The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Flathead battle.  (Read 6542 times)

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Flathead battle.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:09 AM »
Ya, was in the Missoulian too.

Offline whiptail

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:21 AM »
All I know is that I started Pete's Tackle on flies I tied for Flathead Lakers Now this past year sales on trolling stuff was almost nill. I feel there destroying not just Flathead but all waters leading in or out to the Columbia river drainage and as fisher men we should be up in arms on how they manage our fisheries. I talked to Jim Vashero before he retired and he asked me who the Pres of Flathead Walleyes unlimited was and I told him. Then asked why and he wanted to solicit funds for improving accesses. I ask why do you always ask for money from a group that your trying to destroy there  fish that they like to eat and fish for. Then I asked why don't you get some other group like TU to fund that and he said they will not and they never have. Now I have followed and spoke out on the first management plan and found that TU is funding the tribe. Now we have groups that help enhance and we have groups that destroy in the name of preservation. now I also ask why destroy Flathead fisheries?If they do this they will soon be after what you enjoy to fish for. Now we have Pond here in Kalispell for planted trout for the kids and we have lakes and rivers that  only experts can catch fish and they have to spend hours teaching a kid how to catch fish in these waters. Now I learned how to fish on lakes and stream here and had so much fun as a child and then a young man to where i am now. If anything the FWP should be enhancing our fisheries and so we can take our kids to lakes instead of ponds that die out in the summer heat. or freeze out over the winter. I'm done ranting. Thanks  Strippnthedream for getting my heart going. All you folks out there have a great day!         
Whiptail
Pete's Tackle Shop

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:14 AM »
TU and the BPA are who the tribe is trying to get money from to do this. It's really about money. The tribe makes nothing if they go the route of FWP, they get millions if they go with the TU route from both TU and the BPA. It's a no brainer that they(the tribe) are going to go the money route not the conservation route but nobody really cares all that much who doesn't fish Flathead lake for lakers. So you have FWP on one side with a few fishermen and women who actually care about the fishery and you have the tribe who all they need to do is flash the dollar signs and the entire rez population will vote with them. I'll give you three guesses how this is going to turn out if more of the general population of Montana doesn't start caring about this....

Offline IcemCF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:19 AM »
I respectfully disagree, removing lake trout would have enormous effects on both the lake trout population and the bull trout population. Removal of lake trout will cause there to be an excess of food for the remaining lake trout which in turn would create faster growth and larger potential size for the remaining lake trout. At the same time, removing large quantities of lake trout would help to bolster bull trout populations by decreasing juvenile competition between the two species. While we all have the right to our own opinion, we also have to think about the tribe.  They have been playing ball with FWP for many years, however, FWP will not budge on their stance on the lake and its issues. As far as the suppression goes, by catch would be minimal for all species besides whitefish. Historically the most angler hours per day were when the kokanee  fishery was at its best, and bull trout numbers were still booming. I for one do not understand the appeal of lake trout, they fight like a log being pulled off the bottom and they have higher mercury concentrations due to their longevity. TU has done some great things in this state, and the tribe has first rights to the lake and have been very cooperative.  The tribe gets BPA money no matter what as that is the deal since the dam went in.  I find it interesting that all government entities (FWS, USFS, USGS) are on the side of the tribe besides FWP, and depending on who takes Vashero's old job FWP may take a new stance.  I too grew up here in the Flathead, I long for the days of old when a nice bull trout could be caught out of the rivers, or the lake every trip there.  The fight bull trout put up is exciting! Have a great day all. 

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:28 AM »
Ice, please show us where this isn't being driven by $$.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Yes, the tribe gets BPA money but they get a ton more if they run a suppression program vs. the static amount they get now to just do maintenance. The difference between all those govt. agencies and FWP is that FWP is a state agency and the rest are all federal. Last time all those federal agencies decided to do something against FWP's will we got wolves introduced into our state.

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:33 AM »
If the goal is to get Flathead back to a historical species standpoint... why would the reservation not be touting the removal of Kerr Dam? Drop the lake level and go back to "natural, historical" flows. My guess is the answer to this question is $$$. Next year when the tribe takes total control of the dam they will be one of the richest tribes in the country. As others stated, I don't think this is about anything more than money---

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:36 AM »
If the goal is to get Flathead back to a historical species standpoint... why would the reservation not be touting the removal of Kerr Dam? Drop the lake level and go back to "natural, historical" flows. My guess is the answer to this question is $$$. Next year when the tribe takes total control of the dam they will be one of the richest tribes in the country. As others stated, I don't think this is about anything more than money---

Exactly 100% correct! This is really about them double and triple dipping the money pot. They get the revenue from Kerr, the money from BPA for lake water quality maintenance, the money from BPA to run a lake trout suppression program, and money from TU to do the same. The tribe isn't stupid, they know who butters their bread.

Offline IcemCF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:47 AM »
I don't think I understand the question Mfish, BPA has to give the tribe and FWP mitigation money each year regardless of whether there is a suppression effort going on or not. The tribe has already said they are planning on using their mitigation money from the dam to fund suppression efforts. Private entities may give more support to the tribe (TU), but I don't see why that is a bad thing. There are millions of research projects going on around the US and we don't get up in arms about them being strictly for the money.  This is just a cause that some private companies agree with, and have decided to help fund.  The tribe is not going to have a check written out to them to spend on whatever they want.  Plus a lot of this type of funding comes from research grants.  Again this is just my opinion, hope you all have a great day.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2014, 01:09 PM »
You say,
There are millions of research projects going on around the US and we don't get up in arms about them being strictly for the money.
This isn't just a "research project". What the "Tribe" is doing is destroying a great fishery, that was created in the first place by USFWS, and FWP! They created it! I and my children enjoyed it. We no longer do because of "The Tribe". The bottom line for me is that "The Tribe" is ruining a resource that I had made a part of my family's life in the Outdoors. To say that it breaks my heart is an understatement. If I can find a way to battle what they want to do I will, but it seems to me that not that many really care.  >:(

Offline IcemCF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2014, 01:59 PM »
Sra,
I understand where you are coming from and I respect your opinion, but just because there is a change that is going to be made doesn't mean that you and your family cannot still enjoy it.  If this were to work, you will be able to take your children cutthroat and bull trout fishing, and you will still be able to catch lake trout as well... Where else in the contiguous US can you take your family and by chance catch a large adfluveal bull trout and cutthroat in the same place so close to home? You are correct it isn't just a research project, I was using research projects as an example. I think there are a lot of people who care, I just think that there are two different sides and its hard to make everybody happy. For me, I have photographs and memories of my relatives and myself catching large bull trout in this watershed. However if things continue the way they were those photographs and memories would fade and those people that enjoyed the resource when it was a productive bull trout and cutthroat fishery will loose a unique fishery that they really cared about. I too find it heartbreaking but because I cannot go and enjoy the resource that I had made part of my life. We are never going to restore it to it's natural state, but we can try to give bull trout and cutthroat a chance by removing a proportion of the lake trout population.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2014, 02:13 PM »
BPA has to give the tribe and FWP mitigation money each year regardless of whether there is a suppression effort going on or not.

true but they get MORE money if they do suppression

The tribe has already said they are planning on using their mitigation money from the dam to fund suppression efforts.

Yes, and the more extensive the suppression is the greater the amount they are allowed to ask for from the BPA and the more money they will be able to get from TU. They are triple dipping the pot, that is greed not stewardship of a fishery.

Private entities may give more support to the tribe (TU), but I don't see why that is a bad thing.

It's not if those private entities say "we will fund your project with the same amount of money either way, we just want to enhance the resource", but they aren't doing that. They are using their money to drive an agenda that isn't in the best interest of the fishery and public of Montana. It enhances their personal wishes for what a small group of people would like to see happen to that fishery.

There are millions of research projects going on around the US and we don't get up in arms about them being strictly for the money.  This is just a cause that some private companies agree with, and have decided to help fund. 

1.) This isn't a research project, it's an established resource enjoyed by and belonging to the people of Montana, and 2.) the reason people don't get up in arms about most privately funded research is that it isn't taking something valuable away from the many and replacing it with something that is only valuable to a few.

The tribe is not going to have a check written out to them to spend on whatever they want. 

Exactly, they are being given the money based on a condition of helping the few with their agenda without taking into consideration the existing enjoyment of the many. If you do that to a judge or congressman it's called a bribe.

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2014, 02:19 PM »
Guys lol, even in they post a no limit to lake trout and no size limit, we will only put a dent in their population.  Lake Trout dominate Flathead.  Don't worry, there will still be plenty around and always will be.  They can't get rid of them

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2014, 03:17 PM »
Guys lol, even in they post a no limit to lake trout and no size limit, we will only put a dent in their population.  Lake Trout dominate Flathead.  Don't worry, there will still be plenty around and always will be.  They can't get rid of them

From the article, "He [Barry Hanson, CSKT] said the tribes are almost finished with a study that would pave the way to remove up to 75 percent of the mature lake trout using nets and other angler tools."

Sounds like more than a dent.

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2014, 05:03 PM »
Having been an Alaska gillnetter, I can just hear the excuses and the flap-jaw when the lake trout nets bring up dead, mature Bull Trout spawners. When gillnetting salmon we would frequently haul big steelhead. A few we could save, but most were dead. How will that be justified when there are so few spawning Bulls now? Maturity rate is about the same as lakers so they will be removing a portion of the very 10-25 year old reproductive base they hope to protect. Gill nets are not known to be selective. I'm aware that this isn't part of the discussion right now, but rest assured that it's going to be pushed again. We will surely know what the slot fish change impact will be in a few years. One of the comments that made sense to me was that these bigger fish also cannibalize their own, thus fewer small lakers. Difficult topic..........

Offline whiptail

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2014, 07:46 PM »
I got this E-mail today and it falls right in line with whats going on Jim Vashero said if they put in Gill Nets the by catch would be 7 lake white fish to every lake trout and that means when we get ice in the bays or if by Flathead froze over it would be a waste to fish it because we not aloud to target Bull trout.

Gents:

As you know, Mark Delray is the Acting Regional Biologist. He is anti-gill netting of Flathead Lake. Don't know where he stands on Noxon.

Flathead Wildlife had a meeting tonight. In the after meeting discussions, Vashro said that TU and CSKT asked be on the selection committee for Jim's replacement. Jim Satterfield will chair the selection committee and be the deciding officer.

Helena has already suggested that TU and CSKT be on the selection committee. We know they will never select Mark.

So Vashro recommends that we offer our services to sit on the selection committee. They probably cannot refuse us if TU and Tribe guys are offered a seat.

This must be done very quickly. Like an email in next day or two.

Flathead Wildlife will recommend our president, Bill Matthews or Chuck Hunt. I cannot serve.

I suggest that Flathead WU and the Noxon Warm Water Association also offer volunteers to serve on the selection committee. We need strong anti-gill netting folks. Perhaps Senator Fielder would servce.

Again, time is of the essence.

We need to play the same game as Tribe and TU

The offer email or letter should explain how you cooperate with FWP, represent a diversity of R-1 anglers and have a keen interest in fisheries management. 

Warren

Whiptail
Pete's Tackle Shop

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2014, 08:39 PM »
All I know is that I started Pete's Tackle on flies I tied for Flathead Lakers Now this past year sales on trolling stuff was almost nill. I feel there destroying not just Flathead but all waters leading in or out to the Columbia river drainage and as fisher men we should be up in arms on how they manage our fisheries. I talked to Jim Vashero before he retired and he asked me who the Pres of Flathead Walleyes unlimited was and I told him. Then asked why and he wanted to solicit funds for improving accesses. I ask why do you always ask for money from a group that your trying to destroy there  fish that they like to eat and fish for. Then I asked why don't you get some other group like TU to fund that and he said they will not and they never have. Now I have followed and spoke out on the first management plan and found that TU is funding the tribe. Now we have groups that help enhance and we have groups that destroy in the name of preservation. now I also ask why destroy Flathead fisheries?If they do this they will soon be after what you enjoy to fish for. Now we have Pond here in Kalispell for planted trout for the kids and we have lakes and rivers that  only experts can catch fish and they have to spend hours teaching a kid how to catch fish in these waters. Now I learned how to fish on lakes and stream here and had so much fun as a child and then a young man to where i am now. If anything the FWP should be enhancing our fisheries and so we can take our kids to lakes instead of ponds that die out in the summer heat. or freeze out over the winter. I'm done ranting. Thanks  Strippnthedream for getting my heart going. All you folks out there have a great day!       

I won't comment on most of the substance here, but I will say Jim Vashero deserves more credit for his management than you are giving him.  He and his staff are in a VERY difficult position, an IMPOSSIBLE position because no matter what they do, someone will complain that they made the wrong choice.  I would say that we have MANY lakes with strong, healthy fish populations.  City parks are certainly not the only place to take a kid fishing.  You want more walleye, other guys want lakers, others want kokes, others want crappie, perch, northern, bull trout, rainbows, cutts, brookies, sm bass, lm bass........it's endless. 

Overall we have pretty good fisheries in Montana and I think FWP does a pretty good job, despite all the flack they take from fishermen.  It takes a lot of balls for Vashero to stand toe-to-toe against the tribe on the mgt of Flathead, you can BET that he got some SERIOUS political heat and fallout from standing his ground and you should at least respect he and his staff for it.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:05 AM »
I am going to try to stay as much out of the politics of this issue.....but from a "native" point of view..not mine....the tribe has poisoned 100 yr old willow trees and replanted cottonwood and other native species....so  yes.. if they have a financial reason to try to bring something to the native state...they will do this ten times fold....of course they won't mess with the dam....that's where the per capita comes from....I am a white man....many who posts here on this site are generation white men..... much respect to those of you who have seen this fishery throughout their life...but the bottem line is that this is res land....and how horrible it may seem to many of you...they are doing a much better job managing it than 20 to 40 yrs ago.......

Offline whiptail

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:08 AM »
I won't comment on most of the substance here, but I will say Jim Vashero deserves more credit for his management than you are giving him.  He and his staff are in a VERY difficult position, an IMPOSSIBLE position because no matter what they do, someone will complain that they made the wrong choice.  I would say that we have MANY lakes with strong, healthy fish populations.  City parks are certainly not the only place to take a kid fishing.  You want more walleye, other guys want lakers, others want kokes, others want crappie, perch, northern, bull trout, rainbows, cutts, brookies, sm bass, lm bass........it's endless.

Overall we have pretty good fisheries in Montana and I think FWP does a pretty good job, despite all the flack they take from fishermen.  It takes a lot of balls for Vashero to stand toe-to-toe against the tribe on the mgt of Flathead, you can BET that he got some SERIOUS political heat and fallout from standing his ground and you should at least respect he and his staff for it.

All I wanted is for our fwp( region one)  to manage what we already have in the region one. Limits on all game fish. listen to the people and not organizations. We are there pay check and they have forgotten that. Vashero did good by standing his ground on flathead but I feel it was he saw what the future of Flathead was from the data he has and it is bleak.
I got this E-mail today and it falls right in line with whats going on Jim Vashero said if they put in Gill Nets the by catch would be 7 lake white fish to every lake trout and that means when we get ice in the bays or if by Flathead froze over it would be a waste to fish it because we not aloud to target Bull trout.

Whiptail
Gents:

As you know, Mark Delray is the Acting Regional Biologist. He is anti-gill netting of Flathead Lake. Don't know where he stands on Noxon.

Flathead Wildlife had a meeting tonight. In the after meeting discussions, Vashro said that TU and CSKT asked be on the selection committee for Jim's replacement. Jim Satterfield will chair the selection committee and be the deciding officer.

Helena has already suggested that TU and CSKT be on the selection committee. We know they will never select Mark.

So Vashro recommends that we offer our services to sit on the selection committee. They probably cannot refuse us if TU and Tribe guys are offered a seat.

This must be done very quickly. Like an email in next day or two.

Flathead Wildlife will recommend our president, Bill Matthews or Chuck Hunt. I cannot serve.

I suggest that Flathead WU and the Noxon Warm Water Association also offer volunteers to serve on the selection committee. We need strong anti-gill netting folks. Perhaps Senator Fielder would servce.

Again, time is of the essence.

We need to play the same game as Tribe and TU

The offer email or letter should explain how you cooperate with FWP, represent a diversity of R-1 anglers and have a keen interest in fisheries management.

Warren
Whiptail
Pete's Tackle Shop

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:22 AM »
Having been an Alaska gillnetter, I can just hear the excuses and the flap-jaw when the lake trout nets bring up dead, mature Bull Trout spawners. When gillnetting salmon we would frequently haul big steelhead. A few we could save, but most were dead. How will that be justified when there are so few spawning Bulls now? Maturity rate is about the same as lakers so they will be removing a portion of the very 10-25 year old reproductive base they hope to protect. Gill nets are not known to be selective. I'm aware that this isn't part of the discussion right now, but rest assured that it's going to be pushed again. We will surely know what the slot fish change impact will be in a few years. One of the comments that made sense to me was that these bigger fish also cannibalize their own, thus fewer small lakers. Difficult topic..........

I grew up gill netting until I left Finland for the states to join the Marines. My whole growing up years that was what we used to supply our family with fish for our table. We ate very little other meat than fish, moose, and rabbit. In fact I can remember having pork exactly twice prior to coming to the US. No matter what the tribe says, gillnets are not selective. I know because if they were, my Dad would have only targeted ling and we tended our nets every few hours through the day and night or took them out when we couldn't because in Finland you have to eat everything you catch that dies and pretty much everything dies within minutes of being caught unless it is lucky enough to get its head all the way through so it can still breath. We ate a lot of fish we didn't care for so much but it beat eating nothing and we had tons of motivation to be selective in what we caught and kept but a gillnet doesn't give you that flexibility. It simply kills nearly everything that swims through it and having hole sizes making it more selective is a giant myth. The only thing hole size does is let really small stuff through, the nets catch and kill tons of fish that are too big to get there heads in the holes, they just get wrapped up in the net itself and die.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:37 AM »
Flathead Lake will NEVER return to the state it was in pre-mysis shrimp.  Ask every biologist that has been involved in the studies over the last 4 decades.

The Mysis changed EVERYTHING and the lake will NEVER be what is was. Go talk to (or read the multitude of papers he has published) Jack Stanford at the FLBS...trying to make Flathead what is was (and make no mistake, that is TU's and the Tribes stated goal) prior to the 1980's "unintended" introduction of Mysis is a bridge to nowhere.

There is no known way to eliminate Mysis therefore the food web won't be changed, the lakers will always be there.  The fishery WILL change, as noted in the tribes adopted intention to eliminate 75% of all lake trout 8 years and older, and 90% of all 14 years and older, but once it stops, it goes right back to the way it is. Millions and miliions spent.

Oh, and I am sure everyone heard the news, on Thursday our FWP commission approved eliminating the slot and the one fish over 36" reg on the south end. Basically stating it supports the tribes authority to do what it wants on "their" portion of the lake.

Folks, we have been talking about this for the last 5 years.  The anglers have not shown up for this fight.  The charter guys have basically even given up  There is one last opportunity before this new management plan that the Tribe has adopted, and our state has been forced to accept, goes into effect. One more public comment period...and if 5,000 people don't speak out against it (and I am not sure even that many will matter) it's over...gill nets go in, lake trout, whitefish, and everything else comes out.

Most of you know I have been leading this charge here on IS as well as locally for years.  Writing editorials, talking about it on radio and TV, going to the meetings, meeting with the tribe...several others also took up the fight over the last couple years (Andy, Herb and others)  Now the same thing faces Noxon, and other waterways.  The politics of native VS non-native are nasty, and financed by those with DEEP pockets. I just don't see how this goes any other way at this point. THREE PEOPLE SHOWED UP AT THE LAST MEETING TO SPEAK OUT AGAINST THE SLOT LIMIT BEING LIFTED.

Sorry to be such a downer but I am tired and defeated...I make my living on this lake and I will be out there every day watching it get destroyed. Gill nets are NOT the answer..

If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:56 AM »
Most of you know I have been leading this charge here on IS as well as locally for years.  Writing editorials, talking about it on radio and TV, going to the meetings, meeting with the tribe...several others also took up the fight over the last couple years (Andy, Herb and others)  Now the same thing faces Noxon, and other waterways.  The politics of native VS non-native are nasty, and financed by those with DEEP pockets. I just don't see how this goes any other way at this point. THREE PEOPLE SHOWED UP AT THE LAST MEETING TO SPEAK OUT AGAINST THE SLOT LIMIT BEING LIFTED.

Sorry to be such a downer but I am tired and defeated...I make my living on this lake and I will be out there every day watching it get destroyed. Gill nets are NOT the answer..

No matter what anyone says about your positions, your work and dedication to stand up and be heard and to spend so much time and energy fighting to encourage others to make themselves heard should be applauded, it is the basis of what makes a democracy work.  Unfortunately, you are correct, most sportsmen are apathetic and would rather complain on message boards or in the coffee shop than take actual, meaningful action :'(

It's just tough because the process wears everyday working people down and ultimately, it is likely that a lot of issues have pre-determined outcomes from the beginning and agencies/organizations allow public process only to appease NEPA requirements. 

The sad truth is that, given our current judicial and NEPA processes, the only truly effective way to 'get your way' is via judicial action and lawsuits.  The environmental groups figured this out a long, long time ago and this is why our forests are in disrepair and the ESA has been taken hostage in many cases.  Actual issues don't matter in the judicial process, the process is what matters and environmental orgs and their lawyers have made a living figuring out how to nit-pick the process and get their way via technicalities.  Sad state of affairs.

This is a broader issue, but it is something that needs to be dealt with if we are ever going to have effective resource mgt in this country and especially in the west.

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:28 PM »
Flathead Lake will NEVER return to the state it was in pre-mysis shrimp. 

Mike, you are exactly correct.
The "pooch is screwed" It's time to move on and take advantage of & cultivate what we have.

From what I understand, the Superior Whitefish make up the largest bio mass in the lake. Gill netting
will crush them as well.
Get bit!

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:47 PM »
The real disturbing issue for me is that Independent Scientific Review Panel (ISRP) does not indorse the CSKT report submitted.  They found false statements and false figures which were used in previous reports.  They have failed to rectify or correct the report since another corrected report has not been submitted to ISRP as of yet.

These reports and actions are first to be approved by the ISRP before any action is to take place, yet they have somehow managed to circumvent the protocol required by the Federal Government.  The ISRP is there to prevent disasters like this from happening but when the Federal and State Representatives just sit back and refuse to enforce the law, well we are pretty well doomed.

I thought FWP had the advantage of taking this to the Governor and requesting a moratorium on any action until the ISRP recommendations are final but that has yet to happen.  Maybe not.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline UncleFarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:52 PM »
No matter what anyone says about your positions, your work and dedication to stand up and be heard and to spend so much time and energy fighting to encourage others to make themselves heard should be applauded, it is the basis of what makes a democracy work.  Unfortunately, you are correct, most sportsmen are apathetic and would rather complain on message boards or in the coffee shop than take actual, meaningful action :'(

It's just tough because the process wears everyday working people down and ultimately, it is likely that a lot of issues have pre-determined outcomes from the beginning and agencies/organizations allow public process only to appease NEPA requirements. 

The sad truth is that, given our current judicial and NEPA processes, the only truly effective way to 'get your way' is via judicial action and lawsuits.  The environmental groups figured this out a long, long time ago and this is why our forests are in disrepair and the ESA has been taken hostage in many cases.  Actual issues don't matter in the judicial process, the process is what matters and environmental orgs and their lawyers have made a living figuring out how to nit-pick the process and get their way via technicalities.  Sad state of affairs.

This is a broader issue, but it is something that needs to be dealt with if we are ever going to have effective resource mgt in this country and especially in the west.

I spent almost an entire legislative session up on Capitol Hill here in Helena and I have to say that you are correct about the lack of grass-roots organization and action. Even when a group Can get together and overcome its in-fighting in order to focus on a common goal, I find that many of the decisions made are made behind closed doors and the outcomes are decided by those who are paid to fight (lobbyists) instead of those with personal interests in the matter. Dont get me wrong,that the deck is stacked and the game rigged is no reason to stop fighting, IMO. I just have to identify closely with those who have been exhausted by fighting the good fight in the face of limitless special-interest money and those who pretend to listen to the public when in fact they had no intention whatsoever to do anything but take a payoff, either politically or monetarily. I should just erase and not post this, but I truly know what it is like to believe one can make a difference and do the right thing only to be ignored
:tipup: Helena Hand-Auger :tipup:

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:05 PM »
With a little bit of money, after they are elected, they kinda remind me of this.

wish you many hook-ups

Offline UncleFarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:14 PM »
Hahahaha! Right?!? It's like we get a case of political beer goggles! Luckily, we live in America where we can get rid of the yayhoos and start over with someone new. Unfortunately, it appears that those who have the system rigged in their favor are going to hold tight to that and anyone who gets elected and doesn't play ball with them is also gotten rid of. Checks and balances, accountability, transparency, and Scrutiny are our best weapons and we should hold more feet to the fire. Proverbially speaking, Of Course  ;)
:tipup: Helena Hand-Auger :tipup:

Offline SLIMMETT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:21 PM »
Interesting reading the various points of view here.  I support any and all efforts to increase Bulltrout and cutthroat populations in Flathead lake, even if it means reducing Lake Trout populations.  With the productive tributaries of the Flathead which contain both Cutthroat and Bull Trout, recovery for both of these NATIVE species could happen.  There aren't many native fisheries left in Montana, if you really want to target Lake Trout and Walleye you still have plenty of options.

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:57 PM »
Interesting reading the various points of view here.  I support any and all efforts to increase Bulltrout and cutthroat populations in Flathead lake, even if it means reducing Lake Trout populations.  With the productive tributaries of the Flathead which contain both Cutthroat and Bull Trout, recovery for both of these NATIVE species could happen.  There aren't many native fisheries left in Montana, if you really want to target Lake Trout and Walleye you still have plenty of options.

Im with SLIMMETT on this.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.