Author Topic: Check these jigs out.  (Read 3385 times)

Offline skipper4080

• Team IceShanty Addict
Never get excited there's a reason for everything,I just don't know what it is??

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
Re: Check these jigs out.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2010, 05:43 AM »
Nice! Thanks for the link Joe

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2010, 12:17 PM »
 This was mentioned already when these jigs were discussed in the jigging section on this site, but I will repeat it. This is a good gift to talk your wife into buying you for Christmas, due to the price factor, IMO. Then when a pickerel clips you off, you won't feel quite as bad! (3.49-3.99 a pop ::)) If she isn't willing to drop 35-40 bucks (ten piece asst.) on you; time for a new spouse! ;)

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2010, 12:22 PM »
I posted that link in the jigging section. They are very nice but on the pricey side. I did quite a bit of searching on the net and found out that Bentley is just and importer of those jigs. The jigs are manufactured in Latvia I believe.

Offline skipper4080

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2010, 01:05 PM »
They are pricey I just thought it was a little something different.
Never get excited there's a reason for everything,I just don't know what it is??

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2010, 03:02 PM »
No reason they wouldn't work; after all, they are only a slight variation on a tried and true design. I'll post a review after Christmas.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2010, 04:52 PM »
No reason they wouldn't work; after all, they are only a slight variation on a tried and true design.

I'll stick to the original design at a fraction of the price...I've donated too many to picks over the years to drop that much on a single jig  ;) ;)
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2010, 07:29 PM »
I see everyones point that they are pricey and it is a shame to loose them to a toothy. I have been fishing tungsten jigs exclusively for a few years now and where they really shine is in the deep water for schooling perch or suspended crappie the rate that they fall at could mean the difference of a fish or two and that could be the difference in winning and loosing a tournament. Not to mention that in water over ten feet deep the feel of a lead jig is not even comparable to that of tungsten. I also believe that tungsten jigs also have a much crisper action.
Dave

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2010, 08:12 PM »
Each type of jig has its pros and cons my best advise on a jig is to fish what you have confidence in
Dave

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:09 PM »
crystals are for jewlery and dishwear not lures!!!!!!!

Offline arcticcatz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:10 PM »
crystals are for jewlery and dishwear not lures!!!!!!!
Ha I agree! They do look cool, But alot of $$$ Why change when gill pills will catch everyfish in the lake? ;D

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:58 PM »
I see your point that the tungsten weighs more than a lead jig of the same size and this translates to a quicker drop and more feel when lifting the jig. For myself, I watch the action of my jig on the vex and make adjustments according to the fishes response. I'll even add a split shot when fishing 20-30 feet. 

Not true!

Tungsten has an atomic weight of 183.84

Lead has an atomic weight of 207.2

The only common heavy metal with a higher atomic weight than lead is Bismuth at 208.98

There are other heavy metals with higher atomic weights... but they're all radioactive... talk about making a jig glow in the dark! :o
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2010, 04:05 PM »
I don't know about atomic weight and the real world.  I do know that there is something that has a specific gravity value higher that lead.  Gold.  It is almost twice that of lead.  Maybe someone smarter than me can fill us in.  If not I will do some searchin on the net tonight.  Can something have a lighter atomic weight and a higher specific gravity.  Damn I should have paid attention in high school.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2010, 04:21 PM »
Atomic Weight is a dimensionless physical quantity given via a calculation on a per atom basis. Lead is soft & loosely tied together, tungsten is hard, densely packed together and a PIA to work with. It is heavier per volume as we use it. Frightened myself there for a minute, been out of College over 30yrs

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2010, 04:32 PM »
 did not see any prices or catalogs but are nice looking

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2010, 04:39 PM »
Atomic Weight is a dimensionless physical quantity given via a calculation on a per atom basis. Lead is soft & loosely tied together, tungsten is hard, densely packed together and a PIA to work with. It is heavier per volume as we use it. Frightened myself there for a minute, been out of College over 30yrs

So I guess this PTE is just all wrong then eh?

http://www.science.co.il/ptelements.asp

Maybe hydrogen shouldn't be the first on the list since there might be something lighter???

Just because a substance is harder, doen't mean it's heavier.

... and gold isn't heavier than lead either.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2010, 05:53 PM »
I politely beg to differ. 

Gold has a specific gravity of 19.3
Lead is 11.35

Gold is more dense.  If you filled a cup with gold and the same size cup with lead the gold would weight more.

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2010, 05:58 PM »
And I just found tungsten's SG it is 19.25

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2010, 07:17 PM »
Not true!

Tungsten has an atomic weight of 183.84

Lead has an atomic weight of 207.2

The only common heavy metal with a higher atomic weight than lead is Bismuth at 208.98

There are other heavy metals with higher atomic weights... but they're all radioactive... talk about making a jig glow in the dark! :o

Go get a piece of lead and a piece of tungsten the exact same dimensions and weigh them. You will find out the tungsten is significantly heavier than the lead.

Then take those exact same weights and see which one fishes heavier, the tungsten will win again.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2010, 05:35 PM »
You guy are confusing me................ Just tell me which weighs more: a gram of lead, a gram of gold or a gram of tungsten??? ;D
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Chris K

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hi, I am Chris, and I have an icefishing addiction
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2010, 06:05 PM »
Lightest to heaviest in order is:

Lead
Tungsten
Gold

Chris K
NPAA # 125

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2010, 08:33 AM »
a gram of each would all weigh the same, but the gold and the tunsten would be smaller in size.

Offline amcmullen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I may be obsessed...
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2010, 10:05 AM »
So let me try to summarize this, at the atomic level Lead is heavier than tungsten (one atom of each). However, Tungsten is much more dense (more atoms per volume).  So if you have two jigs of equal size, the tungsten jig will be heavier. 

However, if the tungsten jig costs 50% more than the lead jig will it theoretically catch more fish?  Lets not get into the crystal powers theory

I'm cold and I like it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.