The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: In search of ICE  (Read 6316 times)

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: In search of ICE
« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2008, 05:27 PM »
Georgetown lake, Do you fish over weeds or gravel? Last year I had a hard time finding anything but weeds. Might go next week. Sounds like a bit of a cooling spell coming in.

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 09, 2008, 09:53 AM »
I'm sure there are those who know the lake better than I do, but I've fished Georgetown for many years both summer and winter.  Except for some areas along the shore line, I've never found a gravel bottom at any depth.  P-Burg Bay this summer was especially bad for weeds.   We usually fish over weeds in the winter or just at the edge of a weed bed.  I would be interested to hear what others have to say.

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 09, 2008, 01:35 PM »
As 45-75 said on the edge of weed bed. I have drilled holes and not even been able to get a hook down because of the weeds but still fish over weeds.

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 14, 2008, 09:11 AM »
catgrizfans: how do I find the National Weather station at Georgetown Lake? Thanks, Icejigs.

Offline all4elk

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline catgrizfans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:24 AM »
catgrizfans: how do I find the National Weather station at Georgetown Lake? Thanks, Icejigs.

[/Sorry for the late reply but was out. There are 2 sites that I think are very useful  #1 the road report camera that shows 3 views of GT Lake: www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/weather/rwis_google.shtml.    (Arn't these URLs fun??]   #2 is the NOAA site that has weather and forecasts:  www.wrh.noaa.gov/mso/newlcl.php    Should bring up map, you can run your cursor over and find GTL. Then click on for once a day temp, and snow depth near 7-Gables. Upper left of page is search box that lets you type in location for SPOT forecast. For GTL just type in georgetownlake,mt   for Stevensville    stevensville,mt   etc, etc. You can move the map around and click on anywhere in MT for spot forecasts. Was a lot of times in the close to 50 years I have fished GTL that this tech. would have saved us turning around or getting into trouble a couple of times years ago.   all4elk had a good idea, if these don't do what they should just use google to find MT Road Report Site and NOAA Weather site and go from there. Hope this helps.

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 18, 2008, 07:28 PM »
Got on to Harrison Lake today.  Ice ranged from 6 to 8 inches.  Winds were surprisingly calm for this lake, and temps were a balmy 20 degrees.  Shared the lake with maybe 6 other people.  Fishing was slow, but did catch a 3.5 lb rainbow, a 1.5 lb brown (which I put back in), and I missed 3 other strikes.  All in all, a great start to the season.  Look forward to getting back over there after this next cold snap.

bill

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 18, 2008, 07:43 PM »
People finally getting out there huh?  I live within a mile about of the lake but fish the willow creek arm almost exclusively.  Had about 12inches over there and marked quite a few fish but only had two hits, I missed mine but my brother hooked his which was a dink (14" >:().  I was at the lake last night getting a buddy unstuck from a snow drift.  Did you fish the point or straight out from the boat dock?

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 19, 2008, 03:16 PM »
I saw that you were from the Harrison area, and was kind of surprised that I hadn't seen you post an ice condition report, now I understand why.  I usually fish between the first point and the sand bluff just as you come in to the lake.  I also fish just north and west of the boat ramp area (I like fishing the shallower water just to the west of the deeper area).  I fished the first area yesterday.  I expect we will probably run into each other at some point this winter if you make it over to that area.  I usually fish during the week days (retired military) and leave the weekends to the crowds.

bill

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 19, 2008, 03:27 PM »
I actually think I did see you out there fishing off that little willow sand bar that is near the mouth of that channel you come in on.  The ice is really firming up but man o man that lake really likes to groan all the time.  I've been posting ice and fishing reports on the montana fishing reports and conditions forum as much as possible.  I've always been taught to fish deep but have had good luck in shallow water.  I drive a red chevy by the way :)   Good Luck and tight lines!!

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 19, 2008, 04:57 PM »
fished browns on the 6th of dec good ice and drove to nevada creek and it looked pretty good and after this cold snap will probably be great ice.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 20, 2008, 05:22 PM »
Fished Harrison a bunch in college but haven't really been back.  Mostly due to the fact that I've had a lot of really cold days and little success.  I always fished in the bay in front of the boat ramp.  Are there other ways in to fish or is that the only access.  I have always heard great things.  Even heard about a "special color jig" but like I said never really had any good luck there
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 20, 2008, 06:45 PM »
Fished Harrison a bunch in college but haven't really been back.  Mostly due to the fact that I've had a lot of really cold days and little success.  I always fished in the bay in front of the boat ramp.  Are there other ways in to fish or is that the only access.  I have always heard great things.  Even heard about a "special color jig" but like I said never really had any good luck there

Yeah, like the time we went and dulled 3 or 4 augers within a couple holes each because of all the debris in the ice from the wind  :o

I developed a strong hatred for Harrison on that day ;D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 20, 2008, 07:18 PM »
how doing wingnutty.

yep fond memories of harrison, but I know they are in there.  Thinking I might head out there again sometime.  Got the Vexi now so worst that can happen is I don't catch any.  Wouldn't be the first time out there.

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 20, 2008, 07:20 PM »
The main road in from Harrison is the only way I know of.  I understand that there are a few other routes in, but I think that they all traverse private property.  I see a lot of people go in with ATV's when the ice is good and head primarily north to the neck, but I stay on foot so hit the areas close to the campgrounds.

On snowless years the winds really drive across the surrounding land mass and deposit a LOT of grit on the ice making it real difficault on the ole auger blades.  But I guess that every area has one pitfall or another, huh?

I gave up on color a few years ago.  It seemed like one year "green" did real well, then the next, "red" was the key.  Pretty much fish different colors on my rods until I find a color that seems more consistent than the others.  I do the same as far as depth, one rod a few feet down, the other towards the bottom.  I suppose the way that I fish is somewhat a crapshoot, but it usally works.

I like Harrison primarily for two reasons.  One - usually not a big crowd there.  Second - although you usually don't catch a lot of fish, the ones that you do catch are usually pretty nice fish.  

Can't wait till middle of next week (I think temps are moderating into the teens by then) so that I can head back over to try again.

By the way, anyone here ever fish Delmoe Lake.  I never have, but someone told me a few days ago that there are some pretty nice fish there as well.  I would think that it gets hammered quite a bit by the Butte folk, but am not sure.

bill

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 21, 2008, 10:44 AM »
I've only been to delmoe once and I got a creepy feeling.  There were a bunch of strange people there and they were all just staring at us like people do in a horror movie.  Probably not a reason not to go back but I haven't been.  As for harrison I'd love to learn more if your ever planning on heading out maybe we can hook up.  I have an atv if need be but I've had some bad experiences so I'd rather wait till the ice gets thicker.
joe

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 21, 2008, 03:59 PM »
The only legal and direct route to access Harrison Lake is to turn at the ATM and go out that way.  The other private way is likely going to get locked up due to the increase of boat traffic in the summers.  I agree with Waterloo when he says there isnt a specific color to use that I have found.  Caught 4 fish last year and one was one a orange ratso, white/chartreuse pimple w/egg, Tiny Tot green trout jig, Wooly Bugger, and an airplane jig........Some people like to use just a plain hook with a worm, an egg, or a maggot, and they have decent success.  There is quite a bit of ice out there now so people will start showing up with their 4-wheelers before long.  Tight Lines

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 21, 2008, 10:35 PM »
For Joe - am planning on going back to the lake on wednsday if wind permits.  I personally don't use an ATV, so ice thickness isn't a concern with me.  If you or cutbow make it out on wednsday, I drive a aqua-blue ford f150.  I also get my gear on the ice with a clam shelter (altho I never set it up). 

bill

Offline hktteng

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 21, 2008, 10:55 PM »
Went to Holter today, 5 inches down At Log gulch, caught 8 rainbows and lost three in an hour and a half...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.