Author Topic: What is the best line for Jigging?  (Read 5475 times)

Offline BrookTroutOnly

• IceShanty Rookie
What is the best line for Jigging?
« on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:57 PM »
Hi I wa sjust wondering what the best line for jigging is. Can I put just regular florocarbon on it or does it have to be cold weather line? Thanks

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: What is the best line for Jigging?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:02 PM »
I'd say depends on the weight of the jig (or size of lure).  Flourocarbon line is useful for light jigs since the line helps to sink.  Flourocarbon is also less stretchy in comparison to your typical nylon monofilament lines.  Sometimes stretch is good, sometimes deeper water presentation makes stretch a bad combination.  Super lines like Fireline or Power Pro offers a virtual no stretch feedback.  It's really good to make your jigs reaction immediately as well as putting power into the hookset. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:42 PM »
If jigging deep with heavy jigs or even 1/4 or 3/8 oz. jigs use braid like Power Pro or Fireline with a florocarbon leader tied with a UNI-KNot and superglued.   

Offline amcmullen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I may be obsessed...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2011, 12:04 AM »
If jigging deep with heavy jigs or even 1/4 or 3/8 oz. jigs use braid like Power Pro or Fireline with a florocarbon leader tied with a UNI-KNot and superglued.   

Heavy must be the key,  I used Fireline crystal one time.  I couldn't fish with it because the coils made it impossible to know where the jig was and I couldn't detect strikes.  This was 100% my fault since it was completely wrong for the type of fishing I mostly do. Light jigs for panfish and small trout.  For this I use 2lb Vanish Flouro. LOVE
I'm cold and I like it

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2011, 04:49 AM »
Fireline is what I have had the best luck with.  We fish in water 30-60 feet deep and the fireline really helps with detecting bites and hookset.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2011, 05:31 AM »
I like Fireline Crystal usually in 4 to 6 lb test.

I jig deep (30 feet or so) for perch, deeper for whitefish, and I want to get a good hook set when I'm fishing that deep.

If you are regularly in shallow water, Mono or Fluorocarbon would be ok.

Wiener

Offline BrookTroutOnly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2011, 05:55 AM »
Thanks, I just bought a new jig pole this year and thought I probably should re-spool it because i don't know how long that line has been on there or what pound test it its. I have some blue cold weather fishing line, but it is only 4 lb test. About how much does fireline cost?

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2011, 06:26 AM »
Fireline is reasonably priced if you remember that you will get a lot more fishing time out of than you will mono.  I also only spool on 50-75 yards or so over mono.  If that blue stuff you have is trilene cold weather, it is ok for backing but I dont like it to fish with.

Offline BrookTroutOnly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2011, 06:37 AM »
yeah its not Triline, I don't exactly remember the name brand of it, its not top of the line. Ill probably buy some fireline. What pound test is best for trout? I thoght maybe 4 but I also want to have something strong in case i get a strike from a bass, I don't want it to break my line. Thanks

Offline loonman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:29 AM »
Whats nice with the fireline is you can run heavier line with a small diameter, 12lb is 4lb diameter. I just put this on my new touge jig rod and I was able to feel 1/4 oz bucktail jigs at 100 ft down last weekend.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2011, 11:13 AM »
That must be some really old Trilene cold weather blue line that they stopped making in blue color for years.  ;D  Now blue is back.

Offline walley29

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2011, 11:16 AM »
I use 6# Chrystal Fireline with a expensive barrel swivel tied on the end with a Palomar knot. Off of that swivel, tie a 18" leader with a snap on the end. I use 6" Lindy Ice line for the leader it is very tough stuff. Make sure you put the line on the right way to eliminate line twist. I have never lost a fish too big with the drag set right including a 12# walleye. Good fishin.

Offline BrookTroutOnly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2011, 11:44 AM »
How does Northland Bionic Ice line compare to Fireline?

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:30 PM »
Heavy must be the key,  I used Fireline crystal one time.  I couldn't fish with it because the coils made it impossible to know where the jig was and I couldn't detect strikes.  This was 100% my fault since it was completely wrong for the type of fishing I mostly do. Light jigs for panfish and small trout.  For this I use 2lb Vanish Flouro. LOVE

My thoughts are that you must have been using too heavy of line for the jig

Offline ICEano

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • work to live, live to fish
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2011, 08:43 AM »
trilene micro-ice , size depends on size if jig and depth

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2011, 04:35 PM »
"Here fishy, fishy!"
"Don't jerk it too hard! You just want to twitch it!"
"You have to go REEAALL Deep, and pull up SLOWLY!"

Is that enough?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2011, 10:27 AM »
Just to be clear I prefer Power Pro over fireline as it is bullet proof and doesn't break like the original fireline after heavy use.  I hear the next or newest generation of fireline and the new Strewn micro ? product are better.  But I am sold on Power Pro braid in green as I can put it on in spring and get a whole season out of the #14, maybe.   If I use fireline I use #14 instead of #10 as it last longer, doesn't fail so much and not much difference in size or performance.   I am talking about casting plugs though, not jigging micro flies under ice.  You would want to go with much lighter lines for that as some of the above posts point out.  Fluorocarbon absorbs water and mono floats, so Flori stays down better and is better for strike detection.   Going deep?  A small diameter braid with fluorocarbon leader.  With any of this stuff you have tie good knots. For leaders joining Flori carbon to braid use  Uni Knots and superglue and test them.  @) @)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2011, 03:21 PM »
IMO - Original Fireline was like 10 times better than Original Power Pro.  30# PP snapped off on casts and was not intended for heavy use.  Never had that problem with 14# Fireline.  14# Fireline pulled up 8 feet of sunken timber of about 10 inch diameter after pulling the boat and dislodging the 20# anchor.  Original FL frayed and fluffed with fuzz.  Original PP sprayed green gunk all over and the coating peels off like a reptilian skin shed.  Comparing those qualities to the current line offering of today.  You don't hear all the crazy complaints nor the hyped marketing of it as much anymore.  Well Fireline Smoke still stain your hands with it's dye.   Power pro is still only about 4 strands weave, while there's other braids out there with 8 strands.

Flourocarbon doesn't need to absorb water to sink.  It just sinks because it is heavier than water. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.