The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: marcum vs. vexilar  (Read 6612 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: marcum vs. vexilar
« Reply #30 on: Dec 11, 2012, 07:12 PM »
I like the Mrcum units better because of the following reasons: cheaper prices when comparing models with same options, better target seperation, more power, great customer service, and last but not least MADE IN USA! 

Offline Hydro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 11, 2012, 07:34 PM »
The deeper the water, the narrower (8 degree) cone angle will keep the meat of the beam where it matters, where the fish that can see your lure are.  In shallower water, the wider beam (20 degree) will show you, again, the fish that are in play.

In case of shallow, real weedy areas, then the narrow beam can eliminate a lot of the clutter that keeps you from seeing your jig, but you might not see that fish 5 feet away until it moves in closer...

Like a garden hose, narrow beam puts all the power in one small area, opening it up spreads it out a little...

Bottom line, unless you fish ONE lake, at one depth, ALL the time...you want a dual beam transducer.

Now I get it, the dual beam lets you choose whether to use an 8 degree beam or a 20 degree beam.  Thanks PerchAssualt - good info.

The round - style flashers seem very popular - are there any advantages of the classic round-style flasher over the Showdown? 

Does anyone have a link to a good article on the different types of ice-fishing sonar and advantages/disadvantages?  Thanks!

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 11, 2012, 11:49 PM »
The round - style flashers seem very popular - are there any advantages of the classic round-style flasher over the Showdown? 

Does anyone have a link to a good article on the different types of ice-fishing sonar and advantages/disadvantages?  Thanks!

The "classic" flashers can be used in extremely low temps. without being affected. The newer lcd sonars have a design flaw in that when it is EXTREMELY cold the lcd screen has a tendency to have a lag. The movements on the screen can be a bit behind what is actually going on under the ice. (you would notice it when jigging) In newer models, Marcum has built a screen heater into them to aid in this problem but I'm not sure if it helps much. I have no first hand knowledge of how they work. Just what people have told me.

Personally, I think the showdown looks great and will probably be my future spare for my friends or gf. But for myself to personally use, nothing will replace my LX-5 anytime soon.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 12, 2012, 10:02 AM »
I'm doing my best to save up and buy an LX-5 for this season. If I do manage to pull it off I will post a review. I have never used one before so it will be a complete newby's review of how it worked for me.

FWIW I have decided to go with the Marcum when I do get enough money to buy for the following reasons: cheaper prices when compared to Vexilar models with similar options, better target separation, more power, made in the US. But as I have never used any flasher before on the ice I am simply going off the specs, online reviews of them and in store side by side comparason yesterday so I may be completely wrong but I feel given the info I have I am making the best decision for me that I can. Let's hope I am right, it is a lot of money to spending on something so unfamiliar to me.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 12, 2012, 10:27 AM »
I have the lx 5 and I have no complaints at all.  If you've never had a flasher though the lx 1 is great and the lx 3 is probably what I would have gotten instead.  There are definitly a few more bells and whistle on the five but the 3 would also make for a great unit and you can save some $$$
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline AyrshireBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lucky to go
« Reply #35 on: Dec 12, 2012, 10:34 AM »
Take a kid fishing!

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2012, 12:51 PM »
I have a humminbird 45, love it, not that the other one's aren't just as good or better.  The biggest reason I bought humminbird was that I heard the other brands get a lot of interference from other sonars if you are too close, please correct me if I'm wrong vex and marcum owners, I don't want to spread false information if it is, but no problems with mine in that regard.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2012, 02:43 PM »
The Vexilars have interference rejection.   But if you are running two inside a shack or there's a few around, you'll get clutter and see flashes. 

I ran my two MarCums side by side all day this past saturday, I raised the IR to 5 on my LX-6 and never had an issue the rest of the day.

Offline Fishin Friesz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2012, 04:55 PM »
I love my Marcum vx-1 pro!!! Totally changes the way I fish

Offline RYANO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 13, 2012, 03:54 PM »
I prefer the Marcum. The target seperation is a bit better. And I also enjoy being able to adjust the zoom rather than only being locked on the bottom.

Offline sunnyslope

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:46 PM »
what is weird is everyone seems to have had a couple of these and i cant find a single used one?  you would think they would be everywhere.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #41 on: Dec 13, 2012, 09:33 PM »
The 'birds run a slightly different frequency than the Vex and Marcums, thats why you don't get the interference.  The Marcum IR is patented and really works to block out any interference from another Vex or another Marcum...The Vex owner however, gets blown out by the Marcum. Your finder still works, you just get some flashes and moving marks that are distracting, but you can still get full capability out of the machine...
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline theling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 14, 2012, 01:10 AM »
HI, anyone know of someone with good but used ice fish finder unit they'd like to sell? Vex, Mar, Hum bird, lowrance etc....? thanks TL

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #43 on: Dec 14, 2012, 10:49 AM »
HI, anyone know of someone with good but used ice fish finder unit they'd like to sell? Vex, Mar, Hum bird, lowrance etc....? thanks TL

Mine might be showing up on CL soon.  Marcum LX-3tc...used 1.5 seasons very lightly.  Less than 10 charge cycles on it.  I love this unit, but I'm kind of a gear junky and "need" to try new stuff.
  BE THERE!

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 14, 2012, 12:38 PM »
My lx6 just took a crap, 3rd outing. 

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 14, 2012, 02:08 PM »
My lx6 just took a crap, 3rd outing.

What!?!  What happened?  That was what I was looking at trying out...or the LX-7.
  BE THERE!

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 14, 2012, 02:42 PM »
It would just shut down, battery read 12.3 on my meter, kept doing it over and over... Magically started working again 

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 14, 2012, 02:57 PM »
Do you like the size of that screen, or wish it was a bit bigger like the 7?  I wanted to see if the flasher dial is similar in size to a regular mechanical flasher dial.
  BE THERE!

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 14, 2012, 04:28 PM »
It's real close. Doesn't feel small at all

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 23, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Watt's says it all…and made in MN
TED NUGENT for PRESIDENT!

Offline TightlineMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 24, 2012, 02:39 AM »
Found a great deal last spring on a Vex 22 tri beam ultra-pack. Will be getting it out right after the New Year. Amazing how much cheaper flashers are late winter/spring... if you can wait... but lots of models tend to sell out, so it can be a crap shoot.

I tracked soviet subs from S-3 Vikings with Sonobuoys (almost exclusively passive sonar) in the Navy, so hoping i can figure and tweak this Vex out. Would love to compare this one to a LX-5 side by side on the ice. Not yet sold on the new lcd screens when it is 20 below out.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 24, 2012, 07:36 AM »
They work fine at -15

Offline elk hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 24, 2012, 09:55 AM »
Marcum also has amazing customer service.......
If the elk aren't bugling.    I am fishing

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #53 on: Dec 24, 2012, 10:37 AM »

gimme the bird
 :nono:
:thumbsup:
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Dec 24, 2012, 11:00 AM »

I Would love to compare this one to a LX-5 side by side on the ice.
I have and I prefer the 5

Not yet sold on the new lcd screens when it is 20 below out.
LX-7 has a screen heater built in and turns on automatically at a preset temperature (not sure what that temp is though)

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline TightlineMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 24, 2012, 03:42 PM »

So how adverse is the impact to battery life when the screen heater is on? Anybody have a chance to run these when the heater is on and gauged battery drain?

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #56 on: Dec 24, 2012, 04:20 PM »
So how adverse is the impact to battery life when the screen heater is on? Anybody have a chance to run these when the heater is on and gauged battery drain?

It's more of a warmer that keeps the liquid more viscus.  I have an Ice Troller 2.0 and it has the option to turn it off but in the manual it stated that the battery drain in minimal as it only heats it enough to keep the fluid slightly warm so that you will get instant reaction with out any lag time.

Jay

P.S.  For ~$270 out the door for the Troller, performance pack, and a battery you have a awesome little portable fish finder.  I used it more this last weekend than my Vexilar and it was 1/2 the price.  Not going to get rid of the Vex but I'll be using both quite often.
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #57 on: Dec 24, 2012, 07:54 PM »
HenryC...check the battery connection...mine did that when I put the cable back in the case a couple times...the pos connector was a little loose...once I tightened it, it never did it again...

Mike
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline yoteslayer31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 24, 2012, 08:17 PM »
I love my LX-6.  The other day I had some sunflower seeds and when the fishing was dead and I dropped seed down the hole.  Not the whole shell and seed, just the seed.  I am not joking when I tell you it showed up as it sank.  I could not believe it so i tried three more times and each time it worked.  I never adjusted the sensitivity and the beam was at 20 degrees.  I am sure the (fill in the blank) could do the same if not better but thought I would share...

Bill
v/r
Bill

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 24, 2012, 08:21 PM »
My 5 will show an ash off my cigarett, no comaprison IMO between the LX-5 and any vex...Like stated the Marcums are made in MN in the USA not imported...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.