New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Mixed Emotions on First Ice ..Updated 2.22.07  (Read 7512 times)

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mixed Emotions on First Ice ..Updated 2.22.07
« on: Jan 19, 2007, 12:34 PM »
OK, so Tom Leitz and myself finally get out today on Moreau for our first ice fishing of the season and the trout bit was on 8) (picture to be posted later) I lost a big fat bas#### at the hole. Tom did to. But we managed to land a healthy 17 inch bow :flex: Others on the ice were chasing flags all morning. Everthing was great until.....
The Park police showed up. He proceeded to tell everyone on the ice(10 guys) to get off because it was deemed on safe(BTW everyone of us measured 4 inch's of ice). He took out license and handed out tickets, (not a warning). Happy F###### New Year to ya :o
My problem is that he referenced these little green, unofficial looking signs(with no park stamp/identification) that no one saw in the early morning dawn. For all we know they could have been posted while we were on the ice >:( I am all in favor of safety and would have gladly accepted the warning but we all got whacked with a soon to be fine >:(  Several of the men fished there yesterday and said  the signs were not there. Hmmmm. Makes me wonder. On top of that when we respectfully approached the officer, we mentioned that sometimes people not friendly(i.e. Peta ) to ice fisherman will post unlawful/unofficial signs. What day :'(
Here is the most expensive fish  i ever caught ::)
And here is what was in his belly...looks like little bluegills

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Re: Mixed Emotions on First Ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2007, 12:49 PM »
They can get tickets out for unsafe ice :o I would fight that ticket if it's not a law.
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2007, 12:50 PM »
sorry to here that jflood  :'( >:( >:( DAMN P.E.T.A!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2007, 12:51 PM »
some town or county lakes have a green flag and it says you need at least six inches of ice for it to be "safe" its more so they can cover their own arse  :-\

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2007, 01:24 PM »
some town or county lakes have a green flag and it says you need at least six inches of ice for it to be "safe" its more so they can cover their own arse  :-\

Cover their own arses from what ? NYS.General Obligations Law states :Weather or not the land is posted  landowners (in this case NYS) are protected from liability for non paying recreationest engaged in hunting,fishing  or trapping on their property.Because of this protection recreational liability lawsuits are uncommon.So you can't sue NYS if you got hurt icefishing.I suspect the ticket's were for tresspass which is BS. >:(

Offline GiddyUpNFish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2007, 01:29 PM »
WOWIE, talk about sucking the fun out of something!!!  Did he walk out onto the ice??  Should have told him to keep everyone happy and write one for himself, it is all about #'s, ha ha ha.  Just a tad bit rediculous if you ask me, but I do understand that if a rescue effort is required it involves them.  They need to understand MOST of us on this site have enough common sense and years of experience to make smart decisions.  We have been waiting to long for ice!!!!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2007, 01:30 PM »
Fight the tickets. That's my vote.

But then again this has become, tax, fee, fine and spend NY.  :P
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2007, 01:41 PM »
Fight the tickets. Who posted the sign? Park officials I suspect. They can't tell people to get out of a state park unless its closed. They can only tell you that maybe you should be advised to stay off the ice because its unsafe. On the DEC web site they state that 4 inches off ice can be safe so this means they are contradicting themselves. I had the same problem at Thompson's State park a few years ago with a park official and was told by the Park Police themselves that they could not kick me off the lake only advise me that the ice was unsafe(by the way it was over 6inches when they told me to get off). I would fight the tickets and ask them to put it in writing that there is some sought of official ruling that will keep you off the ice. Its almost like saying you cant take a boat out because of in-climate weather or theres to many boats out on a lake so its unsafe so you can't go out on the boat. Just my 2 cents good luck.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2007, 01:47 PM »
What a CROCK...as if they don't need to catch pedafiles, murderers and dope heads ???

Seems to be a fish at your own risk situation...oh well, sorry you got whacked :(

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2007, 02:05 PM »
yes it says that if you are on your own "private" property... there is a rule down in southern new york on some lakes that are town/county owned there has to be a green flag out....they dont want someone walking on 2 inches of ice and falling in and drowning becuase many people down here there families would sue the town for not protecting its citizians. i believe this rule is stupid if you are dumb enough and see the ice is thin why would you walk on it in the first place i do not agree with this at one bit.... fight the tickets!!!

just my 2 cents

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2007, 02:23 PM »
The state park police are pretty much like state troopers and it's pretty hard to argue with that 9mm on their hip and when they say leave, I'd leave or you might end up in handcuffs in the back of their car :callcops:  It sucks but they're pretty much the boss :-\ 

Yeah, don't get caught doing donuts in the parking lots of the state park...that kinda ticks em off too.   ::)

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2007, 02:30 PM »
How much were the tickets? 

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2007, 03:00 PM »
I would fight the tickets it's these little things that keep eroding more and more of our freedoms.

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2007, 03:03 PM »

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline Perch seeker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2007, 05:39 PM »
My question would be if 4" of ice is unsafe, what was the park ranger doing on the ice giving out tickets?

camo_fish

« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2007, 05:48 PM »
wow Jim, I would go to court on that ticket, I'm sure it's just local. Ticket will get thrown out but will have to pay court fee (processing) town's way to get extra $$$. IT TOTALLY SUX for sure, wow, what a bad day and yea,

How much was that 17" rainbow any way?

Offline Tom Leitz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2007, 05:58 PM »
I might fight this, even though it will probably cost me more (in terms of lost work time) than paying the fine.  Fortunately, I took the day off and was able to hit another lake and keep fishing.  Took the bad taste out of my mouth.

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2007, 06:22 PM »
4" of black ice ( it looked black to me) will hold up a small vehicle. Infact , I fished around several in rouses point once. It actually looked like a parking lot. If it was me, I'd drive out on the ice, take a pic, then go to court. But that's me.

You need to take a pic of the sign and post it, or at least write down what it says, then post it. Also, the signs were not  in the proper place if you didd'nt see them. I would get your camera, park your truck where you did, then take pictures of where the signs were.

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline bigcatch81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2007, 06:27 PM »
Yeah that does suck and i would fight it. I went there last year with a buddy and there was only 3 inches of ice. I stopped at the office and asked how much ice there was and they said that they werent sure and to be carefull. Never had any problem at all. Two of the people that were at the office came down to check things out and sat in the shanty with us. Fed them some venison and they were on thier way. Sorry to hear about that guys.

Offline MACK_USCG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout Assassin!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2007, 08:04 PM »
I'm sorry to hear your trip got ruined.  I agree with everyone else and I would fight this one! Someone probably pi$$ed in his cherios that morning and wanted to take it out on you guys.  Heck he probably wont even show up to court for that and the judge will throw it out. Just pray the judge is an ICE Fisherman!!  ;D

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2007, 08:21 PM »
They are probably lookin for revenue! With no snow for snowmobiles and no ice, no tickets written the coffers are probably pretty empty! If you start a defense fund I 'll donate!! ;D

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2007, 08:58 PM »
Well guys, thank you for all the support. Fight the power.  :flex:Don't know what the fine is yet. The officer thought it could range from $50 to $100, maybe more :-[ I took picture, so did others, don't worry about that...keep ya posted on this.
BTW, what do I need to do with the tourney entry ???

camo_fish

« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:24 PM »
BTW, what do I need to do with the tourney entry ???
post your 2 pictures into the tourney fish topic and Lonewolf will take it from there, he'll PM ya what measurement that he came up with from your picture.  ;D WTG on the rainbow, sux about the visit from the man in green.  :-\

1 picture with tape, card, fish
1 picture with you and fish while on the ice

Offline bassman79

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish on get the net!!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:56 PM »
those tickets are a joke i would let em lock me up and give me three squares a day for awhile!!! that makes about as much sense as telling someone to get their boat off the water cuz its too windy!!! we live in a free country until you want to do something!!! bassman 79 ;D ;D
work is for people who dont fish!!!!!

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2007, 10:52 PM »
HOLY CARP!!!!! I never knew rabbits could spell!!!! lol

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2007, 11:39 PM »
Fight it for sure. Knowing that area, chances are the judge is a sportsman who has ice fished on less than 4 inches. No one saw the signs huh. Probably because they were put out after you guys were on the ice.

What the heck ever happened to people taking responsibility for their own actions?

The government has become a big babysitter.

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2007, 12:00 AM »
This is another prime example of the law being made to protect idiots. I'm sure you ant the others out there had the common sense and knowledge to know that the ice was safe, but because of the idiots thag go out on unsafe ice and fall through, the rest of us must suffer. All it takes is one beaurocrat to hear about someone doing something stipid and BAM!!! there is a new law to further restrict our freedoms. I think this is total BS and I hope you fight it. This is a violation of our rights.

Offline devo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:23 AM »
I would fight the tickets it's these little things that keep eroding more and more of our freedoms.
This is the kind of crap our elected officials waste our taxpayers money on.Tell your congressmen!!!
-Voted most likely to get hurt 2010
-Secret Agent Man
-2013 Icemasters "Ironman" Angler of the year
-NY State Record Drum boat Captain, 2014-2016
-"Worst crew in all of drag racing” 2003

Offline pokerman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:05 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Too bad the morons in that photo couldn't suffer the same consequences as their "prey".  Big men.  Couple of f***n idiots.   Photos like these certainly give radical groups like PETA plenty of fodder, and cause others to join in their pursuits.

Pokerman

p.s.  that being said, its a shame that this country has become so over-regulated that we now have laws to protect people from themselves.  Would have been nice if the officers gave some sort of friendly warning the first time and asked folks to leave.

Offline bassman79

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish on get the net!!!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2007, 11:41 AM »
i feel compelled to agree with the message in that photo as long as those bunnies were shot legally i see nothing wrong with the photo--is it so unlike our photos here of a sink full of fish? hope we dont dont have peta lurkers here as they usually like to infiltrate sites like this one just to stir up trouble!! bassman79 ;D
work is for people who dont fish!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.