Author Topic: The perfect ice auger for cordless drill.  (Read 5018 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The perfect ice auger for cordless drill.
« on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:42 AM »
Mine would be an aluminum shaft, 2 piece so I can leave half at home for thin ice, with plastic flites and a Nils cutting head. 5 inch diameter, less than 4 lbs. Oh, and replace the drill chuck with something fixed so it never falls off and goes down the hole.

What about yours?

Anyone set up to manufacture the favorite design?

:)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: The perfect ice auger for cordless drill.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:32 PM »
I will stick with the Mini Nero.
<===Lefty===

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:57 PM »
Aluminum shaft 7075 with delron outer to remove shards, lazer blades with countersink in middle.
Fixed 4041 carbon steel 1/2" drill chuck attachment, 8" cutting hole.

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline sincere103

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:32 PM »
I use the K-Drill 8"

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:39 PM »
I will stick with the Mini Nero.
I'd have to agree with Lefty here about the Nero. It ain't perfect but it beats all the hand, gas and electric units I've accumulated over the years as best the of their kind, to the tune of a couple of grand all totaled. It's cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, Tonka tough and cuts like a striped a$$ ape under either a Fuel or Octane drill. Or you can put together one of the custom jobs described above if you have a machine shop to fabricate components from titanium, Delrin, aluminum and tool steel. Then we can meet up on Colorado's Elevenmile and cut through 26" of rock hard ice like I found yesterday and have a little race for pink slips. Any of you K-Drill boys are welcome to compete.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:58 PM »
Question for you guys that run the Nero.  I watched a video of a Nero in action and it looks like it walks a bit when you first start. I have been using a 7" strickmaster shaver that starts nice and solid where ever you put it down.   Now it does catch a little hard at the bottom.  Maybe that is the trade off.  Loose start but no grab at the bottom?  Just looking for your thoughts. Thanks!

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2019, 06:34 PM »
Question for you guys that run the Nero.  I watched a video of a Nero in action and it looks like it walks a bit when you first start. I have been using a 7" strickmaster shaver that starts nice and solid where ever you put it down.   Now it does catch a little hard at the bottom.  Maybe that is the trade off.  Loose start but no grab at the bottom?  Just looking for your thoughts. Thanks!

Grabbing hard at the bottom is putting it mildly. Make sure you're prepared for the BUMP. It's more pronounced than any other auger out there, and be sure your wrist is in a well locked and secure braced position.
I've tried 2X  but possibly I'm not addressing the situation properly. I've only been playing with augers since 1965 and chopping holes thru hard water since 1962.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:15 PM »
I recall that Nils had 2 grinds: Hand and Power. The hand cut more aggressively, but probably at the expense of higher torque and grabbing at the bottom. I have not tried Nero, but wonder if it is on the aggressive side to spin full speed with a drill.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:30 PM »
Aluminum shaft, 8" Mora with only half the flights of a stock, tall enough to not need an extension for standard ice.. Lighter than a 7.5" kdrill...

<°)))>{

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2019, 06:42 AM »
That is bad a$$! How did you make your connection?  Looks like you used a threaded insert and just bolted it through?  What size and gage of alum pipe is that?  Well done sir.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:15 AM »

Anyone set up to manufacture the favorite design?

:)

I don't need to, K-drill made me the perfect auger!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:42 AM »
You are a handy guy! I like your blade cover too! I suppose any auger you like could be the donor for the cutting head. You have me thinking!

:tipup:

Aluminum shaft, 8" Mora with only half the flights of a stock, tall enough to not need an extension for standard ice.. Lighter than a 7.5" kdrill...

<°)))>{

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2019, 10:11 AM »

i bought the ridgid octane for this season and a new 8 inch lazer. there is no grab at the bottom and the only way you know your at bottom is because of all the water that's getting thrown at your knees instantly.
no plate needed and no extra bracing or worries. just drill and try to kill the motor at breakthrough to try to keep your boots dry. it cuts that fast. it cuts smooth and no grabbing ever and very fast.
 the sound it makes is awesome. it has a loud whoosh sound from all the water surging up the hole so fast and then hitting the ice. my buddy kept copying the sound by saying whoosh!
with this set up i want the motor shut off asap. and it always clears the majority of the shavings with very little to scoop out.

with my 6 inch lazer and my ridgid 780 inch pound drill the cut was slower and it could catch at times on breakthrough, but wasn't any thing to worry about, just lift to make it take less ice like we do cutting metal on breakthrough.
with this set up i would keep the motor running after breakthrough to try to clear the ice shavings.

so the motors torque allows the advertised speed to be a constant, is what i learned from these systems.

also i had bought the plate thinking i needed help holding on, but i was wrong big time. it doesn't need the added weight either or the wobble i had that clam refused to deal with. just make sure the aux handle is tight and go. it cuts too fast to have have hang ups or grabbing. it also has protection in case this happens, so again no plate needed.

the only thing i would change is the weight. compared to my smaller rig it is noticeable, but worth it. it doesn't need so much fighting and it doesn't need a center point and it should be able to reopen holes because it has kickers on each blade to hold the blade angle unlike the 6 inch and i had bent one so i bought a new one last season.

for 75$ for the auger, nothing for the drill and 160$ for a 9 amp battery and charger with a lifetime warranty, i found my perfect auger. it reminds me of the icegator speed and sound on breakthrough.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2019, 11:29 AM »
i bought the ridgid octane for this season and a new 8 inch lazer. there is no grab at the bottom and the only way you know your at bottom is because of all the water that's getting thrown at your knees instantly.
no plate needed and no extra bracing or worries. just drill and try to kill the motor at breakthrough to try to keep your boots dry. it cuts that fast. it cuts smooth and no grabbing ever and very fast.
 the sound it makes is awesome. it has a loud whoosh sound from all the water surging up the hole so fast and then hitting the ice. my buddy kept copying the sound by saying whoosh!
with this set up i want the motor shut off asap. and it always clears the majority of the shavings with very little to scoop out.

with my 6 inch lazer and my ridgid 780 inch pound drill the cut was slower and it could catch at times on breakthrough, but wasn't any thing to worry about, just lift to make it take less ice like we do cutting metal on breakthrough.
with this set up i would keep the motor running after breakthrough to try to clear the ice shavings.

so the motors torque allows the advertised speed to be a constant, is what i learned from these systems.

also i had bought the plate thinking i needed help holding on, but i was wrong big time. it doesn't need the added weight either or the wobble i had that clam refused to deal with. just make sure the aux handle is tight and go. it cuts too fast to have have hang ups or grabbing. it also has protection in case this happens, so again no plate needed.

the only thing i would change is the weight. compared to my smaller rig it is noticeable, but worth it. it doesn't need so much fighting and it doesn't need a center point and it should be able to reopen holes because it has kickers on each blade to hold the blade angle unlike the 6 inch and i had bent one so i bought a new one last season.

for 75$ for the auger, nothing for the drill and 160$ for a 9 amp battery and charger with a lifetime warranty, i found my perfect auger. it reminds me of the icegator speed and sound on breakthrough.

Hey 3300, by your description is sounds like the Ridgid Octane is spinning your auger quite fast. How far does it throw the shavings before you even break through? Also what is the thickest ice that you've drilled with that combination?
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2019, 01:16 PM »
Composite or alum flighting to cut weight. Flat blades so no catching on the hole similar in design to eskimo quantum blades, swedish hard steel of course so they dont dull fast. 7" hole. And long enough of a shaft to fit on a clam plate without needing wobbly extensions.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2019, 05:56 PM »
Well Put.
The best auger on this earth is the one you Own.
They're all Female, usually High Maintenance and work well when you talk nicely at wake-up in the morning.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2019, 06:21 PM »
Hey 3300, by your description is sounds like the Ridgid Octane is spinning your auger quite fast. How far does it throw the shavings before you even break through? Also what is the thickest ice that you've drilled with that combination?

it is cutting fast. i thought my last auger/drill was fast until i got this one. throws ice about two feet out at start up. our winter is a bad one again for ice fishing. been a giant roller coaster, but at least we have fishable ice where we didn't last season. last week was minus 20 and this week is 53.
the thickest ice has been only 9 inches so far. i am not worried about if it can handle 2 or 3 feet tho, i know it will. the thickest ice i have fished was 2 feet. my area only gets an average of 12 inches.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:51 PM »
That is bad a$$! How did you make your connection?  Looks like you used a threaded insert and just bolted it through?  What size and gage of alum pipe is that?  Well done sir.

You are a handy guy! I like your blade cover too! I suppose any auger you like could be the donor for the cutting head. You have me thinking!

:tipup:

Thanks guys!!

The aluminum tubing was ordered from McMaster Carr, the I.D. fit the unpainted Mora steel shaft 1", I think it's 1/4 inch wall, making an outside diameter of 1.5" but not positive on that, did it a couple years ago..

The flights of a stock Mora are welded at the top, bottom, and middle. I cut the flight at the middle weld, and the shaft further up..

The way it's held together is with a stainless "T" nut, and button head screw.. I hammered the T-nut to sit flat on the round tubing..

More pictures of the setup and blade cover here...

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=348276.msg3709295#msg3709295

<°)))>{

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2019, 10:11 PM »
Ice Scratcher: Any trade offs with less flites on the auger? Do you need to lift to clear chips when the ice is thick?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2019, 11:41 PM »
Ice Scratcher: Any trade offs with less elites on the auger? Do you need to lift to clear chips when the ice is thick?

I run my 8" drill auger just like my gas auger, because it's got a gear reduction box.. But I ran that six inch Mora (pictured above) without gears for a few seasons, and after the first 15 inches of ice, yes, I'd lift it to clear the chips.. Even with full flights I'd lift it too.. I was drilling over 2ft of ice with that sixer, and found the shortened flights worked better because of less flights rubbing/scuffing on the sides of the hole..

<°)))>{

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2019, 07:52 AM »
Ice Scratcher,
Again well done!  I have the same set up with the Clam plate/Ridgid and love it but I blew up my gear box last season first time out.  Found with the bigger drills there really isn't a need for the reducer.  I think I will try the Lazer auger with the alum shaft.  Looks to be the best set up out there.   Thanks for sharing 👍

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2019, 05:35 PM »
Ice Scratcher,
Again well done!  I have the same set up with the Clam plate/Ridgid and love it but I blew up my gear box last season first time out.  Found with the bigger drills there really isn't a need for the reducer.  I think I will try the Lazer auger with the alum shaft.  Looks to be the best set up out there.   Thanks for sharing 👍

Thanks man!

What gear box was it? Black (plastic) housing or silver (aluminum)?

My drill can turn a 6" without the gears, never tried it with an 8". When I put the 6" on the gear box it was pretty awesome..

<°)))>{

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:13 PM »
Scratcher,  It was one of the black plastic ones.  Clam has a great idea but it was just a little weak to handle the torque.  I was using a 650# Ridgid with a 6" mora at the time.  No worries now, that 1400 # Ridgid can turn any auger i put on it with ease.  I will try to add a pic of my set up but not sure if it will work..

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:33 PM »
Scratcher,  It was one of the black plastic ones.  Clam has a great idea but it was just a little weak to handle the torque.  I was using a 650# Ridgid with a 6" mora at the time.  No worries now, that 1400 # Ridgid can turn any auger i put on it with ease.  I will try to add a pic of my set up but not sure if it will work..

Those plastic boxes were covered under warranty and replaced free with a stronger USA made aluminum housed version, also came with a sweatshirt, gloves, and some other stuff for the trouble..

Glad to hear you got a good running combo now..

<°)))>{

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2019, 09:13 PM »
Think I might call Clam tomorrow! Thanks

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2019, 09:21 PM »
Think I might call Clam tomorrow! Thanks

Might have better luck asking them for hens teeth at this point, but nothing ventured nothing gained...

Good luck!!

<°)))>{

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:38 PM »
Eskimo 8" Pistol Bit. Over a pound lighter than K Drill  8 (7.5) inch. Cuts faster too. Tried each side by side. Pistol Bit hands down. Ignore the reviews about walking. Turn it on and let it cut. Don't push down or it will move a little. Almost got a K Drill. Glad I waited.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NronqRmiAh4
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Sorry, but Titanium rocks.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2019, 08:23 AM »
kdrill for me,,  but I suppose if I was in a timed championship event ,, you could shave a second or 2 of your time using another,,, but that's only unless you hit some form of dirty ice.   so far so good ;D
youngster

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2019, 09:50 AM »
Don't know about perfect but my set up is more than adequate. Makita hammer drill set on drill and lower speed (49bucks online) two 5ah batteries (haven't needed the second one yet this year) clam plate, extension, and 6" Lazer. I do a lot of jigging and this set up has worked great for me. Got the plat on sale fro Dicks (around 55$ year before last) and I already have Makita tools for work so own a charger. Last trip I drilled about 25 holes through10". When I got home I checked the indicators to see which battery I had used and they both read 4 out of 4bars. That said the most I have drilled with it is 12" but that was no prob, and we don't seem to get really thick ice the way we used to.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.