Author Topic: Mason tip up line warning  (Read 4270 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Mason tip up line warning
« on: Dec 31, 2015, 12:45 PM »
Dont buy the 50 yard spools! I only use tipups for panfish and bass on shallow lakes so i dont need a lot of line on mine, so i bought a few of the 50yd 15# spools for ease of spooling on my polars, one spool per tip up. Well, judging by the time the drill ran on each spool, they werent even close to the same yardage. A couple were 20 seconds, one was 40 seconds, one was 10 seconds, and one was about 30 seconds. Theres no possible way they were equal. The 20 seconds ones seem about right for 50yds, the 10 second one couldnt have been more than 20-25 yards.. Thankfully i had left a lot of old line on for backing with the short one!

The line itself feels great. Waxed, limp, a tiny bit of stretch, and pretty strong for 15#. Wouldnt suggest it for pike or big eyes, but should work great for me.

Moral of the story is always buy in bulk spools!!!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Mason tip up line warning
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2015, 06:25 PM »
...and around here they are way over priced for 50 yards
I am haunted by waters...

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2016, 01:52 AM »
I use mason meat caster line.  #80lb test  in 200 yd spools. Sand color

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2018, 11:34 AM »
and i just bought 36 pound mason that i will change out my old lines with,anyone else like or dislike that line?
I am haunted by waters...

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2018, 02:38 PM »
Just curious Kevin, how were you spooling your line? By hand or use a drill (that's what I do). NM, just re-read your post. With a drill (or by hand) the speed of spooling is inconsistent and could contribute to your observation. I know that using the variable speed on my drill is different every time I spool depending on how the line lays or what my mood might be. I fill from a bulk spool so I just fill to a comfortable level and that's it. One other quick test to check how full your spool is would be to measure from the rim of the spool to the line. But to your point, 10 seconds is not a very long time.

Not excusing, just supposin'. Regardless of spool size there should be the advertised amount or very close to it. Even though, sometimes funky things happen in a manufacturing environment so you could be right. Believe me, I've seen my share of stupid stuff. No real way to tell without actually measuring though. Further, if you took the "mistake" on a percentage basis from the advertised amount, the discrepancy would be even more on a higher capacity spool.

In my experience there's nothing wrong with Mason products. I've used both Dacron and wire from them with expected results. Regardless of target species I prefer 30 -36# test simply for a balance of ease of handling and spool capacity (all my spools are 200ft.). I'm never tippy fishing deeper than 40 FOW so 50 - 60 yds. (150 - 180 feet) on a trap is plenty but yes, I've been spooled (or nearly so) twice on big fish. Got 'em both  ;D
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2018, 07:44 PM »
Its been a few years now. I ended up pulling it all off and buying a couple bulk spools of sufix. Way better line.

The main reason was i got a pike on a crappie minnow and it had me in backing before it stopped its initial run.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2018, 07:46 PM »
Its been a few years now. I ended up pulling it all off and buying a couple bulk spools of sufix. Way better line.

The main reason was i got a pike on a crappie minnow and it had me in backing before it stopped its initial run.

That's what backing's for eh?  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.