Author Topic: First Prep of the season!  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
First Prep of the season!
« on: Sep 06, 2020, 12:39 PM »
Time for some tent waterproofing.
After 3 seasons I started to get some leaking through the seams in the valley when it would rain.  I used a Starbright product that I believe someone on IS reccomend last year.

We are getting closer!

UPDATED
I just read the fine print on the bottle and saw that it is not for laminated,  backed or laminated fabrics.  I hope this is not a problem.   I believe that the insulated fabric is thermal bonded and not glued.  We will see.  I did not see any immediate issues after it had dried.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: First Prep of the season!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2020, 12:56 PM »
Hard to believe Sept already. The tub on my flipover has a small hole I need to fix.  Better get on it.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2020, 04:33 PM »
I going to put my flashers on the charge, starting up the auger and detailing the sled.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2020, 06:38 PM »
Hopefully I will be placing my order for some new stuff this coming week or the next. once I get the order it will be time to load up all my reels with new line for the year again. also tricking out my one hub house this year with some of the new hub accessories that Clam is introducing this season. between the cooler weather lately and watching ice fishing videos on you tube I am starting to get the itch real bad again. Bring on the ice. goal for me is that I want to be on ice by the Saturday after thanksgiving if mother nature allows it. Flashers have been charged up and are ready to go. would like to possibly get a panoptic system this year but that is not a priority really but would be nice if I can swing it.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2020, 09:06 PM »
I’m going to put my vex’s on the charger, hopefully get a chance to take them out on the boat and do a little jigging with short rods this fall. I’m going to hold off until mid November to get the otter down out of the rafters, maybe.... just out of curiosity what does everyone else do to prep and what is your timeline for prep?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2020, 09:09 PM »
I need to spray my shappell 6500 widehouse with some Kind of waterproof spray.i havent been using it because it leaks pretty bad even with a little snow on top.was waterproof the first 4 years i had it.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2020, 05:27 PM »
Along with re-spooling my reels, checking and re-checking my tackle and other gear, and this...

"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline helimpd124

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2020, 06:38 PM »
I drug my flip over and small sled out and cleaned all the trash out of it. The number of empty 1 lb propane bottles was mind boggling.

Threw the marcum and battery box on the charger and I'm going to respool all my rods soon. Need to get the oil changed on my atv as well before its game time.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2020, 06:17 AM »
Along with re-spooling my reels, checking and re-checking my tackle and other gear, and this...

I have line on reels that has been on them 10+ years. I'll be respooling all my ice reels also. This is a year for that wall-hanger, getting prep for that momment!  ;)
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2020, 06:19 AM »
I drug my flip over and small sled out and cleaned all the trash out of it. The number of empty 1 lb propane bottles was mind boggling.

I bought the Flame King rechargeable system last year and it works well.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2020, 09:05 AM »
Been charging my SLA batteries thru the summer and now its time to start restringing reels.  Have an order coming today, so this will get done the week.  The flipovers are next - making sure that no mice have gotten into them and decide on what tackle I will order.  Looking for some good plastics this year.  Couple sites are starting to load up their websites so that may be awhile yet to decide. 

Weather is starting to change so this only means one thing.  May squeeze in a few fall walleye trips yet, not sure on this, but if we can swing it, should be a good one.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline helimpd124

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 08, 2020, 04:26 PM »
I bought the Flame King rechargeable system last year and it works well.

I want to get that set up. Unfortunately a good portion of the bottles in my sleds were picked up off the ice.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2020, 04:19 PM »
The snowmobile is all clean and polished, draining the old gas and putting in some fresh gas next. Auger all cleaned up, put in some fresh mixed fuel. The auger started right up and sounds good. Flashers all charged up, pretty much started out charged anyway. Ordered new line for nearly all my ice rods. Also ordered a couple of special items to make a scoop holder on the sled, to keep it an hand while run and gunning. Hoping to hit the ice hard this year!

Also ordered Gulp waxies and some Maki plastics if this virus is still an issue...
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #13 on: Sep 25, 2020, 11:01 AM »
Changed the line on two rods yesterday, only six more to go. Paid my Snowmobile Club Dues, Registered the Snowmobile and paid for insurance today, things are starting to come together!  ;D
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2020, 08:58 AM »
Gave the snowmobile trailer the once over, re-registered and inspected. The truck that's doing the towing is inspected and oil change, the plan continues to come together...
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2020, 11:04 AM »
Cleaned my snowmobile carbs last night - still doesn't run  ::)

Got all my lines respooled except my two heavier poles, thinking of switching from a heavier mono to braid this year but still in the debating phase.

Paid my ATV dues, scotchguarded both my shacks (if you don't do this, you should! It's like an oil change for your shanty), lubed all my reels, re-organized all my jigs, just have my tip ups and tip downs to go. Putting in my early season Kenders order next week.

Running out of things to do and we still have a month to go!
Da Pack!

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2020, 11:14 AM »
The itch is real! Been poking around my ice bucket and trying to restrain myself from getting the rods and stuff out; still have elk, deer, and duck gear floating around.

I've had a Strikemaster 40v and a Jet Sled in the shopping cart all week, too, but I'm pretty sure that if I drop the coin on those suckers it'll guarantee a bad ice year...

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2020, 11:20 AM »
Just placed an order online for some more lures.  Stopped into Cabelas to see if they had their ice fishing setup yet - they did, and it looks like all holdover from last year.  Guy said this is about all they are going to do.  Not a good sign. 

Weekend plan is to restring a few rods and get them set up. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2020, 10:39 PM »
My snowmobile engine seized end of last year, so today I pulled the pistons, and the top end needs to go to the machine shop for refurbishing. Not as much fun as buying new gear, but oh well... >:(

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 17, 2020, 08:26 AM »
I am finalizing plans and getting ready to order material for a new 8' X 12" skid shack build, this one will be all metal construction with removable skis on the outside of the frame.

Winter is slipping upon me more quickly than I was prepared for.  We had planned on making one more trip to the cabin for moose hunting before pulling the water pump from the lake and draining the lines, the weather forecast changed that idea, so had to make an unplanned trip up to take care of that. We will be in the winter mode next week with no running water, the docks will be pulled on the way out, the next time in after that will be on snowmobile over the ice.  The picture was taken yesterday morning just before I left the cabin.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2020, 08:44 AM »
Bought some new line for my reels. I need a new seat/chair for my Frabill Recon. Also have been thinking of trying to find a light blue rubber mat for the floor. And I may pick up another Jason Mitchell  Dead Meat rod.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 17, 2020, 09:37 AM »
Relubing tip ups makes them last virtually forever. Lots of videos on doing it right.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 17, 2020, 12:15 PM »
Put my deposit down on my lake of the woods trip, booked lodging for a South Dakota trip. Been through my rods, checking heaters, November 1st I’m going to get the shack’s down out of the rafters and air them out. The prep is half the fun.

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 17, 2020, 05:56 PM »
Waterproofed the shanty.
ATV is ready and waiting.
Picked up a Vex FL-18 (wife gets my FL-8).
Fleet Farm is starting to put ice fishing gear on their shelves.
Need to go thru the tackle bags and replenish before the shelves are bare.
I am sooo ready for the ice.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #24 on: Oct 18, 2020, 05:46 AM »
Few more rods respooled. Modifying my rod holders, we'll see?  Working on the next order also...
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 18, 2020, 11:43 AM »
It's a good thing that I checked my Recon because it needed a slight repair.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #26 on: Oct 18, 2020, 12:13 PM »
It's a good thing that I checked my Recon because it needed a slight repair.

I like threads like this, always get a heads up on something you overlook...
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #27 on: Nov 19, 2020, 08:37 AM »
Received another order

My Meat Stick broke last year, bought a new one, best dead stick I ever had. Fresh Fluoro for it also.
Bought a couple of VMC Tingler Spoons to try out, added Fastachs right away.

Also a couple of the Rapala Ultra Lite Rippin Raps, they reminded me what I found Crappies eating...

A couple couple Dropper Chains to try on a kastmaster or Swedish pimple?
Bought more plastics with covid and all and a Clam Wallet to keep them organized. First impression on the Clam Wallet, the "vinyl" keeper ziploc type bags are pretty flimsy, don't see them lasting at all...

And a Rapala LED UV Pinch Light, we'll see?
  Keep America Godly...

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2020, 09:03 AM »
It's getting closer to fishing - although today is supposed to be near 50 deg here in MN.  I have one more order that is suppose to ship today. 

Glad Bart posted - I forgot that I bought the Fastachs and trebles - need to put those on.  Thanks for the reminder!!

Still have a few rods to string up, so may just wait until the new rod shows up and then do them all at the same time.  Thanksgiving vacation is coming, seems like a good time to do this all.  Batteries are charged, so should be ready.  Time to stare at my tackle and see if I want to arrange again.  Its a struggle

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 19, 2020, 10:07 AM »
I just put some waterproofing on my Clam Bigfoot XL 2000.  Besides the obvious water proofing, i'm hoping this means it will dry out quicker since the water will bead and run off instead of absorbing into the fabric.  Fingers crossed for a mighty cold snap!
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.