The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New Icefishing Rod  (Read 2864 times)

Offline pistolpete

• IceShanty Rookie
New Icefishing Rod
« on: Mar 02, 2011, 12:09 PM »
I'm Thinking of getting a new icefishing rod and Im not sure what type I should get so any advice would be helpful!!???

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New Icefishing Rod
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2011, 01:02 PM »
My next rod is going to be one of those old style Swish rods. 

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im on the ice right now, or wishing i was
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2011, 02:04 PM »
What kind of fish are you targeting? Are u in a shanty or out side?
Every one can go fishing, " not every one can catch fish

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2011, 03:37 PM »
How about those rods the Canada ice fishing team uses!! ;D :roflmao:

give us some more info or your leaving yourself wide open. ::)
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2011, 09:11 AM »
My wife got me a 28" jason mitchell "walleye" rod.  I have probably 10 ice rods ranging from poo to okay to good.  That rod is fantastic.  I have strike indicators on all my others because they lack sensitivity.  That thing is soooo sensitive.  I can feel the lightest bites. 
Great rod, I would recommend it highly, look in cabelas.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline pistolpete

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2011, 10:15 AM »
I dont use a shanty and I mainly go for bass, perch, whitefish, peamouths, pretty much anything around the flathead valley

Offline pistolpete

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2011, 11:19 AM »
My wife got me a 28" jason mitchell "walleye" rod.  I have probably 10 ice rods ranging from poo to okay to good.  That rod is fantastic.  I have strike indicators on all my others because they lack sensitivity.  That thing is soooo sensitive.  I can feel the lightest bites.  
Great rod, I would recommend it highly, look in cabelas.
thanks that sounds like a good rod

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2011, 12:12 PM »
Keep and eye on full sized spinning or casting rods that are on sale. I make all my rods out of full sized rods that I have cut down. Cut off the handle, take a rasp and clean out the inside of the handle and then take the top half of the rod and cut it where you want and epoxy it into the handle. It's not complicated and that way you get the exact length you want. There are a few more steps here and there but you usually can make a great rod this way.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2011, 12:17 PM »
Keep and eye on full sized spinning or casting rods that are on sale. I make all my rods out of full sized rods that I have cut down. Cut off the handle, take a rasp and clean out the inside of the handle and then take the top half of the rod and cut it where you want and epoxy it into the handle. It's not complicated and that way you get the exact length you want. There are a few more steps here and there but you usually can make a great rod this way.

I have done this same thing, a lot of times you can find rods that aren't great as casting rods but have a good usable end section that works awesome for ice fishing. I just look for rods on sale for cheap anytime I am in a store that stocks fishing stuff. Even Walmart will have some sometimes that will work. It's a cheap way to get good ice fishing rods.

Offline Mr.GoldyEye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2011, 12:30 PM »
For the fishing you do, you have to run to Snappys and get a Perch Assault rod, just ask anyone there to help you and they'll get it.  It's a great rod for small panfish, but it's got enough backbone to hook set deep water or for big fish.  It's my favorite all-around rod.  Trust me you won't be disappointed.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2011, 12:31 PM »
Making them from scratch is still the best way to go. You can buy blanks for less than $5.00 and make then any length you wish, buy different handles and the best part is you can use any size guides and as few or many as needed.
I have make a number of rods just for ice fishing and have yet to find a store bought one that is close.

Offline IceDipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If the hat is missin'....I've gone fishin'
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2011, 12:39 PM »
Thorne Brothers  ;D

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Making them from scratch is still the best way to go. You can buy blanks for less than $5.00 and make then any length you wish, buy different handles and the best part is you can use any size guides and as few or many as needed.
I have make a number of rods just for ice fishing and have yet to find a store bought one that is close.

Where are you getting your rods and supplies from? I'd love to build some of my own.

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2011, 02:33 PM »
St. Croix Legond for all the light biting fish and the Perch Assault will handle all the others
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2011, 02:51 PM »
Snappy's just got some more Perch Assault rods in today...And even the lightest bites dont need a spring bobber.  Run don't walk because they will more than likely sell those last few with the Bitteroot Bash this weekend. 
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2011, 04:42 PM »
Depends on what your fishing for...I personally love the ugly stick ice for trout.  There sensitive enough to feel the bites but also super durable.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2011, 09:32 PM »
Where are you getting your rods and supplies from? I'd love to build some of my own.

I get my blanks for this place
http://www.schneidersrods.com/ice_fishing_items.htm
My sons favorite is the m-sfg-50 cut to 35" (including handle). Very light great for perch but strong enough for 8 pound rainbow on the east side.
I like the m-sfg-32 and do not run the blank all the way to the back of the handle, still have a 35" pole.
The "corkalon" rod grip works great but have to slide an aluminum tube in handle first then epoxy blank in it to keep the handle stiff.
This place has everything else ya need. http://www.acidrod.com/fly_guides.html  
I use the Seymo single foot fly guides.
These are the tip/tops http://www.acidrod.com/fly_tops.html I use the black chrome large loop.
The guides work great and very seldom ice up. I'll grab my camera and post some photos tomorrow

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2011, 09:34 PM »
I love my new Perch Assault Series rods.  I have 6 of them. 2 spooled with 6#, 2 spooled with 4# test, and the last 2 will be spooled with 2# test on one spool and 4# test/1# diameter braid.  I have the money to get my last 2 reels and they will be Pflueger Trion GX20's.  The best reel for the money in my opinion.

For an example I fished the Snappy's Lake Mary Ronan derby I caught my limit of koke's and 40 perch on a day then many people caught no fish of just very few.  You could see the fish both barely move the rod tip down or see the tip move up when the weight was just barely moved up cause a fish sucked up the jig.  I am looking forward to next years models to get a couple of the shorter rods as 42" is just a touch too long to work well in a shack.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline RAM1961

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2011, 08:38 AM »
I have no idea what brand I use - they are ice fishing rods.  Bought three brand new at B&B (Fred Meyer) in Polson in 1980 for $4 each.  Even got green stamps for my purchase.. ;D

I just broke one of those three rods two weeks ago...bummer..... :(

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2011, 08:43 AM »
St. Croix Legond for all the light biting fish and the Perch Assault will handle all the others
quiet keep those rods a secret
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2011, 05:34 PM »
Has anyone got to test the Jason Mitchell spring bobber rods vs. St. Croix Legend rods?  They are around the same price, but how do they compare?  Seems like the two wires on the Jason Mitchell might snag something and bend.
  BE THERE!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2011, 10:02 AM »
I REALLY liked that JM spring bobber rod...but it didn't last.  You can buy those same type of spring bobbers and put on any rod...but I didn't save the packaging on mine and can't remember the name.

I got some at Cabellas a year or two ago, but its not a real famous name.  Seems like they make boat equipment and such, but these are great spring bobbers, they make like 6 different weights.

Anyone know the name???
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline pistolpete

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2011, 08:00 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas guys

Offline perchSlayer95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team montana fishing team
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2011, 10:47 AM »
get the perch assault rod . . . sold at snappys sport center

sittin here waitin on a flag drinkin beer and wastin propane

Offline CRA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 09, 2011, 10:37 PM »
swish rods are the way to go for perch.

Offline Jberg440

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 10, 2011, 06:37 AM »
I've always had awesome luck with St. Croix rods. I just bought two more from bob wards at 40% off.
The man banging on the door yelled "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms"... I just assumed it was more supplies.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #26 on: Mar 10, 2011, 09:20 PM »
I have taken the St Croix legend spring bobber and modified a couple rods to accept it at a much lesser cost...but at 40% off, I'll have the real thing please ;D

But that is an awesome spring bobber set up...

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 13, 2011, 09:02 PM »
This is what you can catch with a home made rod. Makes it seem even better when you made it your self. Oh by the way  7 pounds, 24".

Offline Firstholer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 13, 2011, 09:32 PM »
I just bought a couple Perch Assault 42" rods from snappys, have used a couple weeks. love them.Use 4 pd test. Sportsman has some good ice rods, I stay away from the real flexible short ones, and , good for any ice fishing for the type of fishing you said you do.  They have another rod that has a colored tip that I saw on the ice lately that is also outstanding according to useravail at snappys but probably avail at Sportsman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.