Author Topic: ???Best tip up presentation for eyes???  (Read 3212 times)

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
???Best tip up presentation for eyes???
« on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:17 PM »
Ok...all you pros. We are allowed two lines in the water here in Saskatchewan. I want to run a tip up for walleye and plan to use the ruber band method explained on the "tip up" forum.
What i am wondering is .....how do i want my minnow to be presented? Do I want to float the minnow off the bottom with some sort of float device? Do i want to just hang the minnow straight down up off the bottom a couple inches?
Or..should i just lay it on the very bottom and the walleye will suck it off the bottom?

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ???Best tip up presentation for eyes???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:21 PM »
I have good luck with hanging the bait about 2" -8" off the bottom.  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline jgouldin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:10 PM »
I put my bait 1 to 3 feet off the bottom and put a splitshot about a foot above the minnow maybe two if the bait is bigger or lively.   I also have been using the  predator rigs (northern rigs) with two trebble hooks and  larger baits.
Gouldin

Offline 24-7 Fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:42 AM »
Off the bottom...make sure they're not able to hide in any weeds or moss.

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2012, 03:14 PM »
We can't use live minnows here. He will be using a frozen minnow.

adipose do you fish in a shack, or do you like to run n gun?  I think rather than a tip up you would be further ahead to just deadstick. 
Still counting.....

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2012, 09:22 PM »
walleye, perch and pike look up when they swim.  agressive fish will rise to the bait.    don't be afraid to hang a big minnow 3' - 4' above the bottom and catch the agressive fish. with a 5''-7'' sucker on your tip-up that high up. the little guys don't want to play around.

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:04 PM »
I am having a hard time locating walleye and wondering if I should try raising my bait up four to six feet off the bottom.. fishing no weedline resevoir and avg dept in the riverbed is 22 to 26 fow. this depth is pretty steady about a mile in each direction in this upper stretch of the feeder end of this reservoir. Do the walleye move around in winter or do they stay puddled up somewhere in the deeper Dam side of the reservoir? tia

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.