Author Topic: Which Thorne Bros rod?  (Read 6691 times)

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
Which Thorne Bros rod?
« on: Nov 20, 2013, 01:35 PM »
I've been looking at these for a few years but still don't have one. I normally fish for panfish and walleyes, inside and outside. I've always liked the power noodle, but are there others I should be looking into with all their different models? I'm more of a fan of watching the rod instead of "feel" to detect bites. Are the sweethearts worth a look? Probably in the mid 20's for length and light or ultra lite.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Which Thorne Bros rod?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Ya can't go wrong with the Sweetheart series-- I've used a Perch SH for years...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2013, 05:40 PM »
I got a cutom Power Noodle made by them last year. It is a 24" long, with the 5" handle and the stealth titanium guides. Not cheap but is a nice rod. It is light weight, has a very sensitive tip but still has back bone. I also have a 28" panfish sweetheart which is a lightweight stiff panfish rod that could handle a decent walleye if need be and a custom 23" quiverstick which is a light panfish rod.. For a first TB rod the Power Noodle is very popular.

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2013, 05:46 PM »
if your a watching the rod for bites I would highly recommend the spring bobber style. When fish are biting light my buddy and I will spring bobbers generally out fish guys without. 

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2013, 06:57 AM »
How big are your walleyes? The Perch Sweetheart might work well for you. You can add a spring bobber for panfish, and take it off when you use something a little heavier for Walleye. I fish Lake Ontario Walleye up here so I have to go with the MH Walleye Sweetheart, which is too stiff for panfish. Honestly, if you can afford it get a power noodle for pannies, and a Walleye Sweetheart for Walldos.

They also make a rod called the Deadstick, which is designed for exactly what your describing. All of these rods have YouTube videos describing them and their applications very well.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2013, 09:13 AM »
Thanks guys, I've been watching some of the videos. I'm guessing I wouldn't need an add-on spring bobber for a power noodle, but probably would for the others? Walleyes normally aren't huge, but see one or two a year at 20" or more.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2013, 12:54 PM »
The tip is very sensitive on the Power Noodle so a spring bobber is not needed. It will have enough backbone to handle an occassional eye over 20". The thing is there is no one rod that is optimal for every size fish and every lure. The perch sweetheart would be good for walleye and very large perch but be too heavy for normal size panfish with light jig. I would either go with the Power Noodle or the Panfish Sweetheart with a removeable spring bobber about 26"- 28" long. Thorne Rods have a way of multiplying so you will probably end up with more in the future anyway.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2013, 04:41 PM »
Thanks, I know there isn't a do-all just looking for some direction on what the first one should be. I'm also afraid of them multiplying....well not me, but my wallet.... 

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2013, 06:16 AM »
Thorne Rods have a way of multiplying so you will probably end up with more in the future anyway

Yuuuuup! Started with 3 last Winter. 4 more are on their way.

Fished last season with:
28" Quiverstick
30" Perch Sweetheart
32" MH Walleye Sweetheart

Just ordered:
28" Power Noodle
31" Walleye Sweetheart
32" MH Walleye Sweetheart
36" Deadstick

All with outside REC guides, hook keepers, and the same threads. Already thinking about what to order next Fall!
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2013, 06:26 AM »
I got a quiver stick last year and low it. I got it for panfishing and is think I am going to get a power noodle this year so I have a rod for feel an sight I also plan to use the power noodle for deadsticking

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2013, 06:58 AM »
I've been looking at these for a few years but still don't have one. I normally fish for panfish and walleyes, inside and outside. I've always liked the power noodle, but are there others I should be looking into with all their different models? I'm more of a fan of watching the rod instead of "feel" to detect bites. Are the sweethearts worth a look? Probably in the mid 20's for length and light or ultra lite.

You may want to check out Bricker Custom Rods. I've been ice fishing for over 40 years and nothing I've ever used even comes close to comparison. For Panfish you want a Microliner. You can get interchangeable blanks of different thicknesses and length. He won the Mudhole 2014 calendar contest that had over 19k entries. Bricker custom rods on Facebook. He's always creating something crazy and the ice flies he makes POUND the fish. Ill throw up some of his rod pics of his vertical jigging rods. We're pounding deep water perch and gills right now in Northern Indiana.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2013, 02:57 AM »
I agree those are the most beautiful rods I have seen!  However if he is wanting a rod for this season he probably won't see it.
]

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2013, 06:13 AM »

Offline johnnieb71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2013, 12:26 PM »
If you happen to want a Perch Sweetheart you are already a bit behind. I tried to order a stock PS this morning and they are out of stock and awaiting rod blanks. I was told probably 3 weeks of waiting or so. It figures that I finally order a TB rod and they are out of stock.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2013, 01:21 PM »
Guys don't forget about TUCR (Tuned Up custom Rods) they are SWEET too !!!!!

http://www.tunedupcustomrods.com/
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline BS-BARN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2013, 03:56 PM »
InDepthOutdoors has a pretty interesting video on custom ice rods, mainly Thorne Bros. It's worth checking out.

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2013, 04:25 PM »
The poster is asking about the thorne bros rods not other companies.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2013, 06:45 PM »
I have a Perch Sweetheart and love it. It has plenty of backbone if you tangle with something a little bigger.

I was in need of a jigging rod for pike. I called Lonnie at the store and we tossed ideas back and forth. I finally nailed down the rod I wanted. Lonnie said it would be about a three week wait. Bottom line I had it in a week. There is still plenty of time for first ice if you get your order in.

WS

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Sounds good thanks guys! Power noodle is probably on the short list to start along with the sweethearts. Once the fiancee tries it though, there may be another one coming down the pipe...

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2013, 06:01 AM »
I ordered last week and was told 3 weeks. I think last year I waited 4-5 weeks for my builds. Wait much longer and you wont have it until mid season. I'm sure Christmas orders will be piling in pretty regularly from here on out.

My opinion....if you can afford it get both! You will regret it if you get one. Buy the Fiance something nice to smooth it out.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Daiwa Laguna Reels

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2013, 06:42 PM »
There are many great rods out there as good or better than TB at a better price point... Yes I own a couple TB, and my DH rods are just as good or better and so are TUCR, dont keep your options limited to just 1 there are several guys out there making great rods at a decent price...

Offline NB7314

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2013, 07:54 PM »
With the Quiverstick you can feel every bite and if you watch for it you will see it as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.