Author Topic: time to change  (Read 2484 times)

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
time to change
« on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:25 PM »
People are catching fish in many different depths of water. Every one is wondering where they have gone. I say they are under the ice. I'm think'in you have to put it right in front of their nose right now to catch fish. I yusto drill and move. It looks like that might the way to go. Up until a couple years ago, if I drilled a hole and didn't mark a fish, I wouldn't fish that hole. Then I started fishing with some guys that set tip-ups and I changed the way I fished. I haven't used my my fish finder in 4 or 5 years now. Maybe it's time to dust it off and start to run and gun again. 
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Offline iceman4667

• Team IceShanty Regular
time to change
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:47 PM »
I fished deep creek yesterday all day, must have punched 30+ holes and never marked a fish. Keep on punchen

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
time to change
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:07 PM »
I fished deep creek yesterday all day, must have punched 30+ holes and never marked a fish. Keep on punchen
  I once read in a magazine "holes, holes, and more holes". drill on my man drill on.

Offline Rockfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
time to change
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2009, 10:56 AM »
They definately are on the move. Several times I had nothing going on for hours then had action for a 1/2 hour and then blah.  I was curious how people are doing shallower since I tend to the deep. That way I at least avoid pike cause I hate retying leaders for my rigs.  Think the next time I go up there I'll try McHenry.  Would love to get into some nice gills and it sounds like you can still pick up some walleye around thereabouts

Offline jbscrazies

• Team IceShanty Regular
time to change
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2009, 12:05 PM »
Rock,
We fished shallow last weekend 8-12 fow and primarily fished 25+ fow the weekend before.  We caught more fish in the 8-17ft range.  Hardly any action in the deeper water.  Curious..any luck with the chubby darters this past weekend?  I used a jiggin rap a good bit and couldn't get any takers.  Had some lookers but that was as far as it got.  Buddy of mine jigged up a keeper walleye and a jumbo perch Friday evening using a chubby darter in about 10ft.

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
time to change
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2009, 08:30 PM »
They definately are on the move. Several times I had nothing going on for hours then had action for a 1/2 hour and then blah.  I was curious how people are doing shallower since I tend to the deep. That way I at least avoid pike cause I hate retying leaders for my rigs.  Think the next time I go up there I'll try McHenry.  Would love to get into some nice gills and it sounds like you can still pick up some walleye around thereabouts
  How deep is deep for ya? I caught a pike in 34' of water this year.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Re: time to change
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2009, 12:28 PM »
Often I cut holes and don't mark fish.  If I know the area is good or there is structure nearby and I have that hunch that the hole will produce, then I'll drop a lure down and see if I can jig in a reaction fish.  If the hole produces, and I've cut more in the area, then I'll check the others too.  If nothing, try a new spot and cut some more. 

Also, sometimes you may be marking fish but aren't recognizing them.  If your transducer is aligned properly and not moving, and the bottom even seems to "wiggle" a tiny bit, then that could be a fish, so when looking for fish, take your time and make sure that your transducer is stable and watch the screen for a few seconds and see what happens.  Actually, if you're marking fish consistently and run into this situation you might not want to take the time unless you know it's a productive spot.  I usually do this when I'm having a hard time marking fish.  It works sometimes when fish are holding very tight to the bottom or are scattered.  Drop a jig down there and see if you can jig them in.

Also, there are times where you might be marking something else thinking that they are fish.  Weeds, stumps, trees, etc. confuse the mix but IMHO those are worth dropping the lure down to check, or better yet, drop your camera down there if you own one and see for yourself.

One more thing, check out any suspended mark with a lure, even just under the ice.  One time I was night fishing for crappie and the fish were suspended 8' over 22' and I was tearing them up.  The school moved off for a bit and I noticed a blip showing up that appeared to be just under the ice.  I at first assumed that it was a false return, daphnia, or perhaps a maggot floating around.  Then it disappeared for awhile.  My school returned and I caught a few more of them and then they left again.  During that last flurry of activity, the blip appeared again, so I looked down the hole and didn't see anything, and again thought it was a mistake.  But this time I said, what the heck, and brought my jig up to the blip (thinking that I was going to take it out of the hole and recharge the glow anyway).  At first nothing happened when I jigged, and I could see my jig about 2' down the hole, but then the blip reacted to my jigging.  A few seconds later I had a bite and missed it.  I still couldn't see the fish down the hole though.  But the blip was there so I kept jigging and it bit again.  Daggone if it wasn't a pretty nice crappie!  I've also caught trout this way since then because I never assume that it's "nothing" until I prove that it's nothing.

Cut lot's of holes when the fish aren't biting.

Now, last time I was out I made a mistake by sitting on a series of holes that were proven to be good spots and not moving around as much as I usually do, and I also caught less fish than I might have otherwise.  I had marked some huge stumps in a productive location, and put all of my eggs in one basket.  My camera confirmed the stumps and looked like very fishy structure indeed, but nobody showed!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2009, 06:48 PM »
Often I cut holes and don't mark fish.  If I know the area is good or there is structure nearby and I have that hunch that the hole will produce, then I'll drop a lure down and see if I can jig in a reaction fish.  If the hole produces, and I've cut more in the area, then I'll check the others too.  If nothing, try a new spot and cut some more. 

Also, sometimes you may be marking fish but aren't recognizing them.  If your transducer is aligned properly and not moving, and the bottom even seems to "wiggle" a tiny bit, then that could be a fish, so when looking for fish, take your time and make sure that your transducer is stable and watch the screen for a few seconds and see what happens.  Actually, if you're marking fish consistently and run into this situation you might not want to take the time unless you know it's a productive spot.  I usually do this when I'm having a hard time marking fish.  It works sometimes when fish are holding very tight to the bottom or are scattered.  Drop a jig down there and see if you can jig them in.

Also, there are times where you might be marking something else thinking that they are fish.  Weeds, stumps, trees, etc. confuse the mix but IMHO those are worth dropping the lure down to check, or better yet, drop your camera down there if you own one and see for yourself.

One more thing, check out any suspended mark with a lure, even just under the ice.  One time I was night fishing for crappie and the fish were suspended 8' over 22' and I was tearing them up.  The school moved off for a bit and I noticed a blip showing up that appeared to be just under the ice.  I at first assumed that it was a false return, daphnia, or perhaps a maggot floating around.  Then it disappeared for awhile.  My school returned and I caught a few more of them and then they left again.  During that last flurry of activity, the blip appeared again, so I looked down the hole and didn't see anything, and again thought it was a mistake.  But this time I said, what the heck, and brought my jig up to the blip (thinking that I was going to take it out of the hole and recharge the glow anyway).  At first nothing happened when I jigged, and I could see my jig about 2' down the hole, but then the blip reacted to my jigging.  A few seconds later I had a bite and missed it.  I still couldn't see the fish down the hole though.  But the blip was there so I kept jigging and it bit again.  Daggone if it wasn't a pretty nice crappie!  I've also caught trout this way since then because I never assume that it's "nothing" until I prove that it's nothing.

Cut lot's of holes when the fish aren't biting.

Now, last time I was out I made a mistake by sitting on a series of holes that were proven to be good spots and not moving around as much as I usually do, and I also caught less fish than I might have otherwise.  I had marked some huge stumps in a productive location, and put all of my eggs in one basket.  My camera confirmed the stumps and looked like very fishy structure indeed, but nobody showed!
  This reminded me of my first fish finder. It was the kind that showed fish shapes. The first time I used it, I was marking all kinds of fish at different levels, but couldn't catch anything. It took me a little while to figure out it was set on demo.

Offline Rockfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2009, 06:06 PM »
You've all given me food for thought.  Since I mainly fish deep (generally 40+) I never tangle with (or see with my camera) pike or bass but I caught my first smallie last weekend on a marmooska and gulp maggot.    I've caught plenty of bass in the shallows around weedbeds and twice have dropped my camera down and as I was adjusting the picture felt a weird tug on the cable and look at the picture to see a pike staring back at me.  I've never gotten a depthfinder (for the ice) but drill in places I know there's structure and drop down the camera, take a look see and start from there preferably if fish are showing or some good looking structure.

In years past I've done pretty well with jigging shad for perch and walleyes but this year after seeing some of the posts in other areas as well as magazine articles about chubby darters I picked up a few and really like them.  Early on I had some days when I wacked perch, took a nice walleye and some smaller ones, and had one cut off by a pig.  This past weekend though I jigged one in hot perch and had some perch come up and peck at it but no takers.  Now as skittish as they are, they come in to look then spook and get out of dodge so I've gone to more finesse small stuff.

I was hoping to come up one more time this weekend but it looks like the weather is going to be a wash so I don't know.  Don't feel like I'm ready to hang it up yet this year.

Offline iceman4667

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2009, 08:39 PM »
Fat boy, i fished deep creek on 2/25/09 and did just what you are talking about move from hole to hole and you are right, i had holes that did not mark fish untill i droped a jig in and they would come off of the bottom.I am useing a x67c from lowrance, and this is my first year for it so its been a learning season

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.