Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 2357 times)

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
What am I doing wrong?
« on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:55 PM »
Every time I try to jig something up, I see the fish come up off bottom (I have a Vexilar), kinda look at my jig, then go back down. I've tried rapid pulsating of the jig, slight twitches and even keeping the thing still. This is the case for crappies, yellow perch, white perch, you name it. Any advice would be heavily appreciated.

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:11 PM »
i am not an expert but im learning fast... keep working at it and dont give up.. two weeks ago i was posting the same question.. just keep trying, switch baits, put a fresh minnowhead on, sooner or later youll get one and then youl get a feel for it.
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:12 PM »
You may not be doing anything wrong; sometimes the fish are in a negative mood, and just plain hard to catch. I would immediately switch to a different or smaller jig. I always have a minimum of five rods rigged with different jigs and and small spoons. Try some bare plastic if you haven't already. Check your jig in the hole and make sure your line isn't too twisted, spinning baits are a real turn off. Try fishing at first or last light; that should increase your chances of catching a good "bite''. Have different baits on hand, and switch up : spikes, wax worms, and mousies are a good start. Move to a totally different spot, or consider another lake or pond. If guys are whacking them around you, strike up a conversation and see if they will help. I always try to help as long someone isn't rude or loud first. If none of that works you may want to have an adult beverage or two. ;)

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:14 PM »
yea i forgot about that.. put a small barrel swivel about 16 inches up from your jig.. it helps stop the twisting
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:16 PM »
sounds like you have no bait on :-\ (mousies, minnow head, wax worms, etc.)

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:18 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to mention you might need lighter line; if you are using 4# you may need to lighten up. Some guys like to go 1#, but I rarely find the need to go lighter than 2#  in floro. Good luck.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:35 PM »
I know what it is, you are using the wrong flasher... You need an Ice 55...
Just kidding, It sounds like you need a smaller jig and some spikes.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:36 PM »
sounds like you have no bait on :-\ (mousies, minnow head, wax worms, etc.)

I use either a perch eye or some Gulp! or Gulp! Alive.

yea i forgot about that.. put a small barrel swivel about 16 inches up from your jig.. it helps stop the twisting

I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2010, 05:58 AM »
I found it best to just stop moving it when they show interest but won't bite.  It doesn't work all the time, but sometimes it helps. 
mike

Offline icenovice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2010, 06:27 AM »
I agree with others.  If it's tough, downsize line, jig (#14 or #16), spike, and make sure no spinning of lure and usually jig to attract then dead still to get them to bite.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:01 AM »
Usually go to 1# line (or less), #16-#20 jig and a small thin piece of plastic for a tail and make it dark, black, brown, olive or purple. If the overall length of the presentation is much more than 3/8" it may be to large. Even if fish are turned off they will often simply mouth something that appears in front of them, ever get sinker/swivel smackers during a slow stretch? Pinch the hook barb out of the way at least and open the hook gap a bit if the jig can handle it. Just put it in their face

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:04 AM »
When you attract fish to lure try raiseing lure and watch vex. If the fish follows keep raising oh so slow. A slight pause will useually get a responce. Sometime we raise fish 2 ft or better. Watching the vex will indicate how far a fish will go before it settles back down. On days like what you explained get away from the gulp. Go with natural live bait. Spikes Mousies, Waxworms, minnows. Don't use bobbers either you might need to slam bottom a few times to stir up a little silt then raise. Go to 2lb line for panfish. Florcarbon lines too. Get away from useing florecent lures and go to more natural colors such as Black, Brown, Purples. Try stacking lures small on top bigger on bottom watch to see which lure gets the hits. Use a light tip rod or even go with spring bobber to see if the fish is just mouthing then blowing bait back out. Many times fish like this just give you one chance a light hit or a indication of the spring bobber of straightening out (hitting on a rise) as you lower or raise jig. instead of jigging hard just tap rod with finger this little wiggle gets some hits. Or just a slow 1" pump of rod does it. Try running a deadstick rod if you have the room. Many fish will be attracted to jiggin but the hit will go to a deadstick. Only experamenting with this will get results. Keep working at it.

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:52 AM »
try changing the color of your jig.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2010, 08:56 AM »
All of you guys have great advice but the main thing about it all is.... make sure the fish cant see the tip of your hook if you're using waxies or maggots. The panfish here wont touch your bait if it's showing. Sometimes they can even see the tip thru the maggot so be aware. Not all lakes have fish like this but the lakes i fish do. I've had many times where they'd come up and look at the bait, follow it up, only to turn and leave. I'd pull it in and check and sure as heck, i could see the tip showing. I'd put fresh bait on or push the bait up to cover the barb, drop it back down, and catch that chaser. Cant explain why they hit plain plastics sometimes but wont touch a tiny jig with the hook showing. Hopefully this will help solve your problem.

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2010, 08:59 AM »
Try the combo of lighter line and some Gulp Alive or other live bait?

Offline Holden Turbitt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:15 AM »
its definetly a chess match, then the random person next to you doing nothing right will catch one

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:49 AM »
If you're trying different jigs and baits and the fish still charge in but won't bite you may have some sort of scent getting on your gear that they don't care for. Try a new line, jig, and bait combination. Also store your gear in a new place. If things are kept in a garage you may have fumes from gfasoline, vehical exhaust, paint, etc., impregnated in your gear or something like that.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2010, 01:11 PM »
Are there hook guards on the jig, and you didn't remove them?  ;D
(just joking)

Seriously, sometimes the fish need a little more action or attraction from the jig.
That means changing how you jig, or what you may be jigging with if you use real bait tipped jigs.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:15 PM »
Another thing is don't be looking at your Vex so much that you miss the hit.  I know some guys can catch 'em just watching the Vex.  When you see a fish rising to your jig, take your eyes off the Vex and focus on your rod tip (with a spring bobber attached).  The hit will be alot lighter than you think.  Sometimes you may just see your line move.  Set the hook and repeat.

Offline srock67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:04 AM »
The spring bobber is awesome on those days. I can usually bring them up on the showdown then I lay the pole on my leg to get as still as possible and stare at the spring, not the screen, and you will see just the slightest twitch set it fast cause you usually only get one "mouthing" before they settle back to the bottom. Of course that worked yesterday who knows about today lol!
"Take a kid fishing.........then the wife can't get mad at you for being gone all day!"

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2011, 12:14 PM »
I agree with Cold-feet
instead of jigging hard just tap rod with finger this little wiggle gets some hits.
This tehchnique has worked well for me - also, as all others have mentioned - change up the bait/lure - usually go down a size.
Tight lines

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2011, 07:11 PM »
I went out today, mainly for trout on traps, but got a lot of perch in one hole, so I decided to jig it. Pulled a few out, then pulled out a monster smelt. Thanks for the advice, seems like I'm doing something right now.

Offline amcmullen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I may be obsessed...
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2011, 11:06 AM »
When I was out the other day I would get one hit and then nothing but lookers and sniffers, when I reeled in to check there was still bait on the hook.  This would happen with every jig I tried.  a little bit later I was looking for line twist when I discovered one of my culprits.  I was using all horizontal jigs, when they would hit and miss they would pull the hook down and change position of the knot on the hook eye.  This would cause my jig to sit at an angle that the fish apparently found unappealing.  I adjusted the position and tightened the knot,  after that I had many more hitters (still not a lot though). 
I'm cold and I like it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.