New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Best place to live in NY...  (Read 7876 times)

JasonUpstate

Best place to live in NY...
« on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:09 AM »
I'm currently in house hunting mode... Been look at PA and surrounding areas of orange county ny... And orange county ny itself is looking to expensive for my taste... So if I want to stay in ny I will have to head either north or west...

So in your opinion.. If you could live anywhere in NY where would it be? And why? Of course fishing and the outdoors is a major factor in where you would choose along with a good area for kids and such...

Offline tucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best place to live in NY...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:15 AM »
Finger lake region.  Pretty country here.  Lots of fishing and hunting, get away from the big dumb cities.
in the heart of tax and spend NY

Offline ICE4ME75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:17 AM »
i'm with slipbob. great area.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:18 AM »
Ive got family around all corners of the state.  I've traveled NY extensively (with the exception of NYC and Long Island), and my favorite two areas to live for Hunting and Fishing are right here in the Capital District, and then the Plattsburgh area.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:26 AM »
ROCHESTER!!!!!!!!!! Minutes from Lake Ontario and 1/2 hour from Finger Lakes Region.  How can you beat that!  Actually, anywhere in this state is the best.  The only thing that is horrible is the taxes.

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:26 AM »
CNY=big lakes=big fish ;D     CNY=big forests=big bucks! ;D

JasonUpstate

« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:27 AM »
Thanks for the responses already guys.. That was FAST!!!

What part of the capital district? Ive been through albany on my way to troy to see my brothers band play at the hudson dusters before.. I wasnt too impressed with the area i went through to be honest... But more then likely it was just that area...

But yeah.. If you could give me a general area that would be great... This way I can research it better..

:)

Also one of these days I might have to take a ride up that way again... I definitly want to hit the king again this year...

Fishmon

« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:41 AM »
I grew up in the Glens Falls area and returned to capital district region (Saratoga) after spending time in various locations in New Jersey and New York.  I love it here.  The opportunities for outdoor activitities (hard and soft water fishing, skiing, golf, etc.) are exceptional.  I spend a lot of time in summer and winter on Lake George which I feel is one of the best outdoor destinations in this country bar none.  My wife and kids love it as much as I do.  Sometimes I feel like I am on a permanent vacation when I talk to visitors to area who travel long distances to get here.  We travel less than an hour and don't have to fork out a small fortune for motels, etc.

As a bonus, I have a state park within 10 minutes of my house with a lake loaded with rainbows that are a blast to catch on a fly rod.  Not bad for end of day activity.  I just wish that the walleye fishery on Lake Champlain could be improved to what it was when I was a kid.  It was nothing to catch a dozen or more plus a gazillion perch and crappies.  We used ancient equipment compared to what we use today, but fish did not seem to care.  LOL.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:47 AM »
There are so many nice places to live. I live currently in Montgomery county. I'm 30 minutes from Albany, 1 hour form Lake George (the best icefishing lake in the world) 20 minutes from the Adirondacks (the best mountain range in the world) and some of the best hunting and fishing is to be found around here. Not to mention cool places such as Howe's caverns, Vrooman's Nose, and countless good restraunts, businessess and people.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

billybono

« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:09 AM »
in my opinion you cant beat oswego county for trophy fishing year round and plenty of good hunting opportunities....but i can tell ya the city of oswego is a real real shady mess right now....google john gosek :)

billybono

Offline SUNYESF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:15 AM »
I'd have to go w/ oswego county too.  Trophy trout and salmon minutes away in Ontario and great walleye fishing in oneida lake.  Hunting is great too, have both southern and northern tier huntint opportunities, couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:24 AM »
Come up to Saratoga County, you won't be disappointed.  I could list all of the opportunities available within a 30 minute drive, but I am at work and do have to be productive today, so time will not allow a detailed list.  YOU CANT GO WRONG!!!
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline HomerJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:26 AM »
I grew up in orange county, great open water fishing for the spring and summer but dont look forward to any great icefishing spots.  I currently go to school in plattsburgh and i love it up here.  I think some of the best fishing in new york.

Offline recordbreaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:38 AM »
I'd have to go w/ oswego county too.  Trophy trout and salmon minutes away in Ontario and great walleye fishing in oneida lake.  Hunting is great too, have both southern and northern tier huntint opportunities, couldn't imagine living anywhere else.
I never saw you catch a walleye!!! only bass. guess i will have to show you how its done this winter.

billybono

« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:43 AM »
dont forget about the moster oswego harbor eyes eaither....too bad there only good for a pic and not the dinner plate

billybono

Offline Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:53 AM »
well being from central ny
i would say oswego county also

why......
oneida lake 2 minutes
oswego 30 minutes
lake erie 3 hours
lake champlain 4 hours
thousand islands 1 hour
finger lakes all within 2 hours
nuff said
Local Shop with Local Knowledge

Phone   (315) 676-2144
Website  https://www.facebook.com/BartelRdBaitTackle

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:55 AM »
....google john gosek :)

Ha... There is a lot more than just Gosek that should be googled from Oswego.  Some crazy stuff going on up there with the local government.

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2005, 11:06 AM »
Grew up on north of the city and learned to fish on the sound and montauk. A dream would be to summer there (montauk)and then winter in the Adirondacks. Both places have unmatched fishing and hunting.....yes theres deer on long island, big ole smasher bucks!!  :flex:

billybono

« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2005, 11:10 AM »
Ha... There is a lot more than just Gosek that should be googled from Oswego.  Some crazy stuff going on up there with the local government.

oh yeah i know.....but thats enough to keep one entertained for a while

billybono

Offline butterworm

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • the presidents office.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2005, 11:32 AM »
whats wrong with wny ??? fishing and hunting are great and the economy is messed up like every other part of this state ;D

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2005, 12:03 PM »
wherever you go, get a place on a lake or with land to hunt!!  if I had to do it, I would pick land to hunt, NEAR a lake with the type of fishing I like to do best...

dwayne

« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2005, 12:09 PM »
I grew up in western NY, spent about 7 years in St Lawarence county and now live in rural rensselaer county near albany.  I like where I am now for what it has to offer but I will come out and say what I like least about this area.  We are too close to Jersey and NYC.  I get tired of the "citiets" coming up in their full size SUV's and 500 dollar hunting outfits and pretending to be sportsmans.

Other than that, I would say the Albany area is great.  We have a stable economy.  I get 3 to 3.5 months of ice fishing in a year, average 2 to 3 deer, and catch enough stream trout to keep myself happy in the spring and fall.

I my true love is the north country but the work is limited for my wife and I.

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2005, 12:22 PM »
     I've been around, and around this great country on many occaisions for many reasons but I find New York to be the best place for me regarding education for me and my children, and my Grandchildren, which was,(is), a priority. The economic advantages outweigh many of the 'Other' advantages of other states due to the proximity of nearly everything else you might want, or need, to do.
     It might not be a bad idea to consider your reasons and reasoning for wanting to be in New York due to the taxes and such, but from my own experience each state will, and does, exact it's toll from you in one form or another. When I was in Washington State things were cheaper, untill I found out about registering vehicles,(Very highly Taxed), and some other things.
     All in all you have to figure that percentage of your earnings that will be required to maintain the lifestyle you are in tune with or want to maintain. To that end I might also suggest getting an Atlas-Gazeteer map book for about $15. and look at the areas that have, or include the things you want/have to do to enjoy life anywhere.
     Select schools, work, and other prioritized needs, draw a circle around each equal to ten miles, twenty miles, and so forth. I am 30 miles from Otesego Lake, Sacandaga, Albany, Schenectady, The upper tide line of the Hudson River for Stripers,(in season), The Catskill Mts., the Adirondack Mtns., the Mohawk River, SUNY Cobleskill, SUNY Albany, on Rt.20 in Carlisle, Schoharie County.
      The furthest I travel for all my fun is 110 miles to the Salmon River for that season, then back out of the snowbelt to more hospitable Schoharie County, 20 miles West of Schenectady.
        New York is great too, if you like to complain about things. You'll have plenty of complaining company but see few folks leaving. Years ago I evolved this saying, "If you want to see how folks did after leaving New York for a 'Better' place just hang out at home. They'll be back to tell you how bad it was 'Out There'. This in keeping with 'Chainsaw's first Law of Diminishing Enthusiasm'.
       I could go on as I'm rather a long winded poster, but we don't know what else you do. Good luck, and let us know what else you may need by way of suggestion or information. There are plenty of websites extolling the virtues of any State but the best sources could be among those sites whose activities and intrests you and your family are interested in, and maintained by the folks like us who actually are involved in them.
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2005, 02:19 PM »
You sure this wasn't started by a Maine guy just to try to divide and conquer. Gee Mac, I wonder why BPS chose Buffalo to build its third largest store in the country. This area must have something!!
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2005, 02:34 PM »
im goin to go with plattsburg on this one !!! i have family up there hunting and fishing is AWESOME !! only set back is finding a decent job but hey there out there!!!! tight lines :tipup:

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2005, 02:42 PM »
What wrong with buffalo. Everything he said is true. We have the best walleye fishing in our state, the best bass and perch fishing. We have some of the best paying jobs here too. Buffalo is a good place to live. The problem everybody around thinks it’s a crap hole. Its not, we have a lot to offer the people here. I lived in the sticks 40 miles south of buffalo but I’m still part of it, I work here and I plan to live here when I retire in a few years. New York State has a lot to offer its people.

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2005, 02:57 PM »
Don’t get your hopes up for bass pro coming here.

billybono

« Reply #27 on: Dec 13, 2005, 03:03 PM »
You sure this wasn't started by a Maine guy just to try to divide and conquer.

rotfl !!!!!!!yeah we had better just stick together here ;)

billybono

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 13, 2005, 03:10 PM »
I agree with Slip Bob.  I've lived in Oneida, Utica, Rodchester, Albany, and Syracuse, and the capital district in the best place to live in New York state.  Plenty of hunting and fishing, a lot to do, cool places to go and see, a couple hours drive from Adirondacks, Central New York, Boston, and NYC.  One of the best job markets in the state, and the weathers a whole lot nicer than western and central New York.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2005, 04:32 PM »
I love it up in the hilltowns of Albany County, I can do anything I want really. Lots of nice people, and a hell of alot of secret fishing spots.
Only place better? Maybe Crown Island on the king....I can dream... ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.