New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Perch for sale in Chaumont NY  (Read 7977 times)

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
Re: Perch for sale in Chaumont NY
« Reply #30 on: Feb 13, 2016, 05:55 PM »
I am curious about the biological explanation for this.  What is it about the area that can withstand no limits, but still be a thriving perch population year after year?  What's the secret?  If it only is was something we could extend to other areas of the state (I am talking about the continuously thriving perch populations)!

I think its pretty simple, the fisherman are the variable, without them there would probably be a massive amount of dinks.. Believe it or not perch can destroy a lake pretty fast and over run it.. I can name a half dozen lakes off the top of my head that are chock full 5 inch perch 1 in particular you literally cant find an area of the lake where they arent there and every single one of them is 3-5 inches..There is literally without exageration millions of them...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 13, 2016, 06:09 PM »
I think its pretty simple, the fisherman are the variable, without them there would probably be a massive amount of dinks.. Believe it or not perch can destroy a lake pretty fast and over run it.. I can name a half dozen lakes off the top of my head that are chock full 5 inch perch 1 in particular you literally cant find an area of the lake where they arent there and every single one of them is 3-5 inches..There is literally without exageration millions of them...

Sounds like Canadarago

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Feb 13, 2016, 06:12 PM »
Sounds like Canadarago

years  ago  that was a  great  perch lake  then  the  50 limit  then I think they went to a  25 fish limit

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 13, 2016, 06:19 PM »
Yea it's 25 now

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 13, 2016, 07:51 PM »
it's  not only  legal  but  considered a  part of  proper fish management  from the  new  York DEC  that's  why  Jefferson county has  no perch limits   and  most  fisherman on Chaumont sell the  fish  ....  it's  been going on for  years  for a  reason

Trapper, now that this no perch limit has been around for years, do you see an increase in the size of perch that are caught at Chaumont??

Offline ESKIMOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 13, 2016, 08:21 PM »
well its not hurting population ontario has netting fleets taking perch in canadien waters...lake erie canadien netting fleets....pennsylvania nets..some people fish some people socialize...let the average licensed holding man do as he pleases with his perch.......godbless

Offline HudsonRiverRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2016, 08:39 PM »
It's legal.    Now pass the popcorn...

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 13, 2016, 09:01 PM »
Sold them for years on oneida but there are no local buyers that I know of anymore but would again if there were any buyers. As far as jefferson co. /St. lawarence and ontario thats a huge body of water wont hurt a thing..... OH YEAH ITS LEGAL to each there own

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Feb 14, 2016, 02:20 PM »
Trapper, now that this no perch limit has been around for years, do you see an increase in the size of perch that are caught at Chaumont??

perch your under a misconception the limit wasn't lifted  from Chaumont there never was one,  no new York waters had any limits on any panfish until the 1980's this wasn't  indroduced to the legislators  by the DEC  but by sporting clubs  .....Jefferson and St. lawarence county  didn't go along with it ....do I honestly notice any  differences  no I  don't  I do see a difference in that area, I have noticed in som lakes  where a limit was placed a lot more  dinks and stunted  fish  same  with bluegills ...... Oneida  lake  I can't really  say  because  the  perch  fishery in my books isn't as  good  as it was  but the  walleyes  are  10X better and  they compete  for food ...I think that's a fair swop and  we have the  best walleye lake in the country .....limits are not  always a  answer sometimes  culling the  herd  is  needed , we are apart of  the  earths  eco  system man is ment to live off this land we  are  not the problem  we are  the  solution ................eat fish live longer

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 14, 2016, 05:01 PM »
$2.50 a pound, go get-em

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #40 on: Feb 14, 2016, 07:51 PM »
Sounds like Canadarago
yah, i dont fish canadarago, but a good friend of mine fishes it regularly ( he has had a place there for many years ), he says its not 1/4 of the perch fishery it used to be...Ive seen polaroids of 12 inch perch lined up head to tail on a full sheet of plywood from there..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 15, 2016, 06:01 AM »
Back about 5 yrs ago canadarago was awesome for perch I fished it alot when I lived down that way the perch are stunted now but I have to believe there's still some nice perch in there...could limit out on 12 inches in an hr or less back then...good year lake is also a 25 fish limit ..but there really big perch and gills and selling fish isn't bad its money to be made so why not..

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 15, 2016, 06:53 AM »
Report it, maybe they will let you write off your bait...lol...h2l

Certainly if the income is reported then the cost of doing business is deductible from the Income and that would include bait, lodging, food costs in excess of what would be anticipated as normal at home, tackle (or depreciation on it), even a percentage of the vehicle.  With a good accountant, he might end up with almost no tax liability.  At one time, if you did this for 7 years without making a profit, IRS would disallow after that (but you still owed the tax on the income), but I knew people that ran "hobby businesses" that went red for 6 years and then made money in the seventh for long periods of time.  I don't know what the tax code says about all this now as I only get a call to play music once or twice a year and its not worth keeping the books for the deductions, so I just add whatever the pay was to income, but if you are selling a lot of panfish and looking to stay street legal, it might be worth talking to and accountant.  You could also look for one that likes perch and barter for the fee! LOL!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Feb 15, 2016, 01:06 PM »
you don't have  to report  selling  fish if your  a non commercial   hook and line  fisherman  it's considered a hobby  the same is true with trapping ....the government has always known if it was a  business  then  the write offs  would  out weigh any income and  one would  actually be able to lower there income tax  ....not to mention you would  be  entitled  to apply  for grants and  government loans .....

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 15, 2016, 05:57 PM »
you don't have  to report  selling  fish if your  a non commercial   hook and line  fisherman  it's considered a hobby  the same is true with trapping ....the government has always known if it was a  business  then  the write offs  would  out weigh any income and  one would  actually be able to lower there income tax  ....not to mention you would  be  entitled  to apply  for grants and  government loans .....

It's only considered a hobby if you do not intend to make a profit. If you make a profit 3/5 years you are in it to make a profit. These are the rules for our ''hobby'' farm.  Federal cut off is $400 then you have to pay self employment tax.  Will they come after you for a few thousand, maybe??
We went through it with our farm.

I know, I know get the popcorn ect ect.  I really could care less if anyone sells,  it is legal as can be, but the proceeds can be taxed.

Hobby (Not-for-Profit Farming)

An activity is a hobby if it's primarily for fun, recreation, or sport without any intention of making a profit. Any income from a hobby farm is reported on the first page of Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return under "Other income," not on Schedule F (Form 1040). Expenses of a hobby can only be deducted on Schedule A (Form 1040), Itemized Deductions. Furthermore, the IRS prescribes the order and method for taking hobby-related deductions and limits the amounts that can be taken. Ultimately, hobby losses can't be used to offset unrelated income.

The IRS will presume a farming activity is being conducted for profit if it produced a profit in at least three of the past five tax years, including the current year. (For equine operations, the presumption is two of seven years.) If the years-of-profit test isn't met, it doesn't automatically mean the activity is a hobby. Instead, IRS will consider other criteria in its determination, including the following:
 Extent to which the activity is conducted in a businesslike manner
 Time and effort spent on the activity
 Taxpayer's dependence on income derived from the activity
 Whether activity losses are due to uncontrollable circumstances or are typical for similar start-ups
 A farmer's or their adviser's expertise and knowledge related to the activity
 Expectation that assets used in the activity will appreciate in value
 Taxpayer's success in carrying on similar activities in the past
 Efforts to change methods of operation to improve profitability
 Amounts of occasional profits from the activity, if any

No single factor indicates whether an activity is carried on for profit or not; all facts are considered.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #45 on: Feb 15, 2016, 06:20 PM »
So....in other words.... as long as you spend more on icefishing equipment (tools of the "business") than you make selling your fish, you are ok.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 15, 2016, 06:41 PM »
Geez. Where do input this info. Been spending an awful lot of money for no return....

Offline Icicle1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 15, 2016, 06:44 PM »
This is the IRS. We have you under surveillance. Please send check to Protect The Fisheries immediately or we'll tax U.
Is it sometimes a fish being caught or you?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Feb 15, 2016, 06:55 PM »
It's only considered a hobby if you do not intend to make a profit. If you make a profit 3/5 years you are in it to make a profit. These are the rules for our ''hobby'' farm.  Federal cut off is $400 then you have to pay self employment tax.  Will they come after you for a few thousand, maybe??
We went through it with our farm.

I know, I know get the popcorn ect ect.  I really could care less if anyone sells,  it is legal as can be, but the proceeds can be taxed.

Hobby (Not-for-Profit Farming)

An activity is a hobby if it's primarily for fun, recreation, or sport without any intention of making a profit. Any income from a hobby farm is reported on the first page of Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return under "Other income," not on Schedule F (Form 1040). Expenses of a hobby can only be deducted on Schedule A (Form 1040), Itemized Deductions. Furthermore, the IRS prescribes the order and method for taking hobby-related deductions and limits the amounts that can be taken. Ultimately, hobby losses can't be used to offset unrelated income.

The IRS will presume a farming activity is being conducted for profit if it produced a profit in at least three of the past five tax years, including the current year. (For equine operations, the presumption is two of seven years.) If the years-of-profit test isn't met, it doesn't automatically mean the activity is a hobby. Instead, IRS will consider other criteria in its determination, including the following:
 Extent to which the activity is conducted in a businesslike manner
 Time and effort spent on the activity
 Taxpayer's dependence on income derived from the activity
 Whether activity losses are due to uncontrollable circumstances or are typical for similar start-ups
 A farmer's or their adviser's expertise and knowledge related to the activity
 Expectation that assets used in the activity will appreciate in value
 Taxpayer's success in carrying on similar activities in the past
 Efforts to change methods of operation to improve profitability
 Amounts of occasional profits from the activity, if any

No single factor indicates whether an activity is carried on for profit or not; all facts are considered.

gee this has  scared me  straight I promise  to  declare all income  to the  government and i'll never sell another  fish or piece of  fur ........... :roflmao:

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 15, 2016, 06:58 PM »

I almost(almost) understand beating this dead horse once a year, but do we really need to do it more than once a year????? :cookoo:
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 15, 2016, 07:01 PM »
I was reading about the sale of perch awhile back and was amazed to find out how much in demand those tasty little fishes are. In Some areas fish processors get 12 /14 dollars a pound  for fillet and other places were 20 to 26 dollars a pound for fillet, where Ten pound packages of yellow perch fillets went for like $200 to $260 dollars. I'm not sure if they are still selling them for those prices, but they did at one time.
 $ 2.50 a pound live weight now upstate NY......   Lot's of yellow perch are bought and sold up in Canada too.

I'm putting every perch I can catch into my freezer, because I love to eat them. :icefish:
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 15, 2016, 07:12 PM »
local resturants sell a 1/2 pound dinner for 17 to 23dollars

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 15, 2016, 07:52 PM »
gee this has  scared me  straight I promise  to  declare all income  to the  government and i'll never sell another  fish or piece of  fur ........... :roflmao:

My whole point was not about selling , buying or reporting income for the occasional seller. It was about people getting a government check that everyone on this board helps pay out of their pocket, but they are well enough to fish  to make a few thousand dollars. Now I think if you are well enough to fish that long you may possibly be able to work at a job to make that money and pay taxes on it like the rest of us. Now like I said I don't know everyones story so I am not one to be quick to make a judgment about their disability or what they need to do put food on the table.  What I do know is welfare, workmans comp and SSI fraud are rampant in this country and we ALL pay for it. Why should we pay someone to fish who can work while we all bust our butts so they can collect a government check.
I will get off my soapbox now and I apologize if I offended anyone. Like I said I am not quick to judge for a person to put food on the table or keep their house, or even make a few bucks on the side. If you are truly disabled and can fish so be it.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 15, 2016, 08:14 PM »
When it becomes a JOB, it is no longer fun...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Feb 15, 2016, 08:42 PM »
how many  9 inch perch to make a  pound of fillets?   but perch isn't the  only fish and  it's not just in new york   Indiana   sheephead are  big to sell ....  the  Asian carp is  being harvested and  sold  in Asian markets and  americans are reaping the  income  from what would be a  total nightmare ...vt and  a  few other states  crappies are still bought ..... sunfish white perch  carp rockbass  are and  have  been a  part of the freshwater market ..... how many people  have  gone  to a  diner for a  bullhead dinner  ????   this has  been going on since  people  settled in America  and  it's  going to keep going on ..... it hurts  no one  ,it helps  some  folks  with  bills  and  gas money ... every diner that serves  bullhead diners  pay waitress dish washers  and cooks  and they all pay taxes .....it stimulates  the economy ..... and  most of all gets people fishing ....

Clint  I was teasing you a  bite  little light hearted  humor is all  ... and  no i'm not  selling fish because i'm disabled I sell them to pay  for my  equipement and  gas   not to mention  how many fish can I eat??? I been selling fish and  fur  for  over 50years

mike  304 I don't know  why the  beating horse  the  last 2 threads about selling fish were to  answer a  question  and  then became  a conversation  that isn't talked about much  but is a  big part of our world and  more  people do it then anyone admits too ..... 

it's  been a  interesting talk with no name  calling or bashing ..... I enjoyed  it .....any one want  some  rock bass  cheap????

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 15, 2016, 08:55 PM »
how many  9 inch perch to make a  pound of fillets?   but perch isn't the  only fish and  it's not just in new your   Indiana   sheephead are  big to sell ....  the  Asian carp is  being harvested and  sold  in Asian markets and  americans are reaping the  income  from what would be a  total nightmare ...vt and  a  few other states  crappies are still bought ..... sunfish white perch  carp rockbass  are and  have  been a  part of the freshwater market ..... how many eople  have  gone  to a  diner for a  bullhead dinner  ????   this has  been going on since  people  settled in America  and  it's  going to keep going on ..... it hurts  no one  ,it helps  some  folks  with  bills  and  gas money ... every diner that serves  bullhead diners  pay waitress dish washers  and cooks  and they all pay taxes .....it stimulates  the economy ..... and  most of all gets people fishing ....

Clint  I was teasing you a  bite  little light hearted  humor is all  ... and  no i'm not  selling fish because i'm disabled I sell them to pay  for my  equipement and  gas   not to mention  how many fish can I eat??? I been selling fish and  fur  for  over 50years

mike  304 I don't know  why the  beating horse  the  last 2 threads about selling fish were to  answer a  question  and  then became  a conversation  that isn't talked about much  but is a  big part of our world and  more  people do it then anyone admits too ..... 

it's  been a  interesting talk with no name  calling or bashing ..... I enjoyed  it .....any one want  some  rock bass  cheap????

Trapp no harm no foul all is good. Should of got that off my chest in my first post.  It's like when I see someone at Wally world buying Lobster on EBT.  I have sold Perch for gas money more than once too.  I sell a few cords of firewood to buy a new saw, that's not much different. Your right though cordial and no name calling, keep stirring the pot and I may add a few ingredients every ne and then...........

Offline dgdan12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 16, 2016, 12:05 AM »
await how much for perch? I'm about sick of this hand auger if the hobby can pay for itself all the better

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.