Author Topic: homemade spoons  (Read 5581 times)

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
homemade spoons
« on: Dec 04, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Was going thru some of my spinnerbait making things and got an idea.  Took #4 willow blades and drilled some holes and made some vertical and horizontal spoons.  I have bucket tested em and have really good vibration....which can be enhanced by further bending them. The bottom one is 2 blades together...produces more rattle flutter with the gap between the blades.  They sure looked like they would catch something while testing in the bucket.

]

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: homemade spoons
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2012, 08:53 PM »
Looking good to me
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2012, 09:29 PM »
Brilliant!  :thumbsup:

They look like they will do the trick.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2012, 07:32 AM »
Really a good idea you got going there. Just a suggestion though. Add a little weight to the back of the spoon on the concave side and low where the hook attaches. This will keep the lure from flipping over while jigging and foul hooking the terminal line with the trebles. Either soldier or those lure dots would work just fine to add some weight.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2012, 07:57 AM »
Look really good!  Let us know how they work, and what you catch.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2012, 09:22 AM »
Pretty slick Ryno ;)
AW

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2012, 11:54 AM »
Those look great. Do you have a weight on them? I have a bunch of spinner blades in various finishes and colors. I will have to try that.

I would think you would want weights around the 1/4oz. to 1/2oz. range.

Along with adjusting the weight I would suggest adding a split ring. That edge where you drilled through should be polished a bit but it would still be an abrasion point for your line. I like stainless split rings. You can usually find them in various sizes. There are even ones in a breakaway style. Jann's Netcraft has a good site for components.

I will have to see about weighting them.

Here is a sample of the ones I have made. I haven't had a chance to try them yet.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2012, 11:57 AM »
Sorry, just noticed the split ring on the one.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2012, 12:53 PM »
Ill use a snap/clip to fasten to these.  I may try playing around with some weight dots but think they will take away from the action.  The bucket test I did was about 30" of water and didn't have any problems with tangling.
]

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2012, 02:00 PM »
Are you using stick on type of weights? i am going to have to look for some of those.

I would not be so much worried about tangling but just getting down to depth faster. I hate waiting for light lures to flutter down to the strike zone. If they want the light stuff not much you can do but if the bite is on I like to get back down quick.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2012, 04:48 PM »
You dont need any weights. The design is called a "willow spoon" and has been around for years and years. Less weight the better. You jig them up a foot or so and then let them fall on slack line, they will flutter as they fall which really brings in the fish. Then when you get a mark, lift it up and jig it like you would a normal spoon and they will smack them. I've been using them for years. I use them in open water also, a couple weeks ago I nailed the crappie on them.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2012, 10:25 PM »
You dont need any weights. The design is called a "willow spoon" and has been around for years and years. Less weight the better. You jig them up a foot or so and then let them fall on slack line, they will flutter as they fall which really brings in the fish. Then when you get a mark, lift it up and jig it like you would a normal spoon and they will smack them. I've been using them for years. I use them in open water also, a couple weeks ago I nailed the crappie on them.

Cool. I am getting antsy for some ice. I noticed I need to tie up some quick strike rigs. I think I am going to do that now and while I am at it I am going to look into making some spoons like those.

I think I will weigh mine just for grins.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2012, 10:36 PM »
Here are what mine look like .

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2012, 11:49 PM »
Just made 3 quick strike rigs and 3 spinner spoons to add to my 2 bottle cap spoons.

All 5 spoons together weighed only 1/4 oz. on my kitchen scale. I am definitely going to pick up some stick on weights to at bring them each up a smidge.

The paint and image on 2 of the blades suffered under the drill bit a little.

I had some glow hooks so I threw those on for kicks.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:10 AM »
those look like they should work. let us know if they produce!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline morbid7980

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2012, 10:27 PM »
THose are Nice I had thought about trying the Colorado Blades before.  What Size hooks are you useing?

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:16 AM »
Great Lures! What is the possibility of make the blades concave and pouring lead in the cavity? We used jig fish on the river where I fish and need weight due to current. The walleyes kill them! Nice work!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2012, 11:15 AM »
I added some Storm SuspenDots to mine. It gave them a bit more weight.

http://www.rapala.com/DOT31/DOT31,default,pd.html?start=27&cgid=storm-hardbaits

With making them from the blades I think you would have trouble bring them up to a much heavier weight without a ton of added weight.

Offline morbid7980

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:08 PM »
Do those Weights stick on the back or you need to glue them?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:18 PM »
Great Lures! What is the possibility of make the blades concave and pouring lead in the cavity? We used jig fish on the river where I fish and need weight due to current. The walleyes kill them! Nice work!

Generally speaking, lead will not stick. Need to use solder.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2013, 01:37 AM »
They are adhesive. No need for glue.

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2013, 10:50 PM »
I recycled some old 17hmr and .44 brass.  One shell (17)gives enough material for 1 willow leaf shaped blade in the size 3 range.  Use a dremel cutoff wheel to take off the primer end, cut lengthwise, draw out a diamond pattern, cut,  drill a hole for the "o" ring and solder a gold size 6 or 4 egg hook with the eye snapped off.  If you want to add a bead, bend back the barb, heat up the hook just enough for the bead to mold it's self on as you thread it on the hook...let it cool and give it a touch of superglue or nail polish for an "eye" look.  Changing up the bend and the amount of solder changes up the action.  You can even score a cross hatch pattern in the brass to give it a scaled look.  Worked great on perch the one day I made it out on Sag Bay last year.
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.