Author Topic: Kubota RTV  (Read 1179 times)

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
Kubota RTV
« on: Oct 04, 2013, 08:55 PM »
I just got a new one this summer in perfect condition off Craigslist. It has a fully enclosed cab, heat, and all that stuff. It weighs 2500 pounds and I was wondering how much ice I would need to comfortably drive on?

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
Re: Kubota RTV
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2013, 04:25 AM »
I wouldn't take it on less then 12" myself.... 2500 lbs on a small wheel base

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2013, 07:38 PM »

I had an rtv500 for 3 years, it was the best for ice fishing unless there was over 7 inches of snow. Even with 4 wheel drive and the differential lock on, that thing got stuck all the time. Great for everything else, but horrible in the snow. Maybe the 500 is underpowered, not sure....... but that is why I sold it. BTW I was comfortable with anything over 8 inches of ice. Hope you have better luck.

Jimmy
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2013, 03:47 PM »
Its not usually a horsepower thing, the problem is weight displacement vs area. When your trying to displace 7-1000 lbs. over four tire with the contact area of lets say 80 sq/in total,  and that's being that it has over size tires. You just won't have the floatation over the snow no matter how much HP you have. Just as a comparison, a typical snowmobile is around 550-600 sq/in in the track area no including the skis. Plus those are lighter. Tracks on quads are the way to go for the snow!
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2013, 07:54 AM »
Or go really fast and hope for the best......kidding.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.