Author Topic: Fish Jaws  (Read 3963 times)

Offline Dakotablood

• IceShanty Rookie
Fish Jaws
« on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:50 AM »
Who all cooks their fish jaws? My buddies grampa swears it's one the best pieces of fish. I got a nice walleye so figured I'd try it, also got some cheeks to try for the first time.
Hunt hard and Fear no fish!!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fish Jaws
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2018, 10:53 AM »
Never heard of anybody eating fish Jaws.
Doesn't seem like there'd be any meat on them?
Now fish cheeks is another story.
Especially when I'm catching halibut in the saltwater I never let a halibut cheek go.
But there's a pretty good amount of meat on a halibut cheek especially the ones that are 50 pounds or bigger.
Probably more meat on one cheek then there is in a whole entire crappie.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2018, 11:15 AM »
Never heard of anybody eating fish Jaws.
Doesn't seem like there'd be any meat on them?
Now fish cheeks is another story.
Especially when I'm catching halibut in the saltwater I never let a halibut cheek go.
But there's a pretty good amount of meat on a halibut cheek especially the ones that are 50 pounds or bigger.
Probably more meat on one cheek then there is in a whole entire crappie.
Ditto

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2018, 08:17 AM »
Good chance he was referring to the fish "jowls" which is the cheek. Also I have heard the best bites are the fish "collars" a meaty bit behind the gill.

Offline thepikepolice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2018, 08:20 PM »
Walleye cheeks are supreme eating! Similar to a scallop.

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2018, 09:11 PM »
I wonder if he was messing with you? What meat would even be on the jaws, fish lips? Some grandpas have been known to make sure the youth are getting their ration of bullcrap. Maybe I’m the jerk tho, lol. I suppose there’s stranger things we eat. I don’t even question what’s in a hot dog, for example and have eaten a mile of them. This reminds me of something else I heard of recently, walleye “wings” which I think are the front fins and pectoral meat, breaded and fried. I haven’t tried it but I saw on a walleye forum people were raving about them. Are those the same as the “collars” someone else mentioned here?

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2018, 10:01 PM »
There is a distinct difference between the cheeks and the jaws. The jaws are sometimes called wings around here. Jaws/wings are the area forward of the pectoral fins, not on the sides of the facial area of the fish. I do the 'wings' in the deep fryer and there can be a significant chunk of meat there. Just like cheeks, there is more meat on bigger fish.

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2018, 07:26 AM »
If jaws and wings are the same thing, that makes a lot of sense. Plenty of info about walleye wings online.

Offline Dakotablood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2018, 11:03 PM »
Ya I believe wings is right now that I think about it, I cooked one up tonight not bad not as much meat as I thought there might be but def firmer meat almost like chicken

Offline DU4LIFE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2018, 07:50 AM »
Walleye cheeks are supreme eating! Similar to a scallop.

spot on!

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2018, 04:38 PM »
I wonder if he was messing with you? What meat would even be on the jaws, fish lips? Some grandpas have been known to make sure the youth are getting their ration of bullcrap. Maybe I’m the jerk tho, lol. I suppose there’s stranger things we eat. I don’t even question what’s in a hot dog, for example and have eaten a mile of them. This reminds me of something else I heard of recently, walleye “wings” which I think are the front fins and pectoral meat, breaded and fried. I haven’t tried it but I saw on a walleye forum people were raving about them. Are those the same as the “collars” someone else mentioned here?
X2 Can't be beat for flavor.
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:24 PM »
Who all cooks their fish jaws? My buddies grampa swears it's one the best pieces of fish. I got a nice walleye so figured I'd try it, also got some cheeks to try for the first time.
Fish cheeks are fillet mignon of the fish world, but fish jaws, they are all cartilage, not for me.

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2018, 12:34 PM »
Thumbs up on the Cheek Meat!
Look for the beer flag, that's where i'm at

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2018, 06:19 PM »
Been told that fish stock is made by simmering the bones and flesh. Hopefully with everything else  removed. Me, never tried it. Sounds like a lot of work, for something that doesn't  taste good. Just saying.

Offline Dakotablood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2018, 11:51 PM »
Been told that fish stock is made by simmering the bones and flesh. Hopefully with everything else  removed. Me, never tried it. Sounds like a lot of work, for something that doesn't  taste good. Just saying.

It's made by slowly simmering the bones and scraps overnight. The stock is the base for gumbo's, chowders and other seafood dishes. Not very good by itself though

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2018, 04:23 PM »
 So! How does one make fish stock? Any secret family recipes?

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2018, 04:42 PM »
I would say you don't need to do it over the coarse of a night. Just save the heads and cleaned carcasses after filleting of your fish. Pull out the entrails and give them a rinse. In a large stock pot you add carrot, onion, garlic, celery, pepper corn, salt, dried parsley, cayenne pepper. Don't waste any time chopping anything finely. Take your head of garlic lay it on its side and cut every piece in half in one swipe and throw em all in there with skins and all like wise everything is very rustic. Bring to a boil and let it go simmering for a few hours. Strain the contents for the juice only as there will be tons of scales. Use as the base of fish chowders. There is no comparing the wonderful taste of a true fish stock seafood dish, but the aroma is powerful. I choose to make my chowders with chicken stock and just add fish or clams or shrimp etc. it punches you in the nose with every bite otherwise.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2018, 04:50 PM »
In some Asian countries the head of the fish is know as "the King's meat".

I'm good w/ eating fish cheeks, heads & etc.  But it freaked me out when I saw my Sister-In-law eat a chicken head...

PS I have a buddy that I watched eat the eyeball from a roasted pig.  I've got a pretty strong stomach.  But that nearly caused me to have a Budweiser "reversal of fortune" on the spot.  Ugh...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2018, 04:01 PM »
x3 on the fish cheeks. Freshwater scallops!
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.