The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lowrance Elite-4 HDI Ice Machine  (Read 7444 times)

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lowrance Elite-4 HDI Ice Machine
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2015, 09:36 AM »
Lowrance has a Rebate offer good through 2/28/15. $50 off for the elite 3x, elite 4xhdi and $100 off for the Elite-5 Chirp, Elite5 hdi . I just purchased the Elite 5 hdi and luv it. I don't use the flasher mode on it as I like the fact you can see history on sonar and jigging pattern and how fish react to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOWRANCE-PPP-18I-PORTABLE-ICE-FISHING-PROTECTIVE-CASE-000-10209-001-NEW-/191477083850?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c94ec6eca
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline hk_willow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2015, 10:01 AM »
I found this post last night while jigging around on shanty... thought you with the 4, may be able to use it:
MT maps from toolucky406, his arcmap skills are second to none!

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=202841.0

I'm going to try to load these maps to my 4, from the manual it shouldn't be too bad.

Offline mtcain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2015, 10:35 PM »
MT maps from toolucky406, his arcmap skills are second to none!

What he used was Google Earth to make the images not ArcMap. ArcMap is nice to make georeference PDF maps but the software is very pricey.

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2015, 11:42 PM »
What he used was Google Earth to make the images not ArcMap. ArcMap is nice to make georeference PDF maps but the software is very pricey.

What is stated is true but what I used to make the .kml files IS from ArcMap. Intention is for everyone to use it as please....and it's FREE!

Offline hk_willow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:07 AM »

Truth... Google earth is great but has its limitations. The images are only so helpful, to me the real power is when you load them up to your GPS!  Thanks again TL406, I know how painful ArcMap can be sometimes.

Offline gamehog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 11, 2015, 04:17 PM »
can you use this unit through the ice with the transducer for a boat or does a person need the ice ducer??

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2015, 05:06 PM »
The boat transducer will work but the hard thing is to keep it level.The ice ducer is self leveling. The are lots of info on diy boat transducer conversion on the main forum. Just do a search on "transducer mount."

Offline gamehog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2015, 05:12 PM »
sounds good.so as long as it is level and you put a battery on it then its good to go.for the monery it don't look like a bad unit.if one was to buy it would it be better then a fl-18.i like the flasher option but also like the screen that shows the fish coming by.i know there is a lot of opinions just would like to get some more info before pulling the trigger on one or the other.thanks

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2015, 06:03 PM »
If it's about using a duel sonar for both season then it's a no brainer, go with the Elite series.  If it solely about the ice and you prefer the flasher then can't beat the FL18. Also, once you used the graph mode, going back to the flasher is a non factor.

...... also leveling the boat ducer is harder(more less an inconvenience) then it seem. Personally spend the extra $$$ is well worth the trouble.

$70(transducer)@ Cabelas right now too

Offline clay3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:22 PM »
Lowrance has a Rebate offer good through 2/28/15. $50 off for the elite 3x, elite 4xhdi and $100 off for the Elite-5 Chirp, Elite5 hdi . I just purchased the Elite 5 hdi and luv it. I don't use the flasher mode on it as I like the fact you can see history on sonar and jigging pattern and how fish react to it.

Where can you find this rebate?  I was just looking at the Elite-4x HDI today (on sale at a big box store in New Hampshire) for $169.99.

Offline pricklyperch1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:32 AM »
I really wanted a new vexilar until I started reading this thread.  Might have to check these out, especially for use on the open water too! 

Offline hk_willow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:36 AM »
Where can you find this rebate?  I was just looking at the Elite-4x HDI today (on sale at a big box store in New Hampshire) for $169.99.

I found my rebate here: http://www.cabelas.com/assets/pdfs/lowrance_ice_machine_rebate_2-28-15.pdf But I did buy mine from cabelas.

Offline Jeremy406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 15, 2015, 02:06 PM »

The 4x does not have the gps if you didn't know that. You can find the rebate form on Lowrance web site as well.

Offline hk_willow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:56 PM »
Pretty excited broke down Bull lake from toolucky406's Google Earth Bathymetric/Contour Maps.  I can provide this *.usr file to anyone who wants it.  Didn't map up 100%, but I think it looks decent enough to use.  Next on my list is G-town!

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 17, 2015, 05:52 PM »
I got the elite 4x this year..worth it.  Not sure what all the hype is about the flashers either I can watch fish follow my jig at depths over 100' with this rig.  It is awesome for salmon, see fish.. move lure, almost like a video game ahah. love it.

Offline slip.sinker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 13, 2015, 01:44 PM »
Most of the forum's that i've read has said getting the different ducer will improve your field of view.  The ice ducer is a narrower cone.  Wider field of view may be better while in motion.  I bet it also depends on the angle you have your transducer set on the boat too.  I'm interested to hook mine up and see if the ice ducer will work or if its just better to get the open water one.

GL let me know how you like it.  I have yet to use the gps waypoints yet, but I have a feeling i can mark some cool things in the summer to go back and ice fish in the winter!

actually it is better to spend the money on the transducer for the boat … trolling motor or transom mount. This exercises the full capability of your sonar unit, your Elite 4HDI is capable of DSI down scan imaging… it is not included on the ice transducer. DSI is definitely worth the extra money to incorporate in open water fishing.  Visa versa the ice transducer is designed just for ice fishing incorporating only sonar and is tapered at the top for easy removal from the ice hole.
The transducer for ice fishing is the 83/200 KHZ model that will produce cone angles of 70 and 24 degs respectively. Set your KHZ on your sonar to 24 degs you will have the narrower cone.
http://bigbluegill.com/group/ice-ing-gills-rigs-tips-and-tricks/forum/topics/ice-fishing-sonar-knowledge-data-base
the sonar is also capable of creating your own custom lake maps that you can load into your sonar unit via micro sd card. Your lake map is generated and written to coordinate with your GPS on the sonar unit so when you want to be on that end of point or drop off you will see it on the screen… you are there.
http://bigbluegill.com/group/fishing-electronics/forum/topics/creating-electronic-lake-maps-with-your-lowrance-elite-hdi-and
creating a lake map on the Elite 4 HDI
http://bigbluegill.com/group/fishing-electronics/forum/topics/tabbert-pond-mapping

Offline hk_willow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 13, 2015, 02:16 PM »
Great information!!! I did buy the open water transducer used it this summer and have loved this unit. It's about everything I need.

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 13, 2015, 10:53 PM »
I got to use this unit a couple of times at the end of last season and I enjoyed it. For all the talk that I was going to use it on my float tube in the summer,  it didn't happen. Haha. At any rate, I am looking forward to using it on several lakes in Idaho but I'm most excited to use it on the kokes on Georgetown!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.