Author Topic: Trip booked  (Read 1988 times)

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Trip booked
« on: Sep 10, 2018, 07:00 AM »
Well will be heading to LOW again in late December. Last trip there was memorable. It was in March. We had 57 degrees and water running down our holes. Fish where biting good. Many walleye, Sauger, and Perch. Then the worm turned. 70 mph winds temperature dropped to 7 below zero. Walleye and Sauger still bit. Plus we were able to bring four 3 to 5lb Small Mouth Bass up and out of our holes. A couple of years before in late December we were able to get many slot fish. Hope it is like that again.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Trip booked
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2018, 09:43 PM »
Sounds like a great time.

I knew you would be cruising the site this early.

Fran
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2018, 08:39 AM »
Hi Fran. I am on all year. Hope all is well. May be sending a couple of blades to you soon.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Fonzie2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Very nice.
Good luck on your trip!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2018, 08:38 AM »
Well got back from our semi-annual trip to Lake of the Woods. A usual it was a fun trip. Made it up there in 11.5 hours 3:30pm. Went with Lyon Sleepers again. Met up with our friend Scott at the base camp. He helped load the Bombardier circa 1950's and out we went. We went to 22 fow as Scott decided to set us up there from what he has seen working for Lyon Sleepers and fish being caught. Scott was correct he had put us upon fish. First drop without the vex set up yielded an 18 inch walleye. He said with water clarity that they have been having some success at night. Which is kind of uncommon for LOW. Well we caught a few more Sauger after the first Walleye. And the bite stopped dead at 5:00pm. Fine make food have a couple drinks, play cards. Go to bed. Got up early the next day. It had snowed 8 or so inches over night and with the wind made for white out conditions and tall snow drifts. -12 for a temperature and a wind chill of -20. Made breakfast and coffee. Let my wife sleep in till 7:00am. Got everything cleaned up and and started fishing. Fish from 5 inches up to my wife's 22 inch Walleye were caught. We both lost several ether very high slot fish or trophy's. We sent several fish back to the base camp to package for us and we had a great fish fry that night. Day two started out with several small fish. But that was to change as we caught. Many just under the slot. We kept a few for them to package for us and some to eat for lunch. Dang tasty i tell you. Our final day. Fishing seemed to have its lulls. But we both caught some again real nice fish just under the slot and again we both lost big fish. Ended up with our limits to bring back home. The guys up there said we caught the most fish out of the groups they had there in the same time frame. We went to dinner at Rosalies restaurant. Really good Prime Rib. Just a word about Lyon Sleepers. They have new owners Pat Kane and his wife Amanda. Very nice people even if they are Vikings fans. Scott and Justin have worked for the previous owner Tim Lyon for years. They both know their jobs and how to help you out in any situation. They like to joke around some, which is great because so do i. We put up on their board in the sleeper a GO BEARS! sign. That all that was needed for the Vikings fans in Pat, Amanda and Justin to come out. On our last day we wore our BEARS gear. They showed us Vikings socks and shirts also. Lots of good natured ribbing took place as they came to take us off the ice. As we were getting the truck loaded my wife told them they would probably be burning their Vikings gear at the end of the game or come morning. We were able to pick up the whole game on the way home and the BEARS WON! So my wife texted them a knock knock joke. Knock knock. They answered who's there? DA BEARS! Great trip good fishing and great folks up there. Sitting here at home i am wondering why i still live here in Illinois?
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2018, 09:03 AM »
Welcome back to 35 degrees and rain ! Bet you wish you could have stayed up there. Happy someone from this state was able to get on hard water recently. If it keeps up like this I will spend most of my winter building ice fishing rods instead of fishing.

Offline crayphish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2019, 03:49 PM »
thanks for the report. bums me out that i won't be able to make my ice fishing pilgrimage again this year. tight lines, and let's get some home ice to fish one. OH AND GO BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:08 PM »
Should be some very limited ice to fish by Saturday. I'm going to do my scouting Friday. With the weather forecast it's going to be one of those years. Have to pick and choose your days and be ready to strike when the iron is hot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.