Author Topic: Smoking tulibees??  (Read 4246 times)

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Smoking tulibees??
« on: Feb 19, 2007, 02:47 PM »
I am hopefully heading out for a day of whitefish fishing tomorrow and the spot where I go produces a few tulibees as well. I am thinking of keeping some to smoke and was wondering if anybody here has any experience with them.
I was considering doing them cleaned and whole (minus the head) and brining overnight, but I don't have an idea as to how long or how to check them to see if they are done. My experience has always been with fillets of fish, never whole fish.
My Little Chief has been sitting dormant far too long as the temperature has been too darned cold to get any smoking done.
Thanks for any help,
Glen
PS- Posting in the cuisine section as well. Hope this is okay.

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Smoking tulibees??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2007, 04:49 PM »
Snakehunter, I have tried smoking tullibee several times with mixed results. Find them a bit too boney and dry, no way better than the big ones bought in the stores. I fish L. Manitoba and can't get them much larger than about14 inches though. If I had whitefish on the ice I wouldn't even look at tullibee...IMHO!

Try scaling and filleting a couple jumbo whitefish. Remove the rib bones in the typical way and carefully slice out the pin bones making a boneless fillet. Put the fillets on a ceramic or plastic tray skin down and sprinkle pickling salt and a bit of brown sugar on them. Season with crushed pepper and a bit of Mrs. Dash. Cover and refridgerate over night. The salt and sugar will pull moisture from the fillets and make it's brine. Hot smoke these fillets for about 3 hours. You won't be able to stop eating the stuff! This method also works well with lake trout, salmon, etc...

Ted
He who hesitates is lost...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.