The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Arthur 2017 - 2018  (Read 41592 times)

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Arthur 2017 - 2018
« Reply #360 on: Feb 03, 2018, 02:05 PM »
 well I got to fish McDaniels for the first time unfortunately only caught one perch on a Mini but I did get to meet slider and as I was leaving I think I saw 4 x 4 dad in the parking lot about 12:30

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #361 on: Feb 03, 2018, 07:13 PM »
Hit the lake this AM.  Bite was hot first light then slowly died off come 9 ish.  Tons of dink gills, perch, and crappy.  Managed a few keeper crappy. Half a dozen Erie sized keepers gills and pumpkin seeds.  2 bass.  And a few other  tasty fish.   

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #362 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:01 AM »
well I got to fish McDaniels for the first time unfortunately only caught one perch on a Mini but I did get to meet slider and as I was leaving I think I saw 4 x 4 dad in the parking lot about 12:30

Well ...., we didn't actually get to McDaniels launch until about 2pm or shortly after . All in all , our new shelter and daughters maiden voyage turned out really well . We didn't catch anything , but was still a nice time out together and of course my daughters pet rabbit . On that subject , I would like to apologise to whoever my daughter and the rabbit disturbed . I was in the shelter fishing and I guess the rabbit took off over to someone in a Flipover Clam shelter and my daughter had to run up to get him . May have startled the gentleman . The only mishap we had was me not reading WARNINGS on toe warmers of all things . I used a couple , but instead of putting them in my boots , I was lazy and just put them on my shins on the outside of a pair of thin wool socks . HOLLY MOLLY ! ! ! I could tell they felt hotter than normal and took them off when we got back to the truck . I could still feel an uncomfortable feeling where they were . When I got home and took my socks off I had 2 50¢ size blisters on my shins ! ! I'm not a overly sensitive type person , so that's not a issue . When it says PLACE ON OUTSIDE OF SOCKS they're serious ! Other than that , I can't wait to get back out again .

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #363 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:46 AM »
 wow 4 x 4 dad that's a nice setup I see your daughter settled in with the mobile device and I assume the rabbit is in the cage lol

I finally caught something worth taking a picture of

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #364 on: Feb 04, 2018, 11:36 AM »
Nice fish Tony !  Thanks , we really like the new shelter .Yes Sir . She was content with her phone and bunny & books . We just need to apologise to whoever was in the shelter that her rabbit took off to visit . She ran up to fetch him back and probably startled the poor guy in the shelter . LOL !  Now that you can identify our shelter , please feel free to stop by and visit if you see us out on the lake . We didn't catch anything , but still had great father/ daughter time . I was in to much of a hurry to start fishing . I need to allow the fish finder to do it's job and find good structure before I start drilling holes , like I used to back years ago . One thing I did find out about having a heated shelter , you really need the crampons for your boots once the ice starts melting inside . It got kinda slick in there after a couple hours . Oh , and foam rubber carpet padding soaks up the water melting from the heater . I was thinking about one of those anti-fatigue mats you put in front of the kitchen sink area . Don't know if they also soak up water though ? I know guys here say to use those foam puzzle pieces , but I'm not sure how slick they may be on the ice . When I take my handicap buddy out , I need to consider all possible mishaps . Indoor / outdoor carpet maybe ?

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #365 on: Feb 04, 2018, 01:37 PM »
 I was at McDaniel's launch to the right of that in about 20 feet of water when the crappies turned on about 12 ish I caught about half a dozen which were medium to small size but I was catching fish... and yes I put them back in the rabbit hole LOL no pun intended 4x4 dad.... glad you and your daughter had such a great time and certainly I will stop by if I see you tight lines and be safe

Offline HighTecHillbilly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #366 on: Feb 04, 2018, 02:56 PM »
Seen the rabbit on the lake yesterday after it got to my buddy's hut.Pounded the dink bluegill till dark and then the bite was off.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #367 on: Feb 04, 2018, 06:15 PM »
Seen the rabbit on the lake yesterday after it got to my buddy's hut.Pounded the dink bluegill till dark and then the bite was off.

I'm glad you guys were entertained . LOL ! Rabbit hole .... good one ! I was just worried she would bother someone when she had to chase him down . Thanks for having a good sense of humor . She actually told me some guys were laughing at her chasing him down . HTH , I'm glad somebody caught fish . I was showing some on the finder , but no biters . Even if they did , it better be walleye , big perch or crappie . I don't care for bass or bluegill . Anyone know of decent walleye holdings ? The only place I got into some real nice ones long ago was just off the roadbed off Nealy's Point . I even drilled a couple holes for a newbie that only brought a crowbar for holes . As they say , beginners luck , he pulled a 25 inch walleye out of the hole 15 minutes later . Needless to say , he was hooked ! Pun intended . LOL ! Have a good one guys and tight lines to you all .

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #368 on: Feb 04, 2018, 09:37 PM »
Went in at Zion church, walked down the right side, then walked across down the other side and ended up at the point accross from chuch and 528 launch. Drilled a ton of holes, but ended up catching about 30 fish, a mix of perch, gills, and crappie, mostly dinks, biggest was a 10.5 gill. Definitely not an easy day of fishing, 7-12ft seemed to be our sweet spot, pink jigs were the hot lure, tipped with maki plastics, or maggots.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #369 on: Feb 05, 2018, 06:35 PM »
 Outstanding catch. A 10.5" gill is a monster.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #370 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:03 PM »
I left a rod holder to the right and along the left shore in the beginning of the back cove.  If you grab it enjoy it saved me losing some poles.  Nice little spot off that point to gets to 20 feet quick.   
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #371 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Got into the gils and crappie again tonight. Set up a few tip ups for pike with some XL shinners on them for fun and then jigged for crappie. Hooked into something big early, the drag was froze up and I lost it at the hole despite my efforts with no drag, never did know what it was but it was big for my crappie rod. Dad showed up and brought some luck with him. Ended up with over 40 fish between him and I the last hour of light and more than a dozen of them being keepers with a few slab crappies. At dark we started to pack up and noticed one of the tip ups going off... got to it and had the biggest crappie of the year engolf a 7” shinner! It even ran almost 30 yards of line out, thought for sure it was a bass or pike till I pulled a huge crappie thru the hole.

Best part of ice fishing is never knowing what is on the other end till you pull it thru that little hole, and everything looks bigger as it comes thru an 8” hole.
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline danceswmuskys

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat more sea kittens. It's what's for supper.
« Reply #372 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:58 PM »
Got into the gils and crappie again tonight. Set up a few tip ups for pike with some XL shinners on them for fun and then jigged for crappie. Hooked into something big early, the drag was froze up and I lost it at the hole despite my efforts with no drag, never did know what it was but it was big for my crappie rod. Dad showed up and brought some luck with him. Ended up with over 40 fish between him and I the last hour of light and more than a dozen of them being keepers with a few slab crappies. At dark we started to pack up and noticed one of the tip ups going off... got to it and had the biggest crappie of the year engolf a 7” shinner! It even ran almost 30 yards of line out, thought for sure it was a bass or pike till I pulled a huge crappie thru the hole.

Best part of ice fishing is never knowing what is on the other end till you pull it thru that little hole, and everything looks bigger as it comes thru an 8” hole.
wow how big was the crappie?

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #373 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:16 PM »
Just Shy of 15”. No record but compared to the rest we have been catching this year it was big for us. My dad took a picture but didn’t have the flash on. I dont want to sound like “that guy” but the only proof I have is the other two guys fishing there tonight that saw it.
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #374 on: Feb 06, 2018, 04:32 AM »
dats awesome jagger allways luv ta hear those stories...biggins on da other end pullin drag....sweeet

Offline danceswmuskys

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat more sea kittens. It's what's for supper.
« Reply #375 on: Feb 06, 2018, 11:42 AM »
I believe you jagger I lost a big one at the hole in porters cove a while back. nice fish congrats. it was noticeably bigger than the 8" to 11" I was catching.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #376 on: Feb 06, 2018, 12:20 PM »
Congratulations Jagger . I'm hoping to have a good day like that soon . LOL !

Offline JLRhino911

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #377 on: Feb 06, 2018, 02:13 PM »
Just joined here so I could start posting on this thread...lol

We fished Saturday like 11-430 off McDaniels (Was in the Frabill Flip) caught bunch of blue gill and one crappie early in the 15ft of water around crib area east of the launch...we got bored with them and moved into the deeper water around 20ft caught handful of Perch like 7-11in (we kept a few) and one more small crappie...All the perch were puking up little shad...Lota lookers coming in as well on the Vexilar...

We caught every perch on 1/32 with plastics...

Will be out again this week...we have been looking for the bigger slab crappies, thinking about fishing shallower this week...Seems like most guys I talk to on other lakes are doing better in less than 10ft....i dunno

Offline treblesandshiners

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #378 on: Feb 06, 2018, 03:57 PM »
seen guys of watts bay and barber pt how is ice and bite their.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.