The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: CF, Holding Res, Hauser...?  (Read 6104 times)

Offline fishinforpigs

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: CF, Holding Res, Hauser...?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 09, 2009, 04:38 PM »
Powerful fish magnets is right, and I believe that we have succeeded in catching 90% of the perch in the lake. They keep seeming to get bigger though, so I figure why move. The old man did fish off of white earth a little ways today and said that he caught some slabs. Limited in an hour and a half. I will have to get more details, but there might be a new "spot"

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #31 on: Feb 09, 2009, 05:18 PM »
sweet,  next time out we'll hafta fish together.  I'd of come over on Sat. but I didn't want to take the ATV that wasn't mine.  I was going to call you for a ride later in the day after D. went to a basketball game, but only had your dads number and didn't want to impose.  I'll send you a PM with my number. call next time your headed out on a weekend.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline ah gee bobba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 10, 2009, 03:15 PM »
fishinforpigs,  How was the ice at white earth? Thinking of heading north of there on Friday and don't want lose the four wheeler.

Offline fishinforpigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2009, 03:57 PM »
The old man said that it was still pretty solid, at least 16 inches of good ice. He road his ATV right from white earth out to the main lake and then went south from there. Not sure how the ice is North of white earth, but I would imagine you would be safe for quite a ways as people were fishing down around semetary island just last weekend

Offline ah gee bobba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 10, 2009, 04:06 PM »
The old man said that it was still pretty solid, at least 16 inches of good ice. He road his ATV right from white earth out to the main lake and then went south from there. Not sure how the ice is North of white earth, but I would imagine you would be safe for quite a ways as people were fishing down around semetary island just last weekend
Fishinforpigs, Thanks, I think I'll give it a go.

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
« Reply #35 on: Feb 10, 2009, 04:25 PM »
Try boiling them perch, walleye, pike and ling.  It is quick, healthy and easy to clean up.  A little melted garlic butter and lemon or lime juice is the perfect topping.

Also some guys are boiling their fillets in Sprite or 7 Up.

Just put your fillets in the boiling liquid until they float.  Usually under  2 mins.  A real taste treat.

Give a man a fish,  he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish,  he sits all day on the ice drinking beer.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #36 on: Feb 10, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Try boiling them perch, walleye, pike and ling.  It is quick, healthy and easy to clean up.  A little melted garlic butter and lemon or lime juice is the perfect topping.

Also some guys are boiling their fillets in Sprite or 7 Up.

Just put your fillets in the boiling liquid until they float.  Usually under  2 mins.  A real taste treat.
sounds great, and easy, I'll give it a try.

Also, Neptune... The fish tacos sound great too. can't wait mmmmm.  love fish tacos.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 13, 2009, 09:25 AM »
going out to try hauser tonight, womans got to go to a meeting in helena.  Since Im there I was thinking of trying the holding res tomorrow despite the poor reports, unless someone else has a better recommendation.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #38 on: Feb 13, 2009, 10:01 AM »
going out to try hauser tonight, womans got to go to a meeting in helena.  Since Im there I was thinking of trying the holding res tomorrow despite the poor reports, unless someone else has a better recommendation.
You can go down to Spring Meadow on Sat. and experience what its like to fall through the ice... Safely... Its the annual "passion" plunge, loads of crazy people jumping into the lake.  No worries though, search and rescue divers will be on hand.  ;D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 13, 2009, 11:11 AM »
One final feeler..
nothing like putting things off till the last minute but thats kind of how I live my life so....
Hows the ice on Hauser.  good I hope.  Going to try for eyes tonight in the causeway arm.  I heard some good things from Kwil and Flyfish but anybody else out there got some pointers.  I heard to get out there a bit and thats probably what we will do.  Just looking for any pointers before I go
thanks and tight lines

Offline Blacksandybum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 13, 2009, 01:13 PM »
Fished the Causeway arm last Saturday (2/7) cuaght some nice perch and a small walleye.  I was bouncing a jiggin rapala tipped with a maggot off the bottom.  Ice was 18' where we fished some open water near the Causeway and near the north shoreline after the powerlines if you are headed towards the shale beds and  White Sandy.

Offline Bowhunter4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's always somethin'
« Reply #41 on: Feb 13, 2009, 05:40 PM »
Has the causeway been any good for perch. I havent heard very many good reports.  :tipup: :tipup:
Rooney

Offline ah gee bobba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 13, 2009, 08:43 PM »
What a beautiful day for fishing.  Went west of white earth a couple of miles to fish.  Got four nice bows, and had alot of bites, they where just barely hitting the jigs.  Everyone have a good weekend.  If anyone is hitting the holding reservoir, please give a report.  Thanks.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 14, 2009, 09:02 PM »
ah gee bobba,
hit the holding res for a bit today.  Sounds like nobody is really doing anything out there to speak of.  We go one very large kokanee, Id say least a pound, pound and a half maybe bigger about 16 inches solid fish but that was it.  We were marking tons of fish but we couldn't get much going.  we were out in front of the point by the dam about 40 fow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 14, 2009, 09:09 PM »
Guess I could have posted this too...
Tried to fish the walleye Friday night to no avail.  Didn't do anything the whole night with exception to my wifes one trout and another bite she missed.  We fished black sandy this morning for trout and did real well.  Got 7-8 real nice ones and one dink and had three break off and a few misses thrown in there as well.  We got some real pigs.  I don't fish it much but was pretty impressed.  If I can figure it out I'll post some pics.
Finally we fished the holding res this afternoon like I had posted before.

Offline ah gee bobba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 15, 2009, 08:54 PM »
Thanks Fishwithbrittanies.  If you are making the fish at the reservoir, then that is better than I have done.  I usually get the Kokes on a glow hook with a flasher about a foot above the hook, or a swedish pimple.  I use maggots and white corn.  What were you using?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 15, 2009, 10:09 PM »
I actually didn't get the koke, my buddy did but he was using the same get up with plain old maggots.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.