The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Dead Bait Enhancing  (Read 436 times)

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dead Bait Enhancing
« on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:13 PM »
Alright all you gator/walleye chasers. Typically I have had most luck on live bait or jigs on a jigging rod. Dead bait just hasn't been as effective. Is their any way to enhance dead bait with some sort of scent or salting perhaps. Any favorite scents or salts out there to really get that dead bait giving off some fishy aromas?
Perhaps downsizing the tackle its rigged on as the pike/walleye tend to have a lot more time to look at and inspect the bait? Or taking off all the flashy spoons that come more alive with live bait? Love to hear from you guys!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Dead Bait Enhancing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Bad Azz dyes makes some cool colors.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:11 PM »
Windlass tip ups.  They have a arm with a aluminum 'sail' the it uses to jig the dead bait with even a light breeze.  Need a lot of tending in cold weather as the line runs above the ice to the spool on the rocker arm and I'd use coated tipup line as wet line when you reel in will freeze solid on the exposed spool.  That being said I've had two of these out fish 4 standards 2 or 3 to one on the right day when they need some movement to commit.

Offline shortgame247

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:50 AM »
Good info

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.