Author Topic: Line to use on I-fish pro type tipups with rod and reel  (Read 3953 times)

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
What type of line do you all prefer on your reel when using an I-fish pro or ice rigger type tip up.
Braid can freeze, flouro is kinky and springy and mono floats.
I noticed there are a few coated braids that supposedly do not absorb water.
Any suggestions?
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Line to use on I-fish pro type tipups with rod and reel
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:30 AM »
Anyone?
I used 10 lb. Flouro on my Finicky Fooler and landed a mid 30" Pike last weekend. It worked but is kind of springy and I'm afraid of getting tangled.
Looking at the coated ice braids which day they repel water.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:55 AM »
I use HT ice riggers, same concept as the finicky fooler but uses a gator clip to hold the line for the tigger. To me, having a little bit of coiling doesn’t matter with set lines as your not feeling for the bite, it gives a bit of runtime before the flag goes up. Or use a slightly bigger weight. M
Lighter fluoro won’t be as slinky. Using a heavy fluoro leader for pike is great, don’t use any more than 10lb of soft fluoro as the main line (I use seagar red label up to 6lb and invizix for 10lb). Otherwise, fireline crystal fused in 10lb and lighter are very fine and don’t ice up that much. Their “micro ice” is the same line as the open water crystal, so don’t bother with the little pony spools sold for ice.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2019, 12:09 AM »
Depends on what I am after, we use ice riggers. 4-6lb sufix ice magic for crappie/perch, baitcaster with 14lb mono for pike (with appropriate leader), havent tried them for walleye yet. Some silicone line spray will help with freezing line, keeps the water off it. I really don't use them if its going to be real cold, I just use tipups.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.