suit count? Always have at least the bibs on.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.