The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip up or Jaw Jacker  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Bitterrocklark

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip up or Jaw Jacker
« on: Nov 23, 2022, 09:14 AM »
I have had good success with trout using the Jawjacker for the last few years. Planning to focus more on pike this winter to mix it up. Should I stick with the tip-ups I have traditionally used for notherns or switch over to the jacker? Most if not all outings will be in northwest MT.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Tip up or Jaw Jacker
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2022, 10:54 AM »
I like tipups for Pike. Typically they come in and grab the bait, run with it, sometimes before it's fully in their mouth. To use the Jawjacker, I'd think you would miss a few if this were to happen. Plus you'd have to find that point on the drag to get a good hookset and allow the fish to run as well.  :-\
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline monk38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2022, 01:08 PM »
tip ups are great for pike, but I have also caught many pike on jaw jacker without an issue.
love the jacker for perch and trout

Offline MontanaFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2022, 01:19 PM »
How i do it..

If targeting Walleyes/Pike: I prefer to use tip ups.
If targeting trout/panfish/etc: I like to focus on using jaw jackers with a couple tip ups further away. 

Just starting out ice fishing: Tip ups
Already own enough tip ups and want to try something new: Jaw Jackers

Long story short, i use a mix of both. Jaw jackers closer to the shack and tip ups further away.

Offline PenguinIII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2022, 12:54 PM »
X2 with iceassin, one other thing to consider when using the JJ for Pike,  if allowed by law in MT is a quick strike rig to make sure the hook (s) find some jaw. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Offline slamber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2022, 02:57 PM »
Jackers work well for pike but you need to use quick-strike rigs or you'll probably miss the hookup. As someone else already said a lot of the time the pike will run with the bait before getting it all the way in their mouth, so if you're only using a single hook the jacker will set and the hook probably won't be in the mouth. Generally my hook-up ratio is higher with jackers than tip-ups and a rod is much easier to deal with that a bunch of tip-up line on the ice. The other nice thing about jackers is that they are usually hooked in the lips/side of the mouth, hardly ever in the throat and never in the gut. Where the jackers really shine is when there's a bunch of brush/branches/rocks for a tip-up line to get tangled in. If you set the reel drag tight enough it will keep the fish up out of the hang-ups after it's hooked but you do have to have your rig set-up correctly or you'll break off fish.

Offline sherlockbones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2022, 01:23 PM »
tip ups for me, feel like I've lost more fish on the jaw jackers... good luck this season

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2022, 11:14 AM »
Ive caught pike on jaw jackers, but had to use a long stout rod and add a extension to the loop on the tip that goes to the trigger because the rod was too long for the standard one.  Use a quick strike rig with two trebles.  Most shorter rods don't have enough backbone to set the hooks because you will usually be hooking them in the front of the mouth which is a lot of bone and takes some pop to get the hooks to stick.  I usually use a tip up with quick strikes and hit them right away and rarely miss them unless they are dinks.

Offline jakediesel1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2022, 03:45 PM »
tip ups hand down for walleye and pike. alot of the times with a jawjacker missing a hookset you also sling your bait off the hook.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2022, 03:55 PM »
Jigging pole in one hand, home  made JJ not far away and 5 tipups set up… ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2022, 07:56 PM »
I don't think that's legal having 7 outfits through the ice unless you have someone with you. Oh , I see that you are in NY.

Ken.......

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2022, 12:09 PM »
If everything is freezing up quick I like tip ups more but honestly have got away from tip ups and use JJ mostly now.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Offline kpoorman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2022, 12:38 PM »
Tip-ups -  It can be tough to hook them with a quick set like the Jackers. That said, you'll save a lot of gut hooks using a jacker
skippin' class to fish

Offline Gone_fishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2022, 12:46 PM »
Tip-ups -  It can be tough to hook them with a quick set like the Jackers. That said, you'll save a lot of gut hooks using a jacker

Do you mean a lot less gut hooks with a jacker? Wouldn't quick set be less likely to end up with gut hooks?

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2022, 12:50 PM »
I think Kpoorman is saying if you use a tip up you run the risk of the fish inhaling the bait making it hard to get the hook out. as apposed to the fast action of the JJ you'll either hook up or clean miss the fish.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Offline Kd_fish406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2022, 05:08 PM »
I prefer tip up over the jacket for pike it allows them to run and eventually eat the bait. I have caught pike on my jacker but definitely lost more than I have caught.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.