The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: IT LOOKS LIKE THE END IS NEAR  (Read 23059 times)

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: IT LOOKS LIKE THE END IS NEAR
« Reply #30 on: Feb 04, 2009, 06:12 AM »
I want to go back to school and become a weatherman.  Where else can you be wrong 6 times out of 10 and still have a job! :roflmao:  Here's to very late ice :tipup:
And make big money

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya' gotta kill it !, To grill it !
« Reply #31 on: Feb 04, 2009, 07:43 AM »

So true!!!    They call for dusting to one inch of snow....we got 4 inches. 
That was some SNOW SHOWER !!!...8 HOURS LONG !!

WHACK'EM!!! AN STACK'EM!!!

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 04, 2009, 09:40 AM »

Where else can you be wrong 6 times out of 10 and still have a job!

Ted Williams missed 6 out of every 10 for a whole year, and they still talk about it today as one of the greatest seasons ever. In fact nobody's been able to duplicate it since!  :D

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 04, 2009, 06:40 PM »
Reminds me of a joke about the Indian Chief having his tribe gather firewood for the winter. This takes place in modern times, so he calls the National Weather Service for confirmation. After being assured it will indeed be a cold winter, he orders the tribe to gather more wood. This continues a couple more times, each time the tribe gathers more wood. Finally, the chief asks the weatherman how he can be so sure it will be a severe winter, and is informed ,"It will be for sure, the Indians are gathering firewood, like crazy! Our original call was for an inch or less which was upgraded to 1-3." We got 5-6", the biggest storm in two winters here. On the plus side, the warm weather coming will have to melt the snow, before working on the ice. You guys in the Southeast better get you favorite plank ready.

icewagon

« Reply #34 on: Feb 08, 2009, 08:42 AM »
THE END IS NEARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRR   :icefish:                                             

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 08, 2009, 09:38 AM »
    I don't know about the End but there might be an Intermission for awhile around here. Die Hards will go out
get soaked. Cars, trucks, sleds, and 4 wheelers will fall through. Fines levied, rescue squads get in some practice, and Divorce lawyers see a boom in business. Not all that unusual. ;)

Spin                 

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 08, 2009, 10:40 AM »
The warm up doesn't bother me. Will help melt the snow on a lot of lakes and make pulling easier. Could actually help to add ice in some areas with the snow melting and freezing at night. Supposed to cool down next weekend also. What bothers me is rain, keep the rain away and the ice will be here for a while.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 08, 2009, 11:34 AM »
Though we have better than usual coverage on our local lakes, losing 5-6'' of snow in a single day will cause run off problems on lake with any real stream in flows. Water running over the top of the ice, being warmed by the sun is particularly destructive. Since they are already messing with lake levels in some places, the main cake will rise, further weakening the edges. I'm interested in seeing today's reports.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #38 on: Feb 08, 2009, 02:53 PM »
Still plenty of ice where I was on the Delaware  ;) ;)   fishing in the rain for about 15 minutes didn't make it all too much fun and then the wind picked up  :(
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 08, 2009, 03:19 PM »
Though we have better than usual coverage on our local lakes, losing 5-6'' of snow in a single day will cause run off problems on lake with any real stream in flows. Water running over the top of the ice, being warmed by the sun is particularly destructive. Since they are already messing with lake levels in some places, the main cake will rise, further weakening the edges. I'm interested in seeing today's reports.
  Van are we baking cakes or fishing  :roflmao:

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 08, 2009, 03:50 PM »
Went out this morning, and needed a 40ft. aluminum ladder to get on the ice! Came back a couple hours later, and had to swim to shore! Had a great day!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
;D ;D ;D

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 08, 2009, 05:09 PM »
cc; I didn't get it at first; had to reread my post. Don't make too many loud noises, the cake might fall! Did sound a bit like a cooking show. Seriously though, on lakes like MC where they knocked down the levels the edges are going to get unstable in a hurry. Be safe everyone, and watch for changing conditions. Take it from me, you don't want to be walking off at dark and have to cross a channel that has eroded down to an inch or so. Maybe some of the guys that are fishing Shohola will actually report on conditions.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 08, 2009, 05:38 PM »
If you're fishing a dam, and they're messing with the water levels. By all means, definitely moniter that. All joking aside. Be careful out there. Up north where I reside, we should be fine for a while...good fishin'...SalmonRebel. :tipup:

icewagon

« Reply #43 on: Feb 08, 2009, 06:27 PM »
Good posts guys !!!! Be safe   :icefish: no fish that I've seen yet is worth taking a swim for .

Offline jolie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 10, 2009, 10:27 AM »
doesn't seem like that much of a joke.

some persistant rain up my way.  Shoreline will prolly be trashed, won't it???   Not willing to cross the plank like those folks in Ohio.  any hope for safe ice on the shore anywhere this weekend by saturday morning in NW PA or SW NY???

anybody want to muse what Might hold up locally better than others???  my initial thoughts is that a big lake is a bad ideas (such as Kinzua).

Jolie
ice fishing;  I'm cold just thinking about it! lol

Offline Icefishin Wizz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lurker for Life
« Reply #45 on: Feb 10, 2009, 11:00 AM »
Time to pack up all your gear and put it away till next year boys. What a bunch of cry babies.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 10, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Time to pack up all your gear and put it away till next year boys. What a bunch of cry babies.

Dave, you know you'll be out somewhere icefishing after this weekend.
Ken                                          

Offline 97dend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 10, 2009, 11:10 AM »
I know I'm done unless we have another big freeze.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 10, 2009, 11:21 AM »
It's only the 2nd week of FEBRUARY... still got some winter to get through yet.

I guess it depends on where you're located, but most of the pplaces I've been fishing are 10+ inches... that ice isn't going anywhere until March.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 10, 2009, 01:47 PM »
GET OUT THE WOODEN PLANKS!!...THE END IS NEAR!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #50 on: Feb 10, 2009, 04:23 PM »
The hand augers going away for a while...the river ice is shot so I gotta stick to the 20"+ on the lakes now  ;) ;)

Jolie, Big lakes actually hold ice longer than small lakes. I've fished on bigger Pocono lakes weeks after smaller lakes have lost their ice. The only thing you'd have to watch on Kinzua is if the open the dam. I'll be up there this weekend and not even giving itr a second thought as to if the ice will be safe or not (while watching the flow monitors of the dam of course)
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 10, 2009, 05:55 PM »
I'll be heading somewhere this weekend. I shure havn't written off the season yet.

I remember the other we got warm temps and 2-4" of rain and had about 16"-17" of ice. I thought I was done for the season. The lake rose about 5' and so did the ice. When the water receeded the ice went down and I was on again in a week but the ice was only 11"-12".

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:09 PM »
GET OUT THE WOODEN PLANKS!!...THE END IS NEAR!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
was on a private lake yesterday 16 + tight to shore. Save the planks for march ;D ;D ;D
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline slap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:15 PM »
go fish the mornings,an jump off in the afternoon ::) ::)

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:19 PM »
The weather service is calling for great ice making temps in the Northeast starting Thurs. night. Lows in the mid teens will stiffen things up in a hurry, barring heavy snow. Here in the Southeast, we may be looking at too little, too late; rain could be a big player as well. Fingers crossed!

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:29 PM »
Fished on Promised Land upper lake today and the ice was a good 12" to 14" in. and locked up tight to the shore, a few days of rain and warm temps. won't hurt this place. To bad the fishing was terrible.... >:( >:( >:(

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 11, 2009, 07:36 AM »
If you see a 6'4" 280lb. long haired dude out there wearin' what might look like spandex. :o  It'll be me out there with my scuba gear on!! :blink: ;D ;D

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 11, 2009, 08:12 AM »

If you see a 6'4" 280lb. long haired dude out there wearin' what might look like spandex. :o  It'll be me out there with my scuba gear on!! :blink: ;D ;D

Now THERE'S a picture in my mind that I could have done without!  :D :o

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 11, 2009, 08:18 AM »
Now THERE'S a picture in my mind that I could have done without!  :D :o
I thought some of you, might feel that way. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 11, 2009, 09:11 AM »

Least you'll make good cover for the gills ! ;D ;D
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.