The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hell creek  (Read 6442 times)

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hell creek
« on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:57 PM »
Has any been out to hell creek lately if so does clint still have sucker minnows.Reason i'm asking is i am going on Feb.12th and not coming back till the folowing saturday. And how was the ice and fishing heard you need to shorten your line because of trees in the water.any info will help.

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline rabbet79

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hell creek
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2011, 12:02 PM »
I bet Clint has minnows, last year he was driving all the way to Reed point to catch minnows, he is a businessman.

Offline YETI_MILK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2011, 02:55 PM »
where is hell creek is it a lake or reservoir?
Whats do you drink on the ice? I like beer. any advise is greatly appreciated

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2011, 04:09 PM »
where is hell creek is it a lake or reservoir?

Hell Creek Bay of Fort Peck Reservoir @ Hell Creek State Park.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline YETI_MILK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2011, 04:13 PM »
thanks. I heard fort peck is dangerous, guys go in gas pockets under the ice. i stuill want to fishthere one day.
Whats do you drink on the ice? I like beer. any advise is greatly appreciated

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2011, 04:18 PM »
Peck is no more dangerous than any other lake.  All ice deserves your respect and knowledge as an outdoors-man to keep you and your companions safe.  I was there 2 weeks ago with my wife and we had a great time even though the fishing was slower than we hoped.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Offline Soulfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2011, 04:19 PM »
Are trout stocked their? I asked in the other thred and have no answers to my questions? I like fishing with corn for trout  :tipup:
Trout..yummy..yummy fer my tummy...

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:32 PM »
Are trout stocked their? I asked in the other thred and have no answers to my questions? I like fishing with corn for trout  :tipup:

Look up Fort Peck on the MT FWP website and it will tell you all the species in the lake.  It can also tell you the lakes that do carry trout in them and where you can fish with "corn".

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Offline Soulfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:39 PM »
@ Jay..  Thank you for the info sir  ;D Minnesota newbie here and appreciate the advize  :tipup:

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:45 PM »
no one has been there in the last week?????????????

-MudbuM Boys

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:49 PM »
Just call Clint @ Hell Creek Marina.  He'll give ya the straight dope.  I've even had him tell me not to come if the fishing was bad.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:59 PM »
already did just to hear from people that have been there

-MudbuM Boys

Offline DLakermovedWest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:28 PM »
I think anyone that asks for info should be required to post info after a trip. ;D

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2011, 08:42 PM »
You got it dude

-MudbuM Boys

Offline boatswain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2011, 12:06 AM »
wish i could have reported on our trip for earlier this week but it was cancelled. sorry guys

Offline hooker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2011, 10:03 AM »
got eight of us going out next week . will try to get full report when back on sunday. slayed northerns last year but then the weather dropped to 28 below and everything shut down. looks like we're gonna have pretty good weather this year.

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2011, 06:20 PM »
are you guys gonna stay in the motel

-MudbuM Boys

Offline hooker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2011, 12:13 PM »
ya we are staying in the motel. should be there around noon the 16th

Offline jake.adelman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2011, 02:57 PM »
Fished Hell Creek this weekend, third point out towards the main lake; lots of perch but hardly any pike or walleye.  Ice was good first day and then it got way to warm.  We ended up packing up early on sunday because the ice conditions got scary (2-3 inches of water on top).  First trip to Peck, will be heading back second week of march if the ice is still holding up.  Oh and Clint just got back from Billings with a bunch of fresh minnows so you should be set.

Offline Soulfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2011, 03:05 PM »
any trouts?  :tipup: trying this year to get a lunker this year by the end of the hardwater season  :tipup:

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2011, 04:08 PM »
any trouts?  :tipup: trying this year to get a lunker this year by the end of the hardwater season  :tipup:

The only trout you will find in Fort Peck is Lake Trout.  There are rainbows and browns below the dam but the lake is mostly a warm water fishery (pike, walleye, perch, smallmouth bass, sauger) with lake trout and chinook salmon that inhabit the deeper cold water.

How big of a trout are you looking to catch?  The best large trout fishing through the ice is going to be the lakes on the Blackfeet Indian Reservation.  The best large trout ice fishing in South West Montana is Canyon Ferry.  Lots of 3-5 pound fish brought through the ice there.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2011, 06:21 PM »
Went up there last monday thru thursday 7th/10th. We had to break trail by the ranchhouse on the road in. The county guys bladed it down the next day.

Didn't even fish the bay. Went out on the main lake right away. Ice was really good. 11 inches on the main lake. Was really cold on monday night/ tuesday morning.  minus 24 to 30 below. The fishing was ok the first couple of days. All we caught were gators and 2 saugers and 1 walleye. The weather started warming up and the walleyes started biting better and we did real good wednesday and thursday. One guy caught  a chubby gator @ 19lbs. The fish was not overly long and barely fit through an 8 inch hole. The next day the same guy caught a 30inch walleye off of a different point. We caught plenty of eater sized fish in 12 to 30 feet of water. Using tip ups.

We also caught 1 ling and 1 catfish. No lake trout.

No corn for trout on this lake..... use tip ups and minnows and very large line. I was breaking 40lb test dacron.

The ice is probably different than it was last week. This lake changes so much in so little time any time of year. As we were leaving on thursday an ice heave formed up and wasn't there just a couple hours before. Also if you don't like the sound of ice cracking from popping a hole or pulling up on a 4 wheeler to a spot and feeling the ice rumble don't even bother fishin ft peck.

Thank you to the guys who cancelled. I got to stay in a cabin all three nites without having to haul a camper down that steep road.

A bunch of minnesotans showed up wednesday night and all they fished was the bay. We were the only ones catching walleye and the only ones on the main lake.

Clint charges 7 bucks a dozen for minnows, so haul your own if you want to save money there. But please do buy some things from him as he always treats everyone well. It is crazy that he drives all the way to Billings to get minnows though. ;D

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2011, 09:54 PM »
just got back from our trip fishing was good 40 fish at about 200lbs biggest northern was 19lbs and biggest walleye was 8+pounds ice good everywhere but watch out for cracks around bebe there is some big ones with some holes about the size of the four wheeler and also I caught a 9+lb laker with a messed up back the spine makes a huge S kurve behind the dorsal any question just post em

-MudbuM Boys

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2011, 10:49 PM »
did you go out to the main lake?  we will be there tues afternoon and usually fish out towards sutherland.  Sounds like the ice has healed but any reports are appreciated.    I will call clint or deb tomorrow just to make sure but this cold snap should make it solid.
l

Offline fishermike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2011, 09:13 AM »
Rambo. Where were you fishing? We will be in hell creek this afternoon through Friday and are wondering if anyone is having any luck in the bay or do we have to in clear to Sutherland like last year? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you  :tipup:

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2011, 09:20 AM »
i don't know if I would go to sutherland because last week clint stuck his front end of his pickup twice do to a pressure ridge and large cracks if you are going anywhere by a point go out far away and check the ice first

-MudbuM Boys

Offline fishermike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 21, 2011, 10:54 AM »
How far is bebe from the marina? Suppose to be well below.zero not sure I want to travel too far on.a four.wheeler

Offline DLakermovedWest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2011, 11:08 AM »
It's about six miles as I recall.

He's right, things change quickly out there. The ice cracks can be scary especially when they freeze up an inch and you get a little snow cover. As said running a four wheeler right along the shore is also a bad idea normally.

Offline walleye_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 21, 2011, 11:46 AM »
Hey Rambo,
Glad to hear you made it back to GF safe. The road between Jordan and Mile City was bad yesterday. I was the one next to you at the Motel with my dad. Congrats on all the fish ya caught. We ended up with about 20.
For the ones going fishing soon, the ice for us was rock solid in the Bay. We fished over by boy scout point. Biggest gator was 11.2 pounds and also caught a few walleye and perch. People next to us also did real well on pike. Only lost 2 lines this time due to willows under the ice. Good Luck fishin to all of ya. Wish I could get out again. Do be safe if headed out towards the main lake though. Pressure Ridges are out there and cracks.. Pike and perch fishin is real good in the Bay and also a few walleye at night can be caught.  Later :tipup: ;D

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 21, 2011, 11:47 AM »
it took probably a half hour and wasn't to bad of a drive as long as you have wind proof gear but make sure you folow the trail if it is still there some new guys didn't and went through the ice along shore.also almost all 24 flags were up with most of them having fish on them

-MudbuM Boys

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.