Author Topic: chumming w/macaronni  (Read 5018 times)

Offline samson

• IceShanty Rookie
chumming w/macaronni
« on: Oct 24, 2005, 10:52 AM »
i just heard from an old timer that he used to chum the holes with macaronni for whitefish, any merit to this tip?

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
Re: chumming w/macaronni
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2005, 02:53 PM »
Groan. That's terrible slipbob :D

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2005, 03:33 PM »
Hey thats supposed to work just like rice is. Simulates a hatch of some kind. Lots of "worms" I suppose. Using rice has worked for me on open water before. I can't tell you if it will work for whitefish but there's one way to find out.....
KRIS

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2005, 08:29 PM »
if you use rice cook it first. raw rice expands in a fishes stomache and will kill it!

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2005, 12:51 AM »
Ya cooked rice. That's what I meant.

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2006, 11:51 AM »
Another very good thing to use where we fish is cooked Barley Rice Macaroni and i like to put a couple cans of Spring Water sardines in with the batch.  I chum good a week prior to fishing.  After they are there chum with slight amont or rice and dry oatmeal works well 2.  We don't catch whitefish here jigging it's all bottom fishing with pikerel eggs or mudsucker meat are preferred baits.  The reason for that is that smelt/perch/tommycod won't leave the jiggin bait alone and i'ma firm believer that whitefish like to be alone around there own kind.  I've noticed that the whitefish bite here is best from 11 till 2 when all other fish slow down.  Hook size ranges from 10-16's single egg hooks. We play a waiting game I guess but hey i catch alot of fish that way.  they have been caught jiggin before I caight one last year jiggin 3 feet off bottom so i guess some bites that ya miss might be Whites.

Offline samson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2006, 10:42 AM »
good tips, gotta try them out this year.  been spending my time trying for walleye and crappie without much success

Offline WhitefishWilly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2006, 06:02 PM »
I have tried macaroni and rice with little success,not saying it does not work but have not caught any or manyfish that have picked it up? Best thing in our area is salmon eggs.
The amount you put down is still a question. We usually only put down a small handfull at a time. We have also used canned corn but again it seems only the large fish seem to take it? Been fishing them or 25 years and still learning. Lot's of fun has been had chasing them..

Whitefish Willy

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2006, 08:03 AM »
On Lake Simcoe, they bait their ice fishing huts with salted minnows dumped on the bottom to attract whitefish.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline Nitro_372

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2006, 08:05 PM »
I will have to try that

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.