The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Newlan Res??  (Read 2821 times)

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
Newlan Res??
« on: Dec 29, 2009, 09:53 AM »
Wondering if anyone had been down to or had any luck on Newlan Res... ??? :tipup:
TED NUGENT for PRESIDENT!

Offline justintee15

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Newlan Res??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:12 PM »
Dont know. Is ling fishing any good through the ice there? Only fished it in the summer. Thanks

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2009, 12:01 AM »
i have never personally fished it in the winter but have some buddies that swear by it. they catch some really nice ling there through the ice! hope that helps. im going to give it a go with them this winter, pretty excited!

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2009, 05:48 PM »
Dont know. Is ling fishing any good through the ice there? Only fished it in the summer. Thanks

I here they kill the ling there at night...up to 35 incher's in past seasons.  That's enough to get me out on that ice!

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2009, 05:51 PM »
i have never personally fished it in the winter but have some buddies that swear by it. they catch some really nice ling there through the ice! hope that helps. im going to give it a go with them this winter, pretty excited!

What I've heard as well....any size to the ones your buddies have caught.  I've heard 35" ones coming through the ice....or maybe its' the inflated fishing story.... :tipup:

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:57 PM »

What other species have you caught when you have fished there? :tipup:

Offline fisherman_chuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2010, 09:15 PM »
What side of the lake would one fish for ling at down next to the damn or at the mouth of the creek or in the middle?

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2010, 01:24 AM »
i dont know where to fish on the lake at all. never seen the thing just have buddies who like to hit it up for ling. the same kids been trying to pry me off the couch to go. had knee surgery yesterday and not movin so fast. we are going to try and head up there before school starts up again next week. ill let you guys know where we go if my leg starts feeling better.

Offline deadeyerik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2010, 10:05 PM »
Is there an Ice fishing derby on Newlan?

Offline RustyWaterDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2010, 10:27 PM »
Yes, it is on Feb. 14th. I will be there will you.

Offline deadeyerik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:56 PM »
I'm trying to go to Fort Peck then. If I don't go there though it is a good chance I'll come to the derby. Have you ever fished the derby before?

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:11 PM »
A buddy and I were thinking about camping up there and fishing. Are the hilly billys a worry during the winter?

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2010, 11:33 AM »
A buddy and I were thinking about camping up there and fishing. Are the hilly billys a worry during the winter?
Never had a problem in the Belts or anywhere for that matter... :tipup:
Z

Offline Bareback Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2010, 12:58 PM »
Who are you implying as hillbilly?

You start addressing pepole like that and someone will take offence.

I have had more trouble with out of towners than I have had with locals,please post a report when you get back.

BBJ

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:42 PM »
BBJ,
I really didn't think about fishin247's post that way at first; but agreed & come to think of it the only time I seen buddies of mine get flack from anyone, it's been outsiders & outta stater's.  I guess I assumed he was a local like us.... :tipup: :tipup:
Z

Offline Merc440

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:14 PM »
Caught two small ling sunday night. The most people i have ever seen on the lake beside during the derby. Looks like most were after the ling, not where they normally are during the derby. Talked to two other parties and the word was "slow".

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:30 PM »
Didn't mean to offend anyone. The hilly billys are a gang of WSS people that steal stuff from campers during the summer on the weekends. No problems except for the over night campers getting stuff stolen. They don't get into confrontations, they sneak around at night.  And am I a local from WSS, no, MT born and raised though.

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:40 PM »
Also, part of the reason I like to icefish is that you don't have the same sense of community out open water fishing. Ice fisherman are way friendlier than anyone else. My question was more or less if we went up and camped overnight would we have anything to worry about.

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:55 PM »
Wouldn't think so at all!  I camp all over the little Belts with no problems.  I'm always ready for whatever because in this day and age you never can tell.  I'd have to agree with ya on the friendliness of ice fisherman... :tipup:
Z

Offline deadeyerik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2010, 05:28 PM »
Where can I find info about the derby? how and when to sign up and so on. I'm thinking of taking the Queen to the White sulfur springs motel the night before and after for V day.

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2010, 07:04 PM »
Deadeyerik,
Here's the link that'll take you right to all the 2010 Ice/Open water derbies through the rest of the year... :tipup:

Z

http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/guide/contests/default.html

Offline deadeyerik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2010, 10:21 PM »
Thanx Iceman.

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2010, 11:01 PM »