The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: IT LOOKS LIKE THE END IS NEAR  (Read 23060 times)

icewagon

IT LOOKS LIKE THE END IS NEAR
« on: Feb 02, 2009, 05:09 AM »
 The long range forecast for the month of Feb.is above normal temps.. Better get out this weekend . :unsure:

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: IT LOOKS LIKE THE END IS NEAR
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:05 AM »
What!  There's over a foot of ice on most lakes and we have plenty of ice fishing to go yet.  Warms temps during the day will not hurt the ice as long as it gets back below frezing at night.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya' gotta kill it !, To grill it !
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:35 AM »
Yeah. I don't think they're callin for multiple 70 degree days. With all the icepack on the lakes there's no way we will lose too much with some 40 degree days, especially if it's freezing, overnight.

WHACK'EM!!! AN STACK'EM!!!

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2009, 08:04 AM »
Stop being all 'doom and gloom'...we have plenty of ice fishing ahead of us still!  ;)

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2009, 08:07 AM »
Not sure what is considered "normal" temps for this time of year. Even 1° to 5° above "normal" is not going to damage the ice much. Might make some places tricky to get on and off of, but for the most part the main ice pack isn't going to go away anytime soon.
Hoping for another 6wks.+ of ice fishing  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2009, 08:26 AM »
I looked at the long range forecast for nepa the temps for the next 15 days are above average but only 1 night that's not below freezing should have no problems till at least the middle of march
Dave

icewagon

« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2009, 08:48 AM »
OK, I was just sitting here before I went to work this morning and was wondering what topic could bring around the most controversy.... I guessed right.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
                                                                                     Icewagon :tipup:

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:24 PM »
OK, I was just sitting here before I went to work this morning and was wondering what topic could bring around the most controversy.... I guessed right.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
                                                                                     Icewagon :tipup:
Went out this morning, and needed a 40ft. aluminum ladder to get on the ice! Came back a couple hours later, and had to swim to shore! Had a great day!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:27 PM »
In NEPA and the amt of ice here right now...we WILL be fishing well into March. GUARANTEED!!!!  ;D

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline AquaRoach

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2009, 04:47 PM »
The ice is gone on Paupac. Check out the dock cam @ Poconoweather.com.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2009, 05:14 PM »
paupac is always streaky....most of the lakes are going to be fine....dont be " al gore 'in us... ::) ;D

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2009, 05:21 PM »
Here's how I see it:
If the day time high temps are fewer degrees above freezing than the night time low temps are below freezing, then you don't/won't lose ice. example: day high is 36 but night low is 20, then the 4 degree above compared to the 12 degree below give you more freezing than thawing. Also keep in mind that the days are only STARTING to get longer, so the high temps occur later in the day, not the entire day.

Of course, this plays a bigger role when you don't have solid ice.
Ever have a day that started out with a solid surface frozen slush/wet snow, only to have it turn into one hell of a mess as the day warmed up?

My last trip last year was in mid March, and that years ice was frozen slush and it was an adventure in futility.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:27 PM »

the dock cam photo has been stuck on the same photo since June 2, 2008. I know you meant this tongue and cheek, but there is plenty of ice at the pack.
Ken                                          

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2009, 08:25 PM »
I think i'm going to put a paddle in my sled, just incase the ice melts when i'm out there. I hope it'll float me and my gear. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2009, 11:43 PM »
Trust me guys, there are some of us that may forgoe the southeast trout openeer and still be on the ice.  It almost seems with 18 inches of ice on some of the plateau lakes we may be icefishing into April.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:33 AM »
At first I almost thought this thread was serious....geez, I guess I shoulda had my coffee before I read it so I could realize the joke  :whistle: :whistle:

I'll still be driving on the ice for a while   ;D ;D ;D  Hell, I bottomed out my power auger with the extension on it ON A RIVER this past Sunday and didn't come close to hitting water  ;) ;)   All the lakes I've fished were pushing 13-20"+ of ice
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:55 AM »
Can't go by the weathermans forcasts either, especially if they are forcasting more than 6 hours into the future.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:06 AM »
I'm training to be an 'Ice-Road Trucker', and my trainer said that we'll be able to cross the ice covered lakes in PA., well into March! 8) :thumbsup: You ice fishermen(and women) had better watch that your not drillin' holes on those ice-roads, or the MAN :callcops: will be writting you up a citation! :callcops: :callcops: :callcops: ;D ;D

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:16 AM »
Can't go by the weathermans forcasts either, especially if they are forcasting more than 6 hours into the future.

So true!!!    They call for dusting to one inch of snow....we got 4 inches. 
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline FishinHardWater

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keepin it on the dry side since 2000
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:33 AM »

haha they call for 4 -8 " here and we get a dusting  :laugh:

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:33 AM »

They called for scattered flurries and I woke up to 2" this morning...wonder why we'll get today since they are calling for 1-3"  ::) ::)
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:09 AM »
Sundays paper called for 3-6 I woke up to not even a dusting this morning, the truck wasn't even white.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2009, 01:00 PM »
We had a light coating here, and the call was for 1-3. Better watch out for Weds.; snow showers! Translation: We don't have a clue! I was fishing the last time they called for snow showers, and it turned into 3.5" ! It was a was a he## drive home, since the city slicker Yuppies that have taken over the area, don't have a inkling of how to drive their big SUV's, especially when snow is concerned. On the plus side, arkansaspete and I had a good time on the ice.

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2009, 01:05 PM »
Best weather forecast I heard was a few years ago on the radio...The Gentleman said today it might rain....might not....LOL  And their is the radio station that plays all Polkas and announcer said ..Today we have snow fluffies....LOL   
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:27 PM »
Best weather forcast I have found is, put your slippers on, open the back door and look up. That's the only way I get my forecasts anymore. Today was supposed to be 15 mph. sustained winds, with gusts to 29 mph. I was on the ice today from 6:00 am to 11:00 am and was one of the nicest morning's I have been out this season, not a breeze what so ever....

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:00 PM »
I don't know about the weather man.But I do know here  in eastern PA the ice will be short lived I that weather man don't bring us some cold Arctic air.I was out fishing today & we still had 8" of clear ice. But it is getting soft cutting holes is like cutting snow cones!! :'( Soon it will be melting on the edges. & on the weekend calling for 50 degree days.

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:17 PM »
it just freakin became febuary some didnt get on till now last year

Offline artic blast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:04 PM »
this year has been pretty damn good for ice . for the first time in a while i was out before christmas last year i didnt get out untill the middle of january . any who the nite time temps will keep the ice around for a while. no need to roll up the panties just yet . smokem if ya got em. 
FISH ON !!!

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:28 PM »
I want to go back to school and become a weatherman.  Where else can you be wrong 6 times out of 10 and still have a job! :roflmao:  Here's to very late ice :tipup:
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline rob3197

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 04, 2009, 06:01 AM »
here is the only forcast you can trust tonight we will have increasing darkness followed by widely scatterd light yomorrow ;D ;D ;D ;D
remember there is no crying in icefishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.