The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Private Lake Reports  (Read 124047 times)

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Private Lake Reports
« Reply #60 on: Jan 04, 2009, 04:30 AM »
NICE! Reeeeel NICE!

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 04, 2009, 03:39 PM »
Did some more Gillin today with my buddy Zitback. The bite was good at daybreak but then slowed around 9:30. Zitback left at 10:30 with 30 slab gills & I stayed 'till 1:30 to limit out. I kept 3 crappie & 47 gills.

http://skam232.smugmug.com/gallery/7009519_tGQqf/1/448748524_KZzk2#448748462_6m5gn

Offline flagup#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:07 PM »
Whatta day J.M.  I've chopped holes in the lake to stick a suction hose from the fire truck in but didn't have a jigging pole or tip-up to stick in the hole.  From the looks of the pictures the lake is certainly alive and doing good!

tight lines!

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #63 on: Jan 05, 2009, 08:36 AM »
Didn't I call it, that my withdrawals from the luck bank would just run dry.  Truly, it was bound to happen.  Heck, I saw my first "other" icefisherman (people not fishing with me), and the fact that it was slow for them just meant it was one of those days.  I was using 3-4 inch shiners today trying my best to see something other than perch, and in a sense it worked.  Still caught more fish than some of my boys on Budd and Monksville, but no need to mention names.

Anyway, Dizzy was on the lake at 7a, off by 10 with 16 perch, 8 bullgills, and a seed.  Not bad.

Arkansaspete was on at 9:30, off by 4:30 having consistent action for the most part, including a decent bass.  Jim Beam has stunted my memory.

AS for me, well can't complain, took home 13 perch with 4 over 11 and all over 8.  2 bass to that mix and it was OK for getting out at 1030.  Another buddy went home with a dozen and landed three nice bass, including a 4-2.  And that's all I can report, I'm in severe pain and will be doing it all over again tomorrow, just hopefully on Gruber lake.  Every book has its dull points, this was mine.  Then again, just having the ability to just sit around and relax and not chase 100 flags was definietely a welcoming point.

Alright, gotta go pick up my permit for Skytop Lake and go see how many trout are sitting at the inlet.  You boys enjoy.

Dr. JM

Didn't make the tourney

4-2

my first smacker

buddies dozen

Arkansaspete never looked better
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:16 AM »
Following up my stunning shut-out victory in the BTC (Bullhead Tournament of Champions) on Friday, I just had to go back to the well one more time to stop the reoccurring dreams of BULLgills coming through the ice.

I fished a frigid—but calm—Sunday morning from 7-11am and landed another beautiful mixed bag of bluegills and perch, taking home 9 for the fryer.

I was actually heading off the ice at 930 as the action slowed greatly once the pinging and booming started up out on the main lake… then I saw Arkansas Pete pull up and decided to stick around until 11. It worked out pretty well too as I was able to pick up a few more keepers before calling it quits on back-to-back “Rapala-sized” perch.

Ice was 3-4 inches of hard stuff with another 1-2 inches of bubble-wrap on top of that.

I didn’t have my IS Tourney card with me, so I took one measurement just for sheets and giggles of my biggest ‘gill which “flirted” with the 9.75” mark.

Offline arkansaspete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #65 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:02 AM »
J/M another nice day on your lake was nice to see dizzy out there looked like he did well with the am. bite the lake was thumpin alittle but quieted down towards dark the action picked  up J/M jigged up some nice bullgills an the beam was smooth caught 3 nice perch at 11" 4 nice gills 9"+ with a mess of big gills realeased. A/P  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 07, 2009, 07:11 PM »
well another day on monroe, another poor african nation fed.  My account in the luck bank is full again, and I took another withdrawal today, but just invest in another feat.  Today was the best Bass day I have yet had on the lake, and the perch kept the flags flying once the bass moved off.  Van Cleaver, myself, and a freind from Emerald lakes (who now says he likes this place more) decided to put some 3-4 inch shiners under tip-ups.  Started at 1030 at the inlet creek and by 12, had a dozen bass landed with several other runners lost due to drops or snags.  then the perch picked up, and some really nice specimens up to 13 inches, and yet another nice bullhead.  we finally had a few minutes to jig and were able to get another dozen+ of 9 inch bullgills.  The day ended at 4 for me and my buddy, but not before another short flurry of 4 bass and the wife picking up a final fish while wrapping up, another nice bullhead.  So, me and my buddy took home five bass and 40 panfish and we were contenet.  I've gotta try something else soon, ice season is spoiling me rotten.

Van, to another awesome day buddy.  The crappies will come.

Diz, ARpete (not ak by the way), its still here waiting for you guys, but like van says, we should go search for craps on mountaintop or pinetree.

Let me know guys, gonna do it all over again friday.  need to get to gruber as well.

Dr. JM

a common theme of the day - two flags at the same time

Get him van

got him

a far shot of another of van's bass

Buddy's flag

and the fruit thereof

yet another of my flags

and the fruit thereof

jigging it up

and the close up

1 of 2 bullhead

wife getting in on the action

another 9 incher

ISN'T SHE SO SEXY :-* :o

a kiss goodbye in the snow
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline flagup#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 07, 2009, 07:45 PM »
You must be a real die hard JM, it was absolutely pouring today.  After I scraped the driveway I spent the rest of the day prepping my tip-ups.  I'll see if I can get some action on Promise Land this weekend.  Keep the pictures coming!

Offline jasong31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 07, 2009, 08:23 PM »
nice pics!!!!  How much ice does that gem have?

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 07, 2009, 08:30 PM »
Great job with the pics JM! I didn't download to my account yet, but you seemed to have it covered. As it happens, the above action happened yesterday. I got to drive home through the ice, freezing rain etc. There was one accident within the first couple of miles, but then the rain took over. The new treads on my Tacoma were certainly tested. One of my favorite moments was some hot coffee and cheesecake on the ice. Talk about roughing it! It's a tough job, but.............

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #70 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:41 AM »
Enough fishing for bait JM....I got my "private" ice waiting for ya this weekend...feel free to bring some of them perch and gills for bait...theres some hungry toothies waiting to be fed  ;) ;)
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline HOLE_POKER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 08, 2009, 03:11 PM »
Am I the only one that noticed?  Or am I the only one willing to say it?  YES she is so sexy!
Hopefully I can get my girlie to pose with the fishes, it just makes for a better picture!
Stay tuned...

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #72 on: Jan 08, 2009, 06:12 PM »
Am I the only one that noticed?  Or am I the only one willing to say it?  YES she is so sexy!
Hopefully I can get my girlie to pose with the fishes, it just makes for a better picture!
Stay tuned...

I guess I've just gone drinking with them too many times over the past 2 years to have noticed  ;)

Offline BrewCrew27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 09, 2009, 11:09 PM »
Fellas,  the ice here in Lycoming county is now safe.  Fished a private lake today for the first time. drilled holes at one end of the 95 acre lake, ice was 3inches, went to the other end, ice was 6 inches.  3 gills, 1 bass, 1 pick.  it was great to finally be out.  J/M   we are jealous of you. You fish lakes where their are fish, and fish lakes that get lots of ice.  We are jealous.  JM, you have about 7 weeks on us for ICE season so far, but MAN,  its on now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! here in lycoming county

Offline BrewCrew27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 10, 2009, 10:37 PM »
fished a private lake again today, didn't fish long, snow slowed us down alot. what is normally a 45 min drive, turned into 2 hours.   so, only fished for 2 hours, got 2 , 15in perch, and 6 bass, 15-18 inches, all fish released.   It took us 1 hour from where we had to park, to get to our spot on this lake.  steep bank, then a  long drag.

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:24 AM »
First and Foremost, MarkD, good for you man, awesome to see someone fishin behind my mom's house, for the first time, this thread has served a useful purpose, someone fishing the same private lake as another.  I will call you this week (this weekend was awfully painful) and we will se eachother on the ice hopefully this weekend.  Remember, youi got my invitation to come here to Onroe whenever you feel like it.

Well, that's it, I'm done with Monroe for a while.  it's just getting boring, and today was over the top.  Numbers wise, eh, it was OK, 60-80 fish went home among 8 guys, 100-150 flags, but the big story, actually 2 stories, was the size of the fish ganked today as well as finally, after a dozen outings, we found the crappie (hear that Diz and ARpete).  It took dang near long enough.  We all met up at 830, packed 4 full sleds with everything needed to make a comfortable day of it and walked out.  set up back where the creek dumps in and had a fish on the ice within seconds of the first tip-up in the water.  We eventually got out 40 tip-ups and it was absolutely consistent action with a flag every 5-10 minutes.  Van Cleaver was in the mix jigging up his usual batch of 9+ inch gills and 9+ inch perch.  Got to taste wwhat real Poloks drink - 192 proof grain alcohol weakened a bit by some freshly squeezed lemons and some honey.  The barbecue was runnin, the wind calmed down, the sun came out, and that higher power showed himself for a moment.  Got another bullhead in the mix, and of course bass and pickeral, oh yeah, and 4 crappie.

So onto story #1.  It was a known fact theat Monroe was a producer of some monsters.  heck, the few mongrols that ever heard of this lake all said the same thing "it's got some big bass."  Another one we heard was "there are only a few crappie in this lake, but they'll make you cry"  Of course the few Pickeral we have caught were all big, so we knew thay were in here.  Gills, ah, 9 inch average, but van decided to put a front runner in the tourney with a possible 10.5 incher.  Now I gotta prove the Channel cat theory.  Anyway, top fish for the day were a 7.5+ pound bass at 22+ inches (but the gut was the mass maker) a 14 inch crappie with three others to end the day at 11 inches van's gill, and a pick at 24+ inches.  In know that maybe it aint nothing special, i'm sure the same fish can be caught at promised land or shohola for sure.  But after weeding out well over 500 perch from this lake since mid november, we may be seeing the start of what lurks in this lake.  these fish are so full on these perch, they have no need to eat a shiner, and since we are slowly picking away at the perch, these fish are starting to show and can only be bigger.  So for monroe, its an accomplishment, and the fish aint that shabby.

Story #2, crappie.  See, i invited van, diz, and ARpete up to prove to me that there were craps in the lake.  heck, Van was already swearing away that there were no crappies in there, that the few 1.5 inchers pulled out of the perch's gut were simply misidentifications of tiny bass and sunnies.  Well, with 4 fish, including the ridiculously fat 14 incher, we proved there here, now we just gotta find where they lay.  Boys, i leave that up to you.

Diz, van, ARpete, MarkD I leave Lake monroe in your hands.  I know your lakes close to home are freezing so no more need to drive up here, but just know its here waiting for you.  i'm leaving the dang thing alone for the next month.  I got so many other lakes I got to hit, I need to get out.  And with the Susquehanna and delaware both gonna be safe this weekend, walleye will take top honors.  Gotta be normal for once and fish something Public, dangerous, and for a good still many people out there, as unsafe as promised land. 

Van, add what you will, and if you boys hit this lake up, i expect a report.  Drop me a line whenever you want.

Dr. JM

the gang with Van, the oddball, jigging all the way in the back there

Van's puny 9.5 incher

the close up

the runt 9.5 on bottom, and possible new tourney leader on the top at 10.5

a small 20 incher to start my day

One happy drunk

two happy drunks

a third happy drunk in an awesome pose

Line em up

Feeding a poor european nation one day at a time

Me saying goodbye to monroe for now

Offline jasong31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:14 AM »
That is some lake you got there JMiser.... I gotta buy me a house on it...  LOOLOLOL

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:32 AM »
BOOM!
(that was my jaw hitting the floor)

I would say “nice fish!” but that would be ridiculously overstating the obvious… so all I can say is…  :o  :o  :o

Offline slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #78 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:45 AM »
mmmmmm... those pickeral look mighty tastey!!!
YOU'RE IN MY HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:51 AM »
OK JM, great job with the pictures as usual. I've got some decent shots, but our computer won't recognize the SD card, so they'll have to wait. After a great day out, I was dying to catch a crappie. One of the crew bagged two as he was pulling up his tip ups. I jigged a mess of holes as the light went, but only, (I'm getting spoiled ) came up with perch, gills, and seeds. I started dragging back to the truck, and decided to drill and fish two last holes, at the scene of a dusk tackle thrashing from a previous trip. (cost me a nice Frostee jigging spoon) The first hole was blank, but on the second, I marked, hooked, and iced a nice 11'' crappie. Thank goodness for my lighted hat, it was plenty dark at 5:35. It was a story book ending to a fine day. Also, the first time I've wobbled on the way to a flag, courtesy of the grain. Many thanks to JM and the Polish crew; now, I'm starting to think about some of the local lakes. One final note, I measured that one crappie at 15", on my sled yard stick.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Jan 12, 2009, 12:44 PM »
Here's a couple:
Night time is the right time!

Pocono late afternoon

Deadly dead stick!

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:19 PM »
VC, did you enter that 10+ gill in the tourney?

That could be a winner.

Offline aklimbing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Homemade Money Saver
« Reply #82 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:48 PM »
I got to fish a private lake today in Monroe. Saylorsburg lake. only got out for a little while in the evening hours 3 to 530. boy were the trout bitting. caught 8 in no time at all. let the smaller ones go and kept the big ones for dinner. the ice was about 3.5 in spots. needless to say, i only fished in about 2ft of water (just in case). great day!!!
Life is about the Journey, it's not about the End

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 19, 2009, 05:59 PM »
Now how to start this reply.  I'm in a lot of pain.

After 3 days on the Susquehanna and seeing a bunch of odd people I didn't know, I felt crowded and knew it was time to go hit up some private water again.  5 from the polish gang and me decided that Gruber Lake had not seen a fisherman since we were on it last year, so we should go take this lakes virginity.  And give it up, it did.  From 830 until 4, no one had more than 5 minutes to sit down and catch their breath.  At one point, I think we had 8 flags in the air.  The channel was the place to be, 6 feet deep and stacked with bass, pickeral, perch, and a pair of crappie.  18 dozen shiners gone to the tune of 24 bass taken home, 24 pickeral taken home, 15 perch, and 2 crappies.  Released countless others that we just didn't want to deal with.  9+ inches of ice with some overflow.  Got a few hog perch in the mix, but I know somewhere in this lake is a tourney winner.  Will try again wednesday or thursday and head up the creek.  Dizzy, you in buddy, might kill the boredom of Minsi and the closest private pond I got to ya.

Dr. JM

Morning on a virgin lake

Cutting the first holes of the year

yet another bass

and another

a trash bag full of bass

another bag full of pickeral

And for you panfish guys out there

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:02 PM »
JM you are the Ice Fishing Guru.....  :bow: :bow: :bow: Are you related to Dave Genz?... :) :) :)

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #85 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:40 AM »
JM, what are ya doing with all the green carp *vomits* I know you certainly ain't eating those disgusting things. Garden fertilizer maybe?  Shoulda left em on the ice for the bald eagle I know is around that area  ;) ;)

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 20, 2009, 05:36 PM »
JM, what are ya doing with all the green carp *vomits* I know you certainly ain't eating those disgusting things. Garden fertilizer maybe?  Shoulda left em on the ice for the bald eagle I know is around that area  ;) ;)

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

:nono:           

Mike  ;D
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:07 PM »
JM you are the Ice Fishing Guru.....  :bow: :bow: :bow: Are you related to Dave Genz?... :) :) :)
Actually he is related to Dave Genzky. While the Genz family is famous for their mobile jigging approach, the Genzky clan is better know for there tip up style of fishing. It's an age old European method that involves grilling Kielbasa, and consuming grain alcohol. The results speak for themselves. LOL!

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:23 AM »
Actually he is related to Dave Genzky. While the Genz family is famous for their mobile jigging approach, the Genzky clan is better know for there tip up style of fishing. It's an age old European method that involves grilling Kielbasa, and consuming grain alcohol. The results speak for themselves. LOL!

I wonder if the smell of grilling kielbasa permeates down through the ice and gets the fish in a feeding frenzy?  ???

Maybe I just need to rub my jigging spoons against my kielbasa before dropping it down the hole from now on?  ::)  :D

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:42 AM »

More food! , More Hard liquor , I'll have to try that. It cant hurt.... :laugh: :laugh:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.