The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fort Peck  (Read 7724 times)

Offline MNpup

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fort Peck
« Reply #30 on: Jan 29, 2018, 12:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies y'all! This has been super helpful so far, gotta love this forum!

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fort Peck
« Reply #31 on: Jan 30, 2018, 01:31 PM »
I fished Peck last week, with 6 guys we were guiding out of the Lakeridge.  Excellent ice conditions everywhere we went, 12-15".  Out from the shaft houses, all the way out to Bear Creek, Duck was fine, just a little too much commotion on the weekends, so we looked for less disturbed areas.  Just about everywhere we went caught 10#/35" average northerns, lakers to 33" and eyes to 28".

Just this past Friday the morning sets brought a 43" pike and a 38" laker and several eater eyes.  My biggest takeaway was this...the feeding window changes almost daily, that is why you need to fish your maximum number of lines, and leave them overnight, which is legal.  You need to look at the belly contents of the first fish you keep, we had one morning that when we downsized our minnows/baits, we lit 'em up!  One day, the 10am to 2pm bite was HOT, next it was an evening bite. 

The fish are everywhere, but you have to fish hard, check your lines often, keep your bait fresh.  We caught fish just out from the shaft house, an easy walk to several good spots, but you are really short changing yourself if you don't have at least ONE machine.

Plenty of lodging available at the Lakeridge, and Eddie and the gang offer everything from fully guided dawn to dark trips, to just a nudge in the right direction...and plenty of good quality bait.

Mike
Great report Mike. I appreciate your willingness to offer a little information. You helped with downrigger parts last summer and I appreciated that a lot. I can assure you that I'll direct anyone asking, in your direction, for a great trip!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.