New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: my old jiffy ice auger  (Read 18788 times)

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
my old jiffy ice auger
« on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:13 PM »
I bought my jiffy (i think its a model 30 has a white shroud on it) used about 7 years ago. Don't know how long the guy owned it before me but it looked well used & old.  Paid 150 dollars for it and a carb adjustment from the Tinker's and this thing will not die. Every year i look at new ones because i want a lighter one and every year i decide that i can't bring myself to sell my old jiffy. This old bear has been around and has drilled hundreds of holes for me. Just can't believe how impressed i am with it. Anyone else have a good old auger like this??

e

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: my old jiffy ice auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:20 PM »

Yup, old and tough. Had a '54 Jiffy that I used 20+ seasons  when I bought it in '85. I then had a '73 Jiffy that would still be going if a buddy didn't dump it and break the housing. I have a '71 right now that's a beast and I'm sure to get a number of good seasons from it. All 1 arm bandits............... ...... ;D

May actually sell the 10" blade that fit all 3 and run the 8" full time.................. .........

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:21 PM »
Picked up a model 30 this year for 50 bucks...  ;D it didnt run well .. Cleaned and adjusted carb, cleaned spark plug, put a bew fuel diaphram and gasket in .. Painted and sharpened the blade and it cuts 7 inches of ice in seconds.. Love it..

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:31 PM »
my brother handed down his old jiffy lite model 50 (clockwise) that had been setting around for 5 years ++. put a carb kit in and a new blade on it and i cant kill it. get alot of looks when others with newer augers see it run and i kinda laugh and think i've only got $50 bucks in mine. how about u. the old augers might be heavy but there all METAL!! no plastic thats why they last so long.

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline trkyhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:50 PM »
I have a 1973 model thirty that tins and cuts like a dream. Took the nut buster off and made handles.still has the top handle

Yes Virginia....Santa does ice fish

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:00 PM »
Mine is from around '72 or '73, converted from the one armed bandit a couple years ago, and has NEVER failed me.

I'll deal with the weight of the thing, at least I know it's gonna start under any circumstance (and it's been started at colder than minus 40 with no problems except a couple additional pulls). 

It makes at least 50 trips to the ice yearly, probably closer to 70 trips, drills at least 20-25 holes per trip, and will still be running strong when these "new and improved" augers have already been recycled 2-3 times.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline crappietaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:33 PM »
I have one that's probably 18 years old. I still have the same blades and never sharpened them. I've cut hundreds of holes without a problem. BTW ebay has the carb kits for 13.95 and free shipping! I've never heard of anyone blowing an engine on one.

Offline bigsunny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:43 PM »
I have an older strikemaster (10 years old)- I bought for 100 bucks on clearance in June form Fay's Drugs in Watertown when they used to sell tackle.  It starts on the 2nd pull every time.  I drill hundreds of holes each season and it has never failed me.  i was thinking about a new propane one but I hear they are cold starters.  I am never giving it up-one of the best deals i ever got.

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2012, 09:24 PM »
My buddy picked up four carb kits for three bucks a piece for his old Eskimo, same carb thats on the old jiffys, I have two as spares.  They sure are great augers but i am kinda partial to my lightweight laser mag.

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2012, 10:18 PM »
i love my old jiffy too! wish i could get the carb dialed in im going to work on it tomorrow when i hit the ice.......
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:17 AM »
Looking for a reed plate for a Jiffy AV520.  Its a 1966 model.  All the ones I can find are for the newer model's.

Offline BlueGill92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:35 AM »
make one

surflizard

« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:39 AM »

Offline Quantrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waugh!! I have the hair of the BEAR in me!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:48 AM »
My model 30 has cut hundreds of holes and has never failed me.
Still runs like new. :tipup:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Offline Dogwalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:02 AM »
10 years ago my buddy said he had an old auger that I could have. So I stopped by thinking it was a hand auger. Bam! jiffy 30. cleaned the carb and put fresh fuel in and it started up after 3 pulls after not running for 10 years.
Cant bring myself to get a new one when this one starts and runs flawlessly. Just heavy.
I am into Diesel trucks as well and get my
fix on Diesel bombers

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:44 AM »
Cant bring myself to get a new one when this one starts and runs flawlessly. Just heavy.
[/quote]   That's my feelings exactly  ;D This thing just won't die  :)  I guess i can deal with the weight

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:45 AM »
My dad had an old green one-armed bandit for 25 or so years.  He then sold it 20 years ago and its still running strong to this very day.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2012, 10:56 AM »
got my jiffy at joy dept store 30 years ago, for  $ 149 still does the job

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:11 AM »
My Eskimo 8900 was built in '92.  I am the second owner, I've had her for 5 seasons, no problems. Just honed my blades last night after slow drilling last weekend, and ordered a second set to have on hand.  I'll probably replace the old ones and hone them again and keep 'em in the tackle box as backup.  The old 'Mo fires easy and generally cuts ice well.  What do all these old, durable augers have in common?  Tecumseh motors.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2012, 12:27 PM »
1977 after the suicide handle conversion... Still starts and runs great I will never trade her  ;D

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:31 PM »
Question?? The metal tabs that hold the gas tank on are broken to the point that the tank won't stay on when drilling a hole. I have to hold it and thats not working to well but works. Where can i get a shroud cover for it if anyone knows, or any other ideas on how to fix it???

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:33 PM »
1977 after the suicide handle conversion... Still starts and runs great I will never trade her  ;D
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
That thing looks great dude :o : :)

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2012, 05:12 PM »
Well its not the best way but my tank has been held on dy electrical tape for 4 years now

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2012, 05:41 PM »
That thing looks great dude :o : :)
Thanks it was my grandfathers, He bought it new and has been used ever year since. I gave it a new paint job this year. It is so old it doesn't have replaceable blades it has a built in chipper blade that I just run the edge across the grinder once a year!  :)

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2012, 05:21 AM »
yea fishtank  My blade is the same thing the blades are permenant and dont come off for replacement.. I run a file over to try to keep the edge.  Old School machines outdo the new ones like crazy. Like i said before the weight is the only issue. I can deal with that.

Offline Esoxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Certified Bait is ridiclus
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:25 AM »
Jiffy Rulz the problem today is the gas it is terrible.NGK plugs hightest and running it regular.Iam going propane nxt yr.Just want fire it up when needed what ever temp propane is the future here boyz no more mixing fuels or carbs.
Ice Fish only, stricly targeting Esox lucius and Masquinongy, everything else is just bait.

Offline deerslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:27 AM »
Thanks it was my grandfathers, He bought it new and has been used ever year since. I gave it a new paint job this year. It is so old it doesn't have replaceable blades it has a built in chipper blade that I just run the edge across the grinder once a year!  :)
Did you disassemble to paint it, or did you mask off certain areas? I would love to give mine a makeover.

Offline BlueGill92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:48 AM »
Question?? The metal tabs that hold the gas tank on are broken to the point that the tank won't stay on when drilling a hole. I have to hold it and thats not working to well but works. Where can i get a shroud cover for it if anyone knows, or any other ideas on how to fix it???
Mig Weld new tabs on

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:00 AM »
Well mine aint that old, but I guess its just old enough to not be all plastic. (2007 or 2008)

Last of the good ones I guess.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline ADKFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2012, 06:41 PM »
I just acquired one of these older Jiffy 30 augers and had the carb worked on. It runs pretty good now. I got the handle conversion kit and got the throttle control together and installed. I put the spring in the adjusting lever and in the governor vane.  The throttle moves with the new throttle rod and moves the governor vane. However, the governor vane doesn't return to its original position. Any good advice why it doesn't return?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.