The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Unloading a Propane Jiffy  (Read 2573 times)

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
Unloading a Propane Jiffy
« on: Jan 14, 2020, 07:38 PM »
Now that I have son drilling with a K-Drill, I'm going to sell my Jiffy pro 4 propane.  Any I put where might be the best place for this weekend?

Any and all help appreciated

ATG
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Unloading a Propane Jiffy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:27 PM »
Drop that garbage off at a metal shop for recycling!  If you make it to 5 years with one still working well you’re lucky.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:12 AM »
Facebook marketplace or Craigslist.

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:59 AM »
Funny I was going to get a KDrill but only because I want to cut the weight as I am always on foot. I have been running mine for 6 years problem free. They are good if you take care of them just like anything else. I always have luck on Craigslist when selling my stuff. What are you asking for it?
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2020, 06:44 AM »
I was thinking 250 w extra blades and blade cover
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2020, 08:30 AM »
Sounds like about the fair price for it!  Should sell and if it does not lower the price until it does!

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2020, 09:09 AM »

I would expect you to easily get that out of it. If I was to sell mine I was going to ask a little more but I wouldn’t be in a hurry to unload it unless I had my eye on something to spend the money on or upgrade. Good luck selling it!
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2020, 02:52 PM »
I know of 3 that were purchased on separate years and “taken care of” as well as you can, all 3 are toast.  The small rubber timing belt does not last.  Again, if you have them for long you’re lucky. 

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2020, 03:11 PM »
I know of 3 that were purchased on separate years and “taken care of” as well as you can, all 3 are toast.  The small rubber timing belt does not last.  Again, if you have them for long you’re lucky.

I remember when those propane augers came out and the immediate love affair people on I.S. had with them.  Now people cant dump them fast enough!  They may be fine for ice fishing in Florida but propane not so much at -20 while the old jiffy continues to shine.  Nothing like that smell and a shot of Jack to get your day started! ;D

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2020, 03:15 PM »
Drop that garbage off at a metal shop for recycling!  If you make it to 5 years with one still working well you’re lucky.

That Jiffy propane may be junk but not my Eskimo P1 propane rocket auger.  Thing is a beast, no issues whatsoever.  1 propane tank last you all season and don't have to worry about replacing batteries thank god.  Our community has an ice outing every year and there a lot of kids and adults.  Will punch easily over a couple hundred holes for all the partipants.  One helper had the kdrill and ran out of battery juice.  Thankfully I had my propane auger to save the day.  Best part is they still start no problem in -25f weather.   :thumbsup:

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2020, 03:21 PM »
That Jiffy propane may be junk but not my Eskimo P1 propane rocket auger.  Thing is a beast, no issues whatsoever.  1 propane tank last you all season and don't have to worry about replacing batteries thank god.  Our community has an ice outing every year and there a lot of kids and adults.  Will punch easily over a couple hundred holes for all the partipants.  One helper had the kdrill and ran out of battery juice.  Thankfully I had my propane auger to save the day.  Best part is they still start no problem in -25f weather.   :thumbsup:

Penn. is practically right next to Florida, no shot at -25. ;D  Northern Maine completely different world. :tipup:

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2020, 03:24 PM »
I remember when those propane augers came out and the immediate love affair people on I.S. had with them.  Now people cant dump them fast enough!  They may be fine for ice fishing in Florida but propane not so much at -20 while the old jiffy continues to shine.  Nothing like that smell and a shot of Jack to get your day started! ;D

With the weather trends we've have over the last several years, don't think your goin to have to worry about those negative temps, lol.  We can't even make ice.  And as far as people dumping them, not sure about that, maybe jiffys.  I don't know anybody that owns a jiffy propane but I know several people with the Eskimo propane auger and love them and have not had any issues with mechanical functioning or start ups in extreme cold weather.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2020, 03:28 PM »
Penn. is practically right next to Florida, no shot at -25. ;D  Northern Maine completely different world. :tipup:

Yea, I do own a vehicle and I can travel FYI ::). I fished in Canada and New Hampshire with it where they do see cold bitter weather and still didn't have a problem.  Sorry to disappoint you.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2020, 03:54 PM »
My buddy got so sick n tired of his jiffy propane one time last year he smashed it on the ice til there was nothing left lmao. He went out n bought a 2 stroke jiffy the next day. Couldn’t be happier.

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2020, 04:10 PM »
The jiffy is the problem, not the propane!   ;D

-25 is not a problem for propane, for the few short seasons mine ran it had no issues in extreme cold, I’ve heard great things about the Eskimo propane, if I were going to go back to propane that would be my choice.  I’m very happy with my ion x, third season with it and no complaints - other than the new generation has different style batteries that won’t fit it...

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2020, 04:22 PM »
My buddy got so sick n tired of his jiffy propane one time last year he smashed it on the ice til there was nothing left lmao. He went out n bought a 2 stroke jiffy the next day. Couldn’t be happier.

I can't even begin to guess how many hundreds if not thousands of 30,40, even 50 year old jiffy's are still in regular use Nick, we should revisit this thread in 50 years and see if the same can be said about propane and battery. 😁

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2020, 04:26 PM »
I can't even begin to guess how many hundreds if not thousands of 30,40, even 50 year old jiffy's are still in regular use Nick, we should revisit this thread in 50 years and see if the same can be said about propane and battery. 😁

The electric augers will be needing new batteries, but the Jiffys' have always needed new gas (and maintenance).
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2020, 04:27 PM »

That's so funny! I watched my buddy body slam a Craftsman lawn mower in his driveway until it was pretty much unrecognizable. Steve's been known to have quite the temper. In the end he was exhausted...

It's not just Jiffy OR propane but a sign that anything not electric is going to become unsaleable at some point. I'll always keep one gas job around but sold three others before I bought into an electric setup. I'd say unless you're going to keep one around (like me) the sooner you get out the more likely you can sell what you have for a better price.

Even though I'm not a FB guy from what I've seen FB marketplace is superior to CL. I just picked up three tipups from a guy offa CL last week. He was very happy I showed up. Said he'd had at least 15 parties that had said they were coming and failed not only to show but have the courtesy to contact him and say they weren't. Had an outboard a few years ago I put on CL. It was either people wanting to lowball or someone from Indiana (no disrespect to any Hoosiers here) wanting me to drive two hours to meet them in Chicago. Pfffffffft! Did finally unload it to a local guy in a trade instead of cash but the trade was very good for me so no carping there.

Good luck with your sale!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2020, 04:30 PM »

That's so funny! I watched my buddy body slam a Craftsman lawn mower in his driveway until it was pretty much unrecognizable. Steve's been known to have quite the temper. In the end he was exhausted...

It's not just Jiffy OR propane but a sign that anything not electric is going to become unsaleable at some point. I'll always keep one gas job around but sold three others before I bought into an electric setup. I'd say unless you're going to keep one around (like me) the sooner you get out the more likely you can sell what you have for a better price.

Even though I'm not a FB guy from what I've seen FB marketplace is superior to CL. I just picked up three tipups from a guy offa CL last week. He was very happy I showed up. Said he'd had at least 15 parties that had said they were coming and failed not only to show but have the courtesy to contact him and say they weren't. Had an outboard a few years ago I put on CL. It was either people wanting to lowball or someone from Indiana (no disrespect to any Hoosiers here) wanting me to drive two hours to meet them in Chicago. Pfffffffft! Did finally unload it to a local guy in a trade instead of cash but the trade was very good for me so no carping there.

Good luck with your sale!

I have a small lawn and needed a new lawn mower.  Bought electric and it is amazing. Probably not for large lawns but do very well for 45 minutes of use.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:14 PM »
I have had my pro 4 since they came out and I absolutely love it, when I'm riding and don't have to carry it.  I just bought a drill for when I'm walking.  I have no problems what so ever, with my pro 4, even in the cold.  I just unscrew the tank and keep it in the warm shanty with me.  If I want to cut more holes, it takes what, fifteen seconds to screw it back on for use?  If your fishing in -25 degrees I'm pretty sure your fishing in a warm shanty.  I'm sure even the dumbest individual can figure out how to keep the tank from freezing, if he tried hard enough.  As for the pro 4 being junk, you can find just as many threads on here with people saying they love em, as you can saying they don't.  They are just like "everything" else, there are good and bad with all.  As for your pricing, I would think someone will snatch it up pretty quick, even with the naysayers calling them junk.  I know I wouldn't sell mine for less then that.

Keep that drill battery charged!  The jiffy is on borrowed time!  :P

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:17 PM »
I've had no problem with my jiffy propane except when very cold I had to keep the bottle in my jacket to keep it warm but after that no problem for the rest of the day. But My old ass gas jiffy still works like New after 20 years  ;D
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:34 PM »
My coworker has the Propane Jiffy. Bought it new, and uses it maybe 3 times a season. He had some seals go this season!! Glad I didn't go that route!!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:53 PM »
Sounds like jiffy engineering didn't master the propane auger like eskimo did.

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2020, 06:36 AM »

Simply the best auger hands down. Mine is 40+ years. Handed down to me from a friend who says he cut thousands of holes with it. It never fails, when in doubt hit the primer one more time.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2020, 08:18 AM »
Good luck selling, I've got a gorgeous, Techumseh powered, 10" Jiffy 30 with a powerhead cover and brand new spare blade in addition to the one that is already on the drill and I can't sell it for $150. The propane should be slightly more marketable but man, electric augers have really just decimated that market. No one wants a 40lb auger anymore.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2020, 09:07 AM »
Good luck selling, I've got a gorgeous, Techumseh powered, 10" Jiffy 30 with a powerhead cover and brand new spare blade in addition to the one that is already on the drill and I can't sell it for $150. The propane should be slightly more marketable but man, electric augers have really just decimated that market. No one wants a 40lb auger anymore.

Where are you located?

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2020, 09:17 AM »

I think that is more to do with the "newness" of the whole concept.  After people buy a few $200 batteries, that old jiffy standing in the corner may come back in vogue.  Who really "carries" an auger anyways?  We all pull up with up with our sled, drill the hole, put it back in the sled.  Rinse. Repeat. @)

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2020, 09:30 AM »
I think that is more to do with the "newness" of the whole concept.  After people buy a few $200 batteries, that old jiffy standing in the corner may come back in vogue.  Who really "carries" an auger anyways?  We all pull up with up with our sled, drill the hole, put it back in the sled.  Rinse. Repeat. @)

I agree but a light weight option prior to this was a hand auger. If you run and gun hand augers get tiring and that is where the drills shine. They are light weight and cut quick with little effort. If you fish off a snowmobile or quad weight doesn’t matter. I move a lot on foot and cut a lot of holes with my propane auger. It gets a lot of use with minimal cost in propane but by myself and the amount I move it can be arduous to tote around. If you just go to one spot and drill one or two holes a hand auger will fit the bill. Drill augers seems like a good median. 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2020, 09:34 AM »
Lol, still using my outdated Strikemaster/Honda. It weighs a pound more than the 8" Ion does and starts on the second pull. I figure when it gets too heavy for my old a$$ I'll mount it on skis.  ;D ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2020, 11:19 AM »
i sold mine on the ice for 100 bucks.........wont ever have a 50lb propane auger again.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.