The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: In search of ICE  (Read 6315 times)

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
In search of ICE
« on: Nov 29, 2008, 06:45 PM »
Took a drive today and went to Ovado and found Browns lake totally froze over, but ice was rotten. Same with Upsata lake, froze but crap! Nevada creek Res wide open. So looks like we'll be fishing around another couple weeks or so if the weather could get a little colder. I'll be ice hunting up north tomorrow and will post what I find. Going to go check out Pishkun Res and Split rock maybe a couple others if I can't find anything. Later, and would like to hear some other reports.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
Re: In search of ICE
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2008, 09:33 PM »
Pish,Nilan and willow are wide open,Ill be up there tomorow hunting Ill let you know if I see any ice.

Offline catgrizfans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2008, 03:00 PM »
Been reports of ice fishing at Georgetown over the weekend. One regular on the Montana Outdoors Chat Forum reported he fished near Redbridge and found 4" of good ice under inch of slush. He reported fair fishing for small trout and even smaller Kokanee.  My sister spend Thanksgiving at GT and said there were several parties ice fishing.  Personally think it is still early for the lake as a whole especially with the warmer temps the last few days.  Still quite a bit of open water near the edges and on the south end where water is warm with lots of springs. We are thinking of driving over mid week and taking a couple of augers and checking GT out. In addition to the State now having a web cam where you can look at pictures of GT Lake in near real time online, the National Weather Service has relocated thier Computerized Weather Station near 7 Gables so we can check the temps and snow depth daily online.  It's really been useful over the years.

Offline wvmountaineer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2008, 11:16 PM »
I had a customer come in today at work and said he fished Frank Lake. This lake is near Eureka, and had about 2" of ice. He said he drilled several holes and got movement so he made shot of the trip. Trout were taken.

Offline pickledpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2008, 11:49 PM »
I heard the same Georgetown report from a friend with a cabin on the lake.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2008, 07:31 AM »
I heard yesterday that Lower Stillwater is covered with ice and people are fishing it.  3" is the measurement that was reported....  After this little warm weather system I wonder if it will still be there...

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2008, 10:23 AM »
catgrizfans,
If you make that trip to Georgetown this week, let us know what you find and the areas or bays you checked out.  Thanks for the info.

Offline catgrizfans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2008, 11:52 AM »
.45-75WCF

10-4!   The spot forcast for Georgetown Lake is for 7 above tonight and 8 above tommorrow night.  Just a forcast but sounds good. We decided to drive over from Stevi on Friday based on this. Will concentrate on West Side ie Philispburg Bay to Comers Point but look over the entire Lake. Will post what we find out.

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2008, 02:05 PM »
catgrizfans,
That would be great.  Look forward to getting your report.  I'm here in Florence and our plan was to go over on Saturday.  This may depend on your report.  Good luck.

Offline all4elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2008, 08:52 PM »
Ya let us know. I was thinking of going over saturday or sunday.All depends on how i feel  the flu sucks!

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2008, 08:20 AM »
I can tell you it has been COLD here! I will be out on Comers Saturday to check it out. I work with a guy that lives on the lake and he said there have been "Ice Kiters" on the lake at Dentons but he had not seen anyone fishing yet. That was day before so I am sure with the cold it is making ice fast.

Offline PerchFan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2008, 07:45 PM »
Anyone know anything with this recent cold snap??

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2008, 08:19 AM »
I know that Smith Lake out by Kila has fishable 3-4 inches of ice.

I'm heading to Lake 5, Half-Moon Lake and Lion Lake to check them all at lunch today....will report back....

Offline catgrizfans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2008, 04:34 PM »
catgrizfans,
That would be great.  Look forward to getting your report.  I'm here in Florence and our plan was to go over on Saturday.  This may depend on your report.  Good luck.

(We made a quick trip to GT Lake this morning 12/5) (had to get back so did not fish). The lake is completely iced over expect for a stringer of what appears to be open water west of Denton's Point. Two ice fishing parties near Sunnyside, one at Comers Point, and one over near Red Bridge. We drilled holes on the West Side and measured with tape. Solid 3-3.5 inches of new ice 25 to 100 feet out from shore. The exception was one point at Sunnyside when we walked out another 200 feet there was less than 2 inches in one hole. Roads ok but a little slick, only a couple of inches snow so access roads are fine. Warmer temps (36 degrees when we left mid morning) than expected coupled with brisk south end is causing some degradation to the existing ice, ie slush. Also wind has made portions slick to walk on without cleats. Bottom line: We have decided to wait a little longer for colder weather and a little thicker ice, but people are fishing.)

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:05 AM »
catgrizfans,

(We made a quick trip to GT Lake this morning 12/5) (had to get back so did not fish). The lake is completely iced over expect for a stringer of what appears to be open water west of Denton's Point. Two ice fishing parties near Sunnyside, one at Comers Point, and one over near Red Bridge. We drilled holes on the West Side and measured with tape. Solid 3-3.5 inches of new ice 25 to 100 feet out from shore. The exception was one point at Sunnyside when we walked out another 200 feet there was less than 2 inches in one hole. Roads ok but a little slick, only a couple of inches snow so access roads are fine. Warmer temps (36 degrees when we left mid morning) than expected coupled with brisk south end is causing some degradation to the existing ice, ie slush. Also wind has made portions slick to walk on without cleats. Bottom line: We have decided to wait a little longer for colder weather and a little thicker ice, but people are fishing.)

Thanks for the info. 40degF at my house this morning so I think I will pass until there is more ice. I like 6" of ice before I go. Making sausage today so will stay house and babysit the smokehouse.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2008, 10:05 AM »
Lion Lake = 85% covered over 2" at the edges all good clear ice
Halfmoon = Covered, couldn't find the way in but could see the whole lake so no Ice depths
Lake 5 = 75% covered only access area I know of at the shore still in the "unfrozen zone", all the ice looks black

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2008, 01:08 PM »
Tongue river res still pretty much wide open.. :'(

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2008, 03:58 PM »
nelson is 95% covered.  Didn't check ice depth, probably 1-3"

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2008, 07:25 PM »
Well, after reading catgrizfans report last evening about the conditions at Georgetown Lake, I wasn't very excited about going over today.  Especially when my fishing partner had to cancel because of the flu.  Against my better judgement, winter storm/freezing ice warnings and the not-so-hot-so lake reports I'd heard, I went over anyway by myself.  I left Florence at 6:15 and was in my ice house fishing by 8:30.  There were only six houses on the lake that I could see and four of them were at Sunnyside.  That is our usual hangout so I was pleased to see others in the same area.  I drilled a hole in about 4" of good ice (be sure to wear your ice cleats, because it's REALLY slick) put my jig in the water, watched the fish finder and before 9:30, I had landed fourteen Rainbow and one Salmon.  By the time I left at 2:00pm I had caught only two Salmon, but I landed fourty four Rainbow.  That's right, fourty four.  It was a GREAT first day of the season.

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2008, 07:55 PM »
Hyalite has no good ice and is open on the upper end by the boat dock.

Offline MSU Jay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:55 PM »
I fished Hylite today on 5in.

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2008, 12:37 PM »
The ice didnt look safe at all......you must've fished down by the dam.

Offline MSU Jay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2008, 01:23 PM »
I  was on the south end of the lake, went back up this morning and all the melted snow from yesterday has frozen.

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2008, 03:04 PM »
Nelson is still frozen, saw 3 guys on the ice on my way to chase pheasants.  I wouldn't chance it yet though.  THey must not have stayed long cause on my way back with a couple roosters they were gone.  They were on the N. end.  It'll be fishable by the weekend I would think, supposed to get below 0 towards the end of the week :o

Offline MTpike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release into BACON GREASE!!!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2008, 08:20 PM »
Hyalite has no good ice and is open on the upper end by the boat dock.
Yeah.. you're right, there's noo fishable ice at hylite.  ::). Then how did I fish 5-6 inches of ice both saturday AND sunday?

Offline catgrizfans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2008, 07:27 AM »
Well, after reading catgrizfans report last evening about the conditions at Georgetown Lake, I wasn't very excited about going over today.  Especially when my fishing partner had to cancel because of the flu.  Against my better judgement, winter storm/freezing ice warnings and the not-so-hot-so lake reports I'd heard, I went over anyway by myself.  I left Florence at 6:15 and was in my ice house fishing by 8:30.  There were only six houses on the lake that I could see and four of them were at Sunnyside.  That is our usual hangout so I was pleased to see others in the same area.  I drilled a hole in about 4" of good ice (be sure to wear your ice cleats, because it's REALLY slick) put my jig in the water, watched the fish finder and before 9:30, I had landed fourteen Rainbow and one Salmon.  By the time I left at 2:00pm I had caught only two Salmon, but I landed fourty four Rainbow.  That's right, fourty four.  It was a GREAT first day of the season.

[/Glad you had a good first day. Boy you must have been cleaning trout till midnight!!! (just kidding!)  Another couple of guys we know from Stevi must have fished near you Sat. and reported near 4 inches ice and lots of small trout , but only 3-4 salmon which isn't unusual there for the salmon this time of year. Curious, did you hook on to any of the older age class trout, ie 17-20+ inchers?  Last year was the first year for a long time that we did not catch many of the bigger trout in the Badger Bay Area.  Again, good job and didn't mean to be too conservative with my report but worry about someone without experience reading it and getting into trouble in the early season.  Hope to see you on the ice!!! ]

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2008, 09:41 AM »
It's always best to be a little conservative when reporting the thickness of "new" ice.  I saw some tire tracks from a pickup where some idiot had driven out on only 3 or 4 inches of ice.  He made a big circle about 100 feet out and then back to shore.  I didn't keep any fish on this first trip out, but may keep a couple each time from here on out.  I don't need a whole freezer full of fish.  Here are some estimated figures and size ranges of the trout from last Saturday.  I actually hooked forty eight trout and lost four.  Of the forty four I landed, five or six were 9 to10 inch.  Around twenty five were in the 12 to 14 inch class and the rest were all over 14 inch.  I think the largest was 17 or 18 inch.  The water was 16 feet deep where I was fishing and I fished at 12 to 14 feet.  Next Saturday.

Hi-ho, Hi-ho, it's off to Georgetown I go.

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2008, 10:01 AM »
I went to G-town yesterday but did not get out there until 3:30pm. Went to comers. 4-5" of good ice.
Caught 8 fish. 1 smaller one and the rest all  12"-14". Fished about 2 hours. There was some open water straight out from parking area.

Offline Montana Trout Slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2008, 12:07 PM »
Yeah.. you're right, there's noo fishable ice at hylite.  ::). Then how did I fish 5-6 inches of ice both saturday AND sunday?

How was the fishing up at Hyalite?  Any nice cuts or grayling to report?

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2008, 01:19 PM »
I'm sorry I jumped to my conclusion ok......I merely did not like the color of the ice and acknoledge that I was wrong in my report.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.