Author Topic: trout jigging tips  (Read 8196 times)

dan moore

trout jigging tips
« on: Oct 19, 2002, 04:41 PM »
i need some tips for catching trout on a jig pole.also has anyone ever used the  ice jigging tipup or the slammer tip-up.if so:are they good? i was thinking about purchasing one of them,which ever one works better.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re: trout jigging tips
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2002, 10:42 AM »
Over the years I've done pretty well with airplane jigs tipped with smelt for lake trout. For rainbows I've done well with flash spoons (Kastmasters,etc.) tipped with the tail of a minnow. There are many lures,types of bait,etc. and most work but eventually you will find what works best for your lake and you. Just keep experimenting!
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2002, 05:39 AM »
For lakers in Ontario we use 4" tube with a jig inserted inside and the eye pushed through. Use a big enough jig to get the tube down to your depth. Berkley power tubes in white, and other scented tubes in pearl and white work for us. Use a 2 or 3 foot flurocarbon leader.

Longer poles are great for the big lakers. 3 and 4 foot gives you a little more advantage in the fight. Really helps in Ont because you must use barbless hooks.

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2002, 09:49 AM »
Dan
I  found useing the Kastmaster & the jigging Rapala really works good for me. I also like to work close to the shore line, sometime only a foot or two of water. When the Trout feed in the winter or anytime they feed right along edges.
Always keep your line wet!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2002, 07:32 PM »
I like to use a small silver swedish pimple, but I take the smaller treble hook off and use a single siwash hook.  Then I use squid tenticles and or cooked shrimp to tip the jig off.  It works for me, but I have always thought trout were stupid up north.  Barleydog ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2002, 07:52 AM »
in PA. they winter stock lots of trout i have found that a jig tiped with power bait works well. :'(

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2002, 02:53 PM »
Having a couple different jigs is a good idea. I carry little iceflys, small to large pimples, lead heads, tubes, airplanes. If you carry a couple choices, you have more options to find out what the fish want, be it Lakers or 'Bows. It stinks to be on the ice with everyone catching fish on pimples and yours are in the tackle box at home. Be prepared.

jfacteauq

« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2002, 04:15 PM »
I have had good luck using the 1/12 ounce kastmaster or the small swedish pimple. I take the treble hook off but leave the split ring on and the colored tab, I prefer the red one. Tie a 3" to 5" leader onto the split ring with 4lb test and a small bait hook. Put on a shiner(thru the snout) or whatever works for live bait in your area and slowly jig with it. Even let it come to a rest for a while at the bottom of your jig. It resembles a shiner chasing another shiner. Like anything, nothing works all the time.

Ice_Dog

« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2002, 01:41 PM »
Bucktails, I can't say enough about these.  They are deadly on lake trout.  I use a red and white once and a half bucktail jig tipped with a smelt tail.  Put your line on the bottom and pound the jig up and down several times.  To a laker this looks like a wounded bait fish that can't swim.  The trout can't help himself and goes for it.

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2003, 01:53 AM »
Rainbows,brook,browns-small cleo's,swedish pimples(tipped with a sliver of shiner),kastmasters,small steelhead flies,velvetta cheese under a bobber. Lake Trout- lead head jigs,Gold Kastmasters,Gold (silver)minnow lures: all sweeten with a slice of shiner or sucker meat.
Good Luck- Good Fishing
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Jason pigeun

« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2003, 11:08 AM »
For lakers in Ontario we use 4" tube with a jig inserted inside and the eye pushed through. Use a big enough jig to get the tube down to your depth. Berkley power tubes in white, and other scented tubes in pearl and white work for us. Use a 2 or 3 foot flurocarbon leader.

Longer poles are great for the big lakers. 3 and 4 foot gives you a little more advantage in the fight. Really helps in Ont because you must use barbless hooks.

I been fishing in ontario for lakers for years iv never used a barbless hook AND i dotn think you have to use one.

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2003, 10:48 AM »
what size swedish pimples r good for 'bows,brooks and browns?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

NAD42

« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2003, 04:18 PM »
I jig lakers with a #7 white swedish pimple...period.

Offline jhawkes2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2006, 09:38 PM »
A flasher helps to find them too... from what I hear...

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2006, 01:59 PM »
For Lake Trout I like to use a jigging shad rap. I also use alot of white tubes also. I find that being mobile is a key also. Colours that work best for me are perch, white or anything glow. Also during some times during the winter the trout like to feed heavily on burbot (ling, eelpout, lawyer, whatever u choose to call them) so then I do well sometimes with a dark colour ie, brown-black-gold. Also keep the hook moving, the most common thing I see is someone looking at the sonar and they quit moving the hook when they mark a fish and the fish gets spooked and never hits. As reference to the barbless look thing. It depends on the lake that you fish. Some lakes are single barbless and some are not restricted. Also some do not allow live bait during the winter. Be sure to check into the regulations for the lake you will be fishing. Hope this helps some.

Robin

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2006, 08:41 PM »
Trout are usually pretty easy to fish for in the west, I usually use any type of spoon usually a swetish pimple tipped with a night crawler, but they also hit on night crawlers alone too

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2006, 12:16 AM »
We have great success here in the west (CO) with the same stuff as most of you have said. Gold 1/4 ounce Kasties, white or green/brown tubes/meal worms, and #4 pimples.  Often though the best jig of all is a walleye/panfish jig, a Foxee 1/16 ounce in pearl, yellow or smoke.
Lay it completely on bottom and just bump the slack to twitch it off the bottom.  Catches big browns and good sized perch also.(green for perch)

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2007, 05:00 AM »
hard to beat swedish pimples tipped with smelt tails.
da splake chaser

Offline Frank-Ma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2007, 01:32 PM »
In Mass. I use a #3 Swedish Pimple, Nickle, add a #8 Swish Hook, my bait is mealyworms, euro-larva or moussee
I fish anywhere from 6" from the bottom up, this last Friday 3/9/07, my Buddy's and I ice 6 nice Rainbows and brookies, one off our secrets is we make a bunch of holes and chum with oatmeal.

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2007, 01:44 PM »

I been fishing in ontario for lakers for years iv never used a barbless hook AND i dotn think you have to use one.

i dont think you have to use barbless either... have fished many of lake trout lakes in northern ontario in the Elliot Lake area...

i use a jigging stick...my buddies best later has come on a williams whitefish with hooks in the center of the spoon-no bait.....
mine as come on a blue and silver laker taker swedish pimple
but have taken many on a lil' cleo and kastmaster....

on a dead line i always bait the hook...when i am jigging i never do in northern ontario

have also use a drop line about a foot long with a wide gap hook baited with salted sucker belly strips on the williams

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2007, 04:12 PM »
Just a note..there are a few spots in northwestern ontario where single barbless hooks are the law..One that I know of is Whitefish Bay on Lake of the Woods...Be sure too look into where you are fishing first.

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2007, 06:20 AM »
thats because you guys are so close to the manitoba border where they have to use barbess and some of the lake is actually in manitoba... i could be wrong though...

i am a northern ontario boy and have been fishing there well 30+ years and i think its always been that way where you are lotwfisher

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2007, 09:39 AM »
Ya and Whitefish bay in the winter is also no live bait also. I fish Crow Lake mostly in the winter and there is no lure restrictions.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.